• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Recommendation on magazine.

The Truth

I'm thoroughly enjoying the comment section.

That's a good looking pistol, but seems like just a piece of jewelry for an officer. 7 round mags? Meh. I don't even like carrying 8 rounders. I guess for a Marine a sidearm is just a SHTF BUG.

Looks oddly similar to mine ;)
20141218_232048_zpsaf7f6876.jpg

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Magazines are the weak spot of a 1911, and I've tried 'em all.

At this point the only magazines I will trust in a carry gun are Checkmate mags with GI feed lips.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Damn, you guys must be old. revolvers and 1911s......

???

I've carried a 1911 since I turned 21 (which wasn't all that long ago).

Plus, for all the new models of firearms out there, basically nothing has been added to the fighting pistol that John Moses Browning didn't think of for the 1911. The major exception is double-stack magazines (which JMB thought of for the Browning Hi-Power), but several makers sell double-stack 1911s.

The few remaining exceptions (accessory rails) can be found on 1911s, as well.

I would say, "damn, you must be young", but that conveys little. More apt might be, "damn, you must be a member of today's generation, who apparently believes their world is a blank slate and age inversely correlates with value."

Folks like you are why Youtube has such terrible comments. :)

Last edited:

The Truth

Yeah, the 'old' comment seems a bit unwarranted, although I understand the way of thinking.

1911s are pretty much a must-have for anyone who desires a small collection of some of the most classic, reliable pistols ever made. There's a reason almost every manufacturer has their own "version" of a 1911.

The Big Guy

I took the CobraMag out today and it performed very well. No hang ups with the flat nose bullets. The Mec_Gar only seems to work on the ball, and still the occational nose dive lock up. I think I would definately use the
CobraMag for carry. The Mec-Gar relegated to range mags. Guess that's why they are only $12 ea.

Did have one odd thing happen though and it had nothing to do with magazines. My bullets were all cast at the same time, with the same batch of alloy, and all at the same temp. The size was checked intermittently. They seemed to be goood to go as cast so I didn't size them. In running some of them today a few of them failed to chamber and got stuck. I actually pulled the bullet out of the brass and had to ram the stuck bullet out of the chamber.

I guess for safety sake I'm going to size everything from now on.

TBG

Last edited:

The Truth

Since you're on the subject, I've got a question that I think I already know the answer to. I have probably 8 or so .460R bullets set aside that I believe need some work after testing some magazines with them...the bullet has become seated deeper in the brass due to jams while testing. As I said, I have them set aside until I can properly adjust them to specs, but my question is - am I correct in assuming that these bullets should not be shot until the bullet is reseated, or are they probably OK? Shooting them out of a Clark Custom Guns match grade stainless barrel with a fully supported chamber.

Again, I have them set aside and assume they are unshootable, just wanted a more experienced opinion. The worst of the bullets is probably pushed a millimeter, maybe 2 millimeters into the brass. There is at least one hard cast flat nose an the rest are Gold Dot JHPs. They were pushed in enough for me to notice.

Jeff Hayes

If a guy (or gal) was to make a 1911 their carry gun, what magazine would you rely on? I've tried the Mec-Gar, cheap, and with a little spring pruning is fairly reliable on ball ammo. With any flat nose such as truncated or SWC, they nose dive into the feed ramp and stall. If I drop down from the full 8 to 5 or 6 rounds, the reliability goes way up but still not 100%. Betwixt the Wilson, Chip McCormick, and the Tripp Cobra, what is the most reliable? Or any other recommendations. An arm that fails to feed any ammo at hand 100% of the time is usless for self defense carry. Is asking for a semi auto to be as reliable as a revolver too much to ask for?

TBG

Not trying to be a smart alec but the ones that work every time in your 1911 would be the ones I would carry. My Remington has never failed to feed etc with Chip McCormick & Wilson mags hates Mec gar, my Kimber likes anything, my buddies Kimber is finicky about ammo and mags to say the least. I think the only way to really know for your firearm is to shoot them until you find out which ones work and which ones do not for your 1911. Of course you will have to shoot hundreds maybe thousands of rounds to find out, LOL.

I tend to get rid of my carry mags after one or two malfunctions or I use them only when I am training, random malfunctions are a great training tool IMO.

Marco

The Mec_Gar only seems to work on the ball, and still the occational nose dive lock up. I think I would definately use the
CobraMag for carry. The Mec-Gar relegated to range mags. Guess that's why they are only $12 ea.

TBG

PM me your contact info and I'll send you a Wilson 10rd (gratis).

As a NV resident that DOESN'T GET OUT THERE TOO OFTEN I appreciate all you do for NV gun owners.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Since you're on the subject, I've got a question that I think I already know the answer to. I have probably 8 or so .460R bullets set aside that I believe need some work after testing some magazines with them...the bullet has become seated deeper in the brass due to jams while testing. As I said, I have them set aside until I can properly adjust them to specs, but my question is - am I correct in assuming that these bullets should not be shot until the bullet is reseated, or are they probably OK? Shooting them out of a Clark Custom Guns match grade stainless barrel with a fully supported chamber.

Again, I have them set aside and assume they are unshootable, just wanted a more experienced opinion. The worst of the bullets is probably pushed a millimeter, maybe 2 millimeters into the brass. There is at least one hard cast flat nose an the rest are Gold Dot JHPs. They were pushed in enough for me to notice.

As a general rule, you should not shoot handgun ammo that has had the bullet set back further into the case by a measurable amount. Is this commercial ammo or reloads? If the latter, what is the COAL (cartridge overall length) on the load data and the actual COAL on your ammo? If you want to calculate the actual difference in pressure, you can figure out what the inside volume difference is and then use the inverse relationship between volume and gas pressure.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

I do not recall ever having a malfunction with any of my 1911's, when magazines have been suspect in other cases, I compare the angle of the round as it sits at the top of the mag, that works well verses the angle of the round that sits at the top of the mag that malfunctions. (a protractor type gauge is handy for this) You will most likely notice that the two vary in angle by about 5 degrees or more. Likely because the radius of the feed lips is a little bit tight, or loose. After checking for and removing any burrs that are on the bottom edge of the feed lips, I use a punch and a 2 oz. hammer to massage (gently) the feed lips, until the angle of the round is the same in both magazines. Presto if your mag is otherwise in good shape you have given the gun no reason to malfunction.

The Big Guy

Did a bit of testing today. Took the 1911 to the range with a variety of ammo, and the 3 different mags that I have available, Mec-Gar, Wilson, Tripp-Cobra. The MG and TC are 8 rounders and the Wilson is a 10.

For ammo I had a couple of ball types, some HP's, and my cast flat nose. The Cobra fed anything I'd give it without a hiccup. Mec-Gar will only take a full load of plated ball and still the occational jam. It does not like the flat nose or hollow points and will only function with no more than 6 rounds loaded up. The wilson, which is a 10 rounder, functioned very well with ball and the HP's, but does not like the flat points either. I can't load more than 7, sometimes 8 of these without
a failure.

Guess that means when I carry the 1911 I use ball loaded up in the Tripp Cobra mag for reliability.

By the way I want to thank Marco for sending me the Wilson. The 10 rounder is nice to have at the range as it gives me more chances to actually hit the plates without reloading. It was hard to hold steady in the wind today. Well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

TBG

The Big Guy

My pleasure.

That mag is like new and I used it with 255gr HC similar to these with no issue, along with JHP and FMJ's.
Can you post pic's of the rds your are using next to a factory loaded?

I'll snap pic tomorrow. I still have some of the 2 different brands of factory ball and my reloads but I shot up all the HP's.

TBG

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
I'm thoroughly enjoying the comment section.

That's a good looking pistol, but seems like just a piece of jewelry for an officer. 7 round mags? Meh. I don't even like carrying 8 rounders. I guess for a Marine a sidearm is just a SHTF BUG.

Looks oddly similar to mine ;)
20141218_232048_zpsaf7f6876.jpg

Rails belong under trains, not 1911s.

Unless, of course, you need someplace to mount turn signals and hang your fuzzy dice.