Thread: Coffee With a Cop - while OC

Coffee With a Cop - while OC

Today the Des Moines Police Department had a "Coffee with a Cop" near where I live in Des Moines. DMPD likes to have regular sessions with the public by their front line officers. I think this is a really good idea with a lot of mistrust of LEOs by the public at large. Of course, this mistrust is perceived to go both ways. I went while OC - which isn't something I have done in a while. Guess what happened ... NOTHING.

The point of these get togethers is to just talk - no speeches, political inclinations, or anything along those lines. The firearm was never mentioned once. They did make a point that they would like their superiors to come to events like these so the public can ask questions and address concerns directly.

All in all it was a positive encounter.

Founder's Club Member
    Glad to hear it went well. Hope it yields positive results.

The couple public-cop get-togethers I have attended, the cops were busy trying to put a few over on the citizens, using their supposed role as experts against citizen ignorance of rights to give the citizens the impression the cops had their best interests at heart. My position is that if cops would just knock off the nonsense, respect rights to hell and back, and get rid of the bad apples, they wouldn't need to build bridges. And, building a bridge while leaving the bad abutments and piers unaddressed makes me think the builders don't really intend anybody to use the bridge; just make it look good.

But, I'm an optimist. If your events lead to genuine positive change beneficial to both sides, great!
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

That's good. Not all LEO's are ass hats.

The Right Way!

I have always believed that this is a great way to advance "open carry." At almost every OC breakfast, lunch, dinner, picnic, etc, the OCer's should invite Leo's to "break bread." What is wrong with laughing, joking, and furthering our cause? Don't be unnecessarily obstinate.

Yeah, we thought about having 'Coffee with a Technologist' to reassure them that we wouldn't do something to threaten their lives and that we'd act professionally and calmly, but it didn't catch on. I guess it was because we WERE professional and didn't do anything dangerous to threaten lives. Who'da thunk?

Interesting that they have to have this with Law Enforcement personnel.

Yes, THIS!
    All friendly encounters should be like this. I'd rather read a thousand encounters like this than just one encounter that went the other way.
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 04-18-2015 at 08:41 PM.

Agree

Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    Yes, THIS!
    All friendly encounters should be like this. I'd rather read a thousand encounters like this than just one encounter that went the other way.
    EXACTAMUNDO!!!
    I will defend to my death the right of Maverick9 to state his opinion, but his response was exactly what I was suggesting we try to avoid.

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick9 View Post
    Yeah, we thought about having 'Coffee with a Technologist' to reassure them that we wouldn't do something to threaten their lives and that we'd act professionally and calmly, but it didn't catch on. I guess it was because we WERE professional and didn't do anything dangerous to threaten lives. Who'da thunk?

Interesting that they have to have this with Law Enforcement personnel.
    It's really not such a bad idea Marverick9. It cost close to nothing. I does nothing at all invasive to fix the way cops may operate on the job. And who knows perhaps a potential juror may see up close and personal how friendly those cops are. Surely they will remember those warm smiles in the future if they are ever called on to judge a split-second-decision by said cop.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand