• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Congrats texas on your new Open Carry

Johnbo

Congrats to all yall! Looks like your oc will be very similiar to ours here in Georgia. 5 year weapons carry permit that allows concealed or open carry. Would I like constitutional carry in Ga, yes of course but this is what we have here atm. I OC every day and don't think about it really except to be aware of my surroundings, i.e. other people.
Does Texas have statewide pre-emption as well?

Last edited:

stealthyeliminator

Personally I'm not celebrating quite yet, but it definitely is exciting, and thank you. :)

Texas does have preemption, yes. Some Dems tried to make exceptions to it for open carry for the larger cities by amending 910, but failed, so by all indication the statewide preemption will stand firm as open carry passes.

fjpro2a

Holding my breath

As you know, I am a pessimist about expanding or creating "open carry" in the various States. I initially predicted that something would come up, and open carry in Texas probably wouldn't happen. If I am wrong about this, though, no one will be happier than me that I WAS WRONG!!! I also predicted a certain fight on May 2nd wouldn't take place. Hope I am wrong on that one, too.

Rusty Young Man

Open Carry but you need a permit? Doesn't count.

From none at all (for modern sidearms, that is) to permit-OC, it is a step forward. I agree, it would have been a step in the Right direction if it had been permit-less OC (even if CC still required a permit, which criminals don't apply for or care about).

One quick question: is LGOC still permitless, and will it still be a viable option for those not wishing to ask for permission from the benign tyrants?

solus

Open Carry but you need a permit? Doesn't count.

H E A R ~ H E A R

OH WAIT STEALTH, et all., there are still two different versions of the legislative OC bills which must be correlated into one by bipartisan committee, then passed, and then sent to the governor for signature... aren't there ?

not sure the champagne celebration isn't significantly premature...

but what 'the truth' stated...

H E A R ~ H E A R

hope the bipartisan committee agrees and the Rep governor signs it...

ipse

addendum: why are you taking bows and passing out thank yous stealth? IAN yes, but...

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

A permit is needed to carry openly (or concealed) in Georgia as well. Since we are a 'shall issue' state the permit is little more than proof that a background check was conducted sometime within the 5-year validity of the license.

Big whoop, it hasn't stopped anyone from carrying openly yet. We're working on getting even that infringement removed, but there are things even more harmful to liberty to work on first.

Last edited:

()pen(arry

OH WAIT STEALTH, et all., there are still two different versions of the legislative OC bills which must be correlated into one by bipartisan committee, then passed, and then sent to the governor for signature... aren't there ?

not sure the champagne celebration isn't significantly premature...

*snip

addendum: why are you taking bows and passing out thank yous stealth? IAN yes, but...

Personally I'm not celebrating quite yet, but it definitely is exciting, and thank you. :)

solus, you fail. Super hard. Grow some reading comprehension.

Johnbo

Well let's call the permit requirement what it really is: a tax so the state can earn money. Would no permit required/constitutional carry be more desireable? Of course but permit carry is better than no carry. In Ga the leo can not stop you just to check if you have a weapons carry license anyways and there is no list of permit holders they can look you up on either.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
I too am extremely hopeful for TX that this will get passed. I'll never forget, about a decade ago when I renewed my youthful interest in shooting sports and started learning about citizen carry, how very surprised I was that TX banned OC. It also was a massive wake-up call to me to get more educated on the topic being that even as a lifelong 2A supporter I got sucked into some of the anti-gun group myths.

So here's to hoping this passes for Texans and may this next step of freedom be just another milestone towards "shall not be infringed".

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
Don't pop the champagne yet, we haven't crossed the finish line. It technically hasn't even passed out of the House yet. Also, both Senate and House bills are different and will need to be reconciled before being approved and sent to the Governor to sign.

Maverick9

To me, needing a permit is a bad situation. Why? Because if you are OC-ing it means any LEO can stop you and demand your permit. It will have a chilling effect as LE draw down on carriers and someone gets shot.

...But, I hope not.

1245A Defender

Wowwie!!!

To me, needing a permit is a bad situation. Why? Because if you are OC-ing it means any LEO can stop you and demand your permit. It will have a chilling effect as LE draw down on carriers and someone gets shot.

...But, I hope not.

Not SOOOO Fast.....

Their is court opinion that since carrying a gun is a "Lawful Activity" it is NOT RAS for a detainment!
Same as driving a car...

It is nearing the point that some of our 4th amendment protections are actually protecting us!
.....Against unreasonable searches and seizures,,, Making a permit,,, MOOT!!!