• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Congrats texas on your new Open Carry

NomadMan

After watching SB 11 slowly, painfully slipping away...I see more of the same for HB 910. And one important point is that those in the know say that we should not assume that the Governor will sign the bill as amended.

Frankly, it seems to me to be barely a coin toss as to whether OC passes.

Didn't I hear that the governor already stated that if an open carry bill comes to his desk he will sign it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glockster

Really?

What is the purpose of this non-answer?

It's not a non-answer. It is an answer given when there is bad blood between some folks here and someone at another forum. So who it is isn't relevant enough...at least not for me to want to be in the middle of rock slinging. I'm simply sharing what I learned elsewhere as I've also been a member here for years.

Glockster

Didn't I hear that the governor already stated that if an open carry bill comes to his desk he will sign it?

Yup, that's my understanding as well. HOWEVER, that was based on what was known and discussed at that time. Things have changed. Nobody discussed having to deal with the political aftermath of the impact of the amendment, and the noses now bent out of shape. I'd go so far as to say that frankly it makes for a good way to poison that bill as well. and it certainly wasn't in keeping with any deals supposedly made in exchange for all the political capital that was clearly expended on this legislative session. It will be interesting to see how quickly the House does get to it (HB910) and how that unfolds. But it is still a ways away from the Governor's desk, and think that an extended session is not likely. So time is short and that leaves little room to massage egos and work out the compromises. But who knows, I'm still hopeful.

HPmatt

Dallas Morning News had a pretty good article (google to bypass paywall) "Texas House tentatively OKs 'campus carry' proposal". Looks to me like both OC and Campus Carry are within reach of becoming law. Just an issue if Gov Abbott has a workaround for private colleges.

Last edited:

77zach

Dallas Morning News had a pretty good article (google to bypass paywall) "Texas House tentatively OKs 'campus carry' proposal". Looks to me like both OC and Campus Carry are within reach of becoming law. Just an issue if Gov Abbott has a workaround for private colleges.

It actually looks like they're setting both up for failure or watering down, just diffusing responsibility as much as they can. Par for the course.

But I do wonder why they're willing to waste so much time and energy on these initiatives. They'll just come back stronger in future sessions and have to waste yet more time on them. May as well pass them now. Out of site out of mind I guess.

Last edited:

Glockster

And with the fail to concur, and moving it to committee, we have now moved squarely to the "we will not have OC in Texas" column.

Count

Founder's Club Member
Still on track......

From http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2015...-bill-stalls-again-due-to-political-pressure/

“We are going to work hard to get this bill passed,” Phillips said in a phone interview. “There is still a strong commitment from those who voted yes in April.”

Phillips said that if the Senate does not appoint their conference members or if the conference cannot reach a timely resolution that would allow the Senate and the House to approve the conference report, the House can discharge the conference committee and bring the bill back for another concurrence vote.

“I feel certain we have to votes to pass it when it comes back,” Phillips stated.

Bob Price is a senior political news contributor for Breitbart Texas and a member of the original Breitbart Texas team. Follow him on Twitter @BobPriceBBTX and on Facebook.

carstensxd45

Very well manipulated "news" story, just in time to rock back to sleep all the inattentive so called 2nd voters, amazing to me how many CC people are against OC,
Kind of like those who have hunting rifles and yet despise those with AR15 rifles for hunting, I hear it all the time, "why do you need an army/assault rifle? "

Glockster

What a ride though as the impossible was overcome. I think that the saving on this was that the committee was able to act fast enough so that it was back on center stage in both House and Senate too fast for strong organized opposition and to early to stall out the clock. But truly amazing!

Now let's see what happens with Campus Carry!

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
Whew! That certainly was a nail biter for a while there. Glad we got it through!