• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Congrats texas on your new Open Carry

FreeInAZ

^^^ Lol "which gun goes with which outfit..." Now that's funny.

Congrats TX on your hard earned freedoms!

Last edited:

Glockster

I'm pulling this below entirely from another forum as it hasn't been posted here yet. Hopefully this will help to understand what the differences were. And kindly don't shoot the messenger.

The Huffines Amendment has been posted:

Sec. 411.2049. CERTAIN INVESTIGATORY STOPS AND INQUIRIES
PROHIBITED. A peace officer may not make an investigatory stop or
other temporary detention to inquire as to a person’s possession of
a handgun license solely because the person is carrying in a
shoulder or belt holster a partially or wholly visible handgun

Dutton Amendment:

Sec. 411.2049. CERTAIN INVESTIGATORY STOPS AND INQUIRIES
PROHIBITED. A peace officer may not make an investigatory stop or
other temporary detention to inquire as to whether a person
possesses a handgun license solely because the person is carrying a
partially or wholly visible handgun carried in a shoulder or belt
holster.

The underlined portions are different words, while the bolded portions are the same words but in a different order.

McClintock

I'm pulling this below entirely from another forum as it hasn't been posted here yet.

I know what forum :)

As for the congratulations on OC in Texas, let's not count our chickens before they hatch.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
Seriously though, they can't copy and paste? Who dropped the ball on this one? Senator Huffines' office?

McClintock

Well this issue has to do with wording differences in Huffines bill more than clerical error... though I don't believe that original error was an accident but I digress...

There is a school of thought that Huffine wants more of the spotlight and by first waiting to the last minute to introduce the change and then making sure the change has unique wording Huffine gets to boast of the accomplishment.

A dangerous game to play as time is running out FAST.

stealthyeliminator

Well this issue has to do with wording differences in Huffines bill more than clerical error... though I don't believe that original error was an accident but I digress...

There is a school of thought that Huffine wants more of the spotlight and by first waiting to the last minute to introduce the change and then making sure the change has unique wording Huffine gets to boast of the accomplishment.

A dangerous game to play as time is running out FAST.

How did he "wait till the last minute" ??? I was watching when 910 came up. Everything was moving along quickly until others, like Huffman, had a hissy fit over the amendment. In what way did Huffines delay anything? Heck, he even withdrew his previous amendment for constitutional carry to keep things moving faster.

skavoovie

I would believe that if he hadn't looked like such a completely and totally incompetent buffoon on the Senate floor. A child could have out-debated him, and he had an earpiece with someone parroting his words to him no less! :eek:

nonameisgood

I would believe that if he hadn't looked like such a completely and totally incompetent buffoon on the Senate floor. A child could have out-debated him, and he had an earpiece with someone parroting his words to him no less! :eek:

The Huffines Whisperer was Royse West (D-Dallas) who demonstrated that, while I don't agreed with his politics, he is a good lawyer and competent statesman. West and Ellis (D-Houston), both anti-gun, said they would vote for the amendment. They were acutely aware that the bill was going to pass and the protection against unwarranted stops was very important. I am not sure why Estes stripped the Dutton amendment, but imagine it was "for the cops". I can't think of a worse reason since restraint on police/executive exercise of power is an important component of all legislation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NomadMan

I also wanted to give my congratulations to Texas and all the hard work some activists did to make this happen.

Next stop, Constitutional Carry.

NomadMan

Mighty kind of you but unfortunately we still do not have anything to go to the Governor.

All that is left is for the house to sign off on the changes and the governor to sign it, which he already said he would. Am o missing something?

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
All that is left is for the house to sign off on the changes and the governor to sign it, which he already said he would. Am o missing something?

Ever heard the saying don't count your chickens till they hatch? It's still not a done deal yet. Given the time left right now, we can't assume anything.

Glockster

After watching SB 11 slowly, painfully slipping away...I see more of the same for HB 910. And one important point is that those in the know say that we should not assume that the Governor will sign the bill as amended.

Frankly, it seems to me to be barely a coin toss as to whether OC passes.

77zach

After watching SB 11 slowly, painfully slipping away...I see more of the same for HB 910. And one important point is that those in the know say that we should not assume that the Governor will sign the bill as amended.

Frankly, it seems to me to be barely a coin toss as to whether OC passes.

Who are these mystery people in the know?