• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sig P250 SC vs Glock 17 - not so different

exgabrit

I own both a P250 sub compact and a full size Glock 17 and 22.
one thing I've not done is compared the two, not sure why, maybe because one is full size and the other a sub, so never figured it made any sense, until the other day when i compared IWB carry of both with various shirts.
The Sig ended up only being barely better. Both worked very decent.
The Glock printed only a smidge more and was only slightly more noticeable with a light shirt color.
Yesterday went to the range with both guns and happened to physically compare the two as I'm shopping for another discrete CCW.
I was surprised when the only major difference (other than length with doesn't matter for IWB) was the full size Glock was only about half inch higher ! What! My sub compact carry pistol only 1/2 inch shorter on the grip ?

In any case, I've been thinking for a while about selling my P250 due to the weird handling characteristics, just doesn't fit my hands right. Thinking of a CPX-2 for half the price.

any one else had a moment of disbelief about their full size Glock suddenly being a CCW option again /

The Truth

Welcome back to Open Carry .org! My full size Glock 20 is no problem - because I open carry! :monkey

Can't be spending time worrying about a concealed back up gun ;)

FreeInAZ

Welcome back to Open Carry .org! My full size Glock 20 is no problem - because I open carry! :monkey

Can't be spending time worrying about a concealed back up gun ;)

Well- even the most die hard Glock fans will tell you, you want a carry gun that functions 100% of the time....carry a back up! They fail from time to time with wear, just like any simple machine. This is why it's important to keep a round count on any gun you own. You wouldn't just drive a car until it's starts knocking & then change the oil, right?

Here's a good write up on maintaining them and how to keep them running trouble free.
http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/are-glocks-truly-perfection

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

@ The Truth- G20 is a excellent choice. I started carrying G21's a few years back because they can be easily converted to the venerable 10mm round. :cool:

Last edited:

The Truth

I usually carry about 46 rounds of 10mm at any given time ;)

Seriously though, I've put about 500 rounds through my G20. I'm not even a huge Glock fan, but there's nothing better on the market for 10mm and this pistol seems pretty much unbreakable. Sig Sauer is my pistol of choice :D but they don't make a double stack 10mm yet!

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
I'm not a Glock fan, but my XD45 service compact is about the same size as a G19 with its short 10 Rd mag and the G17 with the 13rd standard mag. For some reason, lately I have been shooting my XD better than any of my other carry choices. Add that to its greater capacity compared to the others and numerous trips to the St. Louis area during the Ferguson stuff and I have pretty much been carrying the XD for the last 6 months.

It was my first carry gun and I still find it CCs pretty easily and obviously it is great OC, usually with the standard mag. So yeah, I've gone full circle and the KelTec rarely leaves the safe.

exgabrit

Not saying the sig is more reliable or the glock, making the statement more about the physical size. it's odd that sig and maybe other manufactures call pistols "sub compact" and in reality are only barely smaller than pistols marked full-size.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I'm not a Glock fan, but my XD45 service compact is about the same size as a G19 with its short 10 Rd mag and the G17 with the 13rd standard mag. QUOTE]

The standard mag. cap. for a G19 is 15, the 23 has a 13 round mag. cap the G17 mag cap. is 17. the G26 has a 10 round mag. cap.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Not saying the sig is more reliable or the glock, making the statement more about the physical size. it's odd that sig and maybe other manufactures call pistols "sub compact" and in reality are only barely smaller than pistols marked full-size.

Over the last 39 years Having carried every thing from small baby browning sizes autos and small mini revolvers, to large frame long barreled revolvers. What is concealable and what isn't is all a matter of what, when, and why.

Last edited:

exgabrit

Over the last 39 years Having carried every thing from small baby browning sizes autos and small mini revolvers, to large frame long barreled revolvers. What is concealable and what isn't is all a matter of what, when, and why.

funny you say that, was thinking the exact same thing in the car this morning. maybe the classification doesn't matter but how each pistol fits the situation and also by a person by person basis.

Firearms Iinstuctor

funny you say that, was thinking the exact same thing in the car this morning. maybe the classification doesn't matter but how each pistol fits the situation and also by a person by person basis.

+1

My EDC most of the time is a gen 2 Glock 23 why it its well used works well and the price was right. I have a couple dozen to chose from.

Kopis

OP, i conceal or OC a g17 and g19 most days depending on the situation. I'm not sure i buy into the same argument about tracking round counts as one guy mentioned. It's not comparable to a mechanical car IMO.

Glocks have polygonal rifled barrels which last an astounding number of rounds and very few moving parts to break. Unless you're shooting competitions, you would be hard pressed to wear one out in your lifetime. Ive got a 1st gen G17 that still runs like a champ and is about 30 years old. Anyway, with the right holster, you can easily conceal the g17 and have plenty of rounds. Throw some Hornady critical defense 147gr p+ rounds in there and it's not your daddy's 9mm anymore.

Glocks are ugly but reliable and i like the barrels. Another thing that really keeps me from jumping ship is that my g17, g19 and g34 all interchange mags and holsters plus i can throw a few 33 round party sticks in the car for long trips and know i have a lot of rounds with me. I really am considering a lone wolf 9mm dedicated AR pistol (runs on glock mags) for interchangeability. the keltec sub2000 has my eye too but you cant find one anywhere.

FreeInAZ

^^^ if you carry a gun to protect your life - no matter what make or model - regular maintenance is recommended. YMMV, but nothing worse than a broken gun in a gunfight. Do as you will, it's your life after all ???

Don't take mine or the trainer & armorers word from the link above, look at the manual from Glock. If you carry a Glock daily you are considered a heavy user and a yearly inspection by a gunsmith is recommended. I replace my recoil springs every 3,000 rounds as suggested by many considered to be experts. That is the weakest point in the Glock platform.

http://us.glock.com/documents/gun_maintenance.pdf

Last edited:

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
The standard mag. cap. for a G19 is 15, the 23 has a 13 round mag. cap the G17 mag cap. is 17. the G26 has a 10 round mag. cap.
Ok... you listed mag standard mag capacity for 3 Glock 9mm pistols. I think you missed the XD45 portion. Responding to the OP, the comparison is about pistol size, not capacity. Although I will note that the XD45 compact in one pistol has about the same size as the G21/G30 depending on the mag used and the same capacity for each, respectively. My standard mags for it all have the mag ring extension which effectively extends the grip flush to the bottom of the mag. :)

But the stainless XD(M) 9mm, if you want to compare calibers directly, is about the same size as a G17 and has a 19 rd mag. :banana:

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

Ok... you listed mag standard mag capacity for 3 Glock 9mm pistols. I think you missed the XD45 portion. Responding to the OP, the comparison is about pistol size, not capacity. Although I will note that the XD45 compact in one pistol has about the same size as the G21/G30 depending on the mag used and the same capacity for each, respectively. My standard mags for it all have the mag ring extension which effectively extends the grip flush to the bottom of the mag. :)

But the stainless XD(M) 9mm, if you want to compare calibers directly, is about the same size as a G17 and has a 19 rd mag. :banana:

I'm not a Glock fan, but my XD45 service compact is about the same size as a G19 with its short 10 Rd mag and the G17 with the 13rd standard mag. For some reason, lately I have been shooting my XD better than any of my other carry choices. Add that to its greater capacity compared to the others and numerous trips to the St. Louis area during the Ferguson stuff and I have pretty much been carrying the XD for the last 6 months.

It was my first carry gun and I still find it CCs pretty easily and obviously it is great OC, usually with the standard mag. So yeah, I've gone full circle and the KelTec rarely leaves the safe.

Your the one that made the mistake in with the mag capacities the G19 doesn't use a 10 round mag and the 17 doesn't use a 13 round mag I was just stating facts unless your talking post ban 10 round mags.

Last edited:

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
Your the one that made the mistake in with the mag capacities the G19 doesn't use a 10 round mag and the 17 doesn't use a 13 round mag I was just stating facts unless your talking post ban 10 round mags.
AHA! I now understand the confusion - we were talking past each other because of my sentence structure earlier. I need to clarify...

I was saying that the XD45 service compact using a 10 Rd short mag is roughly the same size as a G19 and the XD45 compact using the standard 13 Rd mag is roughly the same size as the G17, my intent to give a size reference for those not familiar with the XD45 compact to draw back to the size question in the OP. Clear as mud now? :p

Sorry for the confusion. I should have known you weren't going Glock fan-boi on me. :D