• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Texas rep says that man open carrying in a park would violate his daughter's rights

stealthyeliminator

A Texas rep, Rep. Rafael Anchia, on testimony against HB910, stated that a man open carrying in a park would violate his daughter's right to enjoy that park. Please document here the many ways in which to logically destroy his assertion, and the ways in which he fundamentally misrepresents what rights are.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
A Texas rep, Rep. Rafael Anchia, on testimony against HB910, stated that a man open carrying in a park would violate his daughter's right to enjoy that park. Please document here the many ways in which to logically destroy his assertion, and the ways in which he fundamentally misrepresents what rights are.

Trying to crash the internet, huh?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Trying to crash the internet, huh?

No need to.

"That among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness."

Not catching Happiness, just the pursuit of it.

Please, Rep. Rafael Anchia, remind your daughter of that. And that if anything, OC in Texas will provide her with a greater opportunity to pursue Happiness with even more vigor.

stay safe.

twoskinsonemanns

Idunno... maybe he's onto something. Perhaps life will be better if we squeeze out every possible variation of individuality until there is nothing out there in the world that could possibly be found offensive. A dystopia of mindless serenity.
I'll submit the first item for the "offensive chopping block". Lying, cheating, thieving, slaving, law makers.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Anchia's assertion that seeing an OCer would violate his daughter's right to enjoy the park has a few problems.

First, Anchia omits a few steps. He omits to explain how the gun would emanate anti-enjoyment waves. Since, of course, guns don't do that, he must mean the photons bouncing off the gun would, upon arrival to his daughter's retinas, would violate her right to enjoy the park. No? So, what he really means is that his daughter, having adopted or instilled in her by others the attitude that guns are un-enjoyable, she can enforce her self-adopted attitude on others by denying their right to enjoy the park while also being able to defend the body and life of themselves and others. The false premise being that this is in any way a feasible method of sorting out whose rights are senior. At its core, it means she can enforce her adopted/instilled attitude on others, meaning hers are senior because...well...just because.

Another problem is Anchia's failure to explain why his daughter, if guns are un-enjoyable to see, can't just avert her eyes to look at something enjoyable. He can't mean that seeing a gun once, even on an OCer who is leaving, ruins her whole visit to the park. He can't mean that because it would be a reasonable inference to conclude his daughter is irrationally afraid of guns to the point that once it enters her mind, she cannot let it go. A fixation. And, he dare not mean that. Who would agree that rights are susceptible to the irrational?

On another aspect, the OP doesn't mention the age of the daughter. Did dad create his own objection by instilling in his minor daughter a fear of guns? Did the school system do it? Did dad take any steps to clean up the school system's errors on guns?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
Anchia may have a valid point. I understand that "trigger warnings" are all the rage among the special snowflake crowd of late. And since any decent carry holster covers the trigger, how would the kid know?

I propose an easy solution. We just get little stickers to put on our holsters that read something like, "Warning: Gun has a trigger - which you can't see because of the holster, but trust me, it's there and I just wanted to make you aware of it in case it matters to you...." or you know, maybe something shorter. I think that is an easy compromise and, if there is anything I have learned from the antis, it is compromise.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
Which Amendment was it again that protected enjoyment of parks? I forget.

stealthyeliminator

Idunno... maybe he's onto something. Perhaps life will be better if we squeeze out every possible variation of individuality until there is nothing out there in the world that could possibly be found offensive. A dystopia of mindless serenity.
I'll submit the first item for the "offensive chopping block". Lying, cheating, thieving, slaving, law makers.

Reminds me of The Giver.

Anchia's assertion that seeing an OCer would violate his daughter's right to enjoy the park has a few problems.

First, Anchia omits a few steps. He omits to explain how the gun would emanate anti-enjoyment waves. Since, of course, guns don't do that, he must mean the photons bouncing off the gun would, upon arrival to his daughter's retinas, would violate her right to enjoy the park. No? So, what he really means is that his daughter, having adopted or instilled in her by others the attitude that guns are un-enjoyable, she can enforce her self-adopted attitude on others by denying their right to enjoy the park while also being able to defend the body and life of themselves and others. The false premise being that this is in any way a feasible method of sorting out whose rights are senior. At its core, it means she can enforce her adopted/instilled attitude on others, meaning hers are senior because...well...just because.

Another problem is Anchia's failure to explain why his daughter, if guns are un-enjoyable to see, can't just avert her eyes to look at something enjoyable. He can't mean that seeing a gun once, even on an OCer who is leaving, ruins her whole visit to the park. He can't mean that because it would be a reasonable inference to conclude his daughter is irrationally afraid of guns to the point that once it enters her mind, she cannot let it go. A fixation. And, he dare not mean that. Who would agree that rights are susceptible to the irrational?

On another aspect, the OP doesn't mention the age of the daughter. Did dad create his own objection by instilling in his minor daughter a fear of guns? Did the school system do it? Did dad take any steps to clean up the school system's errors on guns?

Bravo.

To build off of... I think that if it could legitimately be said that his daughter's rights were violated - which it can't be - then, if the violation is caused by her unreasonable inability to maintain emotional stability upon sight of a safely holstered firearm, robbing her of enjoyment of whatever area she happens to be in at the time, the actual violator is not the person who entered the space with a safely holstered handgun, but the person that robbed her of her sensibilities, reasonableness, and emotional stability, resulting in the involuntary dispersement of her enjoyment triggered by the reasonable and non-threatening behavior of other humans in public space. Who's to blame for that, father?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP the person that robbed her of her sensibilities, reasonableness, and emotional stability, resulting in the involuntary dispersement of her enjoyment triggered by the reasonable and non-threatening behavior of other humans in public space. Who's to blame for that, father?

Ohhh. Wouldn't that be a peach. Turn the tables and accuse the parent of irresponsible and mentally destabilizing parenting. Maybe threaten to call Child Protective Services. (No, don't do that. CPS can be pretty vicious sometimes.)