• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Officer commended for showing restraint

FreeInAZ

In the end no one died in this confrontation. Good to see. The accused will get his day in court and if found guilty will pay for his crimes. That's how the system is supposed to work, not de facto executions in the street by policemen. As a side note the body cam was a true asset in showing all that happened, so for those officers who seem to be afraid of wearing one, the question is why?

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

Each of these situations is different from each other even through they have a lot of similarities.

Having people tell you they want you to shoot them isn't that uncommon, nor really common I had three in my 33 years on the job.

I shot none of them why because they were unarmed and didn't pose an immediate deadly threat. I also was highly trained in excellent physical condition and very sure of my abilities to handle the situation with out shooting.

I am sure some, not all of these shootings, are because some ,not all are because the officers are not sure that they can handle the situation with out shooting.

If you take an officer who has let their training, physical condition, skill levels slip or just their physical size IE and over weight or small officer. They have less options then one that is up on his game.

But I also know of one case where the person making the claim shoot me should have been shot but wasn't until he killed one officer and crippled another. He was armed making threats and really wanted to commit suicide by cop.

All these situations are highly volatile and each one different one can't be judge by what happen with another.

I can tell you this that each one I handled if any of them would have pose an immediate deadly threat to me or other officers I would not of hesitated to use the proper amount of force to stop the threat.

Last edited:

OC for ME

Each of these situations is different from each other even through they have a lot of similarities.

Having people tell you they want you to shoot them isn't that uncommon, nor really common I had three in my 33 years on the job.

I shot none of them why because they were unarmed and didn't pose an immediate deadly threat. I also was highly trained in excellent physical condition and very sure of my abilities to handle the situation with out shooting.

I am sure some, not all of these shootings, are because some ,not all are because the officers are not sure that they can handle the situation with out shooting.

If you take an officer who has let their training, physical condition, skill levels slip or just their physical size IE and over weight or small officer. They have less options then one that is up on his game.

But I also know of one case where the person making the claim shoot me should have been shot but wasn't until he killed one officer and crippled another. He was armed making threats and really wanted to commit suicide by cop.

All these situations are highly volatile and each one different one can't be judge by what happen with another.

I can tell you this that each one I handled if any of them would have pose an immediate deadly threat to me or other officers I would not of hesitated to use the proper amount of force to stop the threat.
Preaching to the choir"...J-Q Public only knows "See, I told you, cops don't have to shoot anybody!"

The cop should have shot the dude as he requested.

The top cop is in a tough situation, he now has a cop who may not shoot a citizen if that is what he decides to do, and the other cops will be viewed in a different light if they chose a different response.

sudden valley gunner

In my career I did not expect praise or even notice for doing the right thing, but only my pay check and the opportunity to do more and better. I did have many critics commissioned to surveil my preparation, performance and properly kept records.

+1

I don't praise my dog for not biting kids.

solus

sometimes SVG the kids need to understand what happens when they touch the stove's burner...

biscuit?

ipse

DrakeZ07

I wonder if I can get a commendation for showing restraint whenever I get called a F*g by idiots when I go for a walk in town.

Giving a cop a commendation for showing restraint is like giving a cat a treat for c**pping in the litter box. I mean like, serious. GOOD FOR YOU! YOU DID YOUR JOB AND WHAT YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO DO! Here's an award.

The Truth

I wonder if I can get a commendation for showing restraint whenever I get called a F*g by idiots when I go for a walk in town.

Giving a cop a commendation for showing restraint is like giving a cat a treat for c**pping in the litter box. I mean like, serious. GOOD FOR YOU! YOU DID YOUR JOB AND WHAT YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO DO! Here's an award.

Agreed. I think the video is just an example for those who might be quick to pull the trigger to realize that just because you can shoot doesn't mean you should, or that you need to.

Me personally, the hardest part would have been falling down while backpedaling. That being said, the perp didn't make any aggressive moves when he could have and while he had positioning, so the cop probably made the right call and realized that the perp was just posturing and probably didn't pose an immediate threat to his life. This soldier definitely has a set of big ones though, maybe too big. Haha.