• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Alien gear against open carry?

tcbrad98

5a22b483b5bafb111529b67a50bb59ef.jpg

Apparently concealed carry is the smart move? I really like my cloak tuck 2.0 and my cloak slide, but if they are anti open carry I can't support them. I called to voice my frustrations and they said they will give a full refund if a customer is unhappy with their product. I told them it wasn't the product, but the fact that they don't support their customer base's rights.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
It seems to me that everybody is picking up on two things:

1 - the news reports that the victim was specifically targetted because he was OCing. Whether or not the targetting was in order to obtain the victim's gun or not is even more murky that the source of the claim that the victim was targeted because of OC.

2 - the victim has stated that he "usually" CCs and that the only reason he was OCing was because he was in a rush and did not want to go back to his car to get his cover garment. Like most people who attach magical importance/power to certain rituals, he says he now will never change his lucky underpants/forget to wear a cover garment. His "logic" for this is that he was never attacked when he CC'd, he was attacked when he OC'd. Must be the OCing that brought on the attack.

Apparently AlienGear also supports the lucky underpants theory. If they were truely against OC they would pull 25% of their product line and make some sort of statement warning potential customers of the dangers of OCing.

I am more inclined to ignore this FB post and the company itself. They are not big players in the OC gear arena.

stay safe.

tcbrad98

My struggle is having a company that sells holsters, arguably the majority of their products are concealed carry oriented, however, they do sell OWB as well, tell me, their customer that how I carry is stupid. As someone who runs a business, it's not a great idea to invite politics in the door unnecessarily, it simply polarizes people about your business that otherwise wouldn't have been.

On the other hand, they obviously stand behind their products as they are willing to give a refund to their customers, even if the return has nothing but to do with the quality of the product.

Firearms Iinstuctor

My struggle is having a company that sells holsters, arguably the majority of their products are concealed carry oriented, however, they do sell OWB as well, tell me, their customer that how I carry is stupid. As someone who runs a business, it's not a great idea to invite politics in the door unnecessarily, it simply polarizes people about your business that otherwise wouldn't have been.

On the other hand, they obviously stand behind their products as they are willing to give a refund to their customers, even if the return has nothing but to do with the quality of the product.

+1

solus

it is a situation faced every day by those who OC as a way of life...business' state my firearm is not welcome in their business establishment...

as has been stated and practiced numerous times by the august OCDO membership, then neither is my $$$$$$.

it is no different than firearm stores, ranges, ad nauseam, who sell firearms refusing entry to those who are carrying the very product they wish to sell.

sidebar, one local firearm store after being chastised on several forums, social media, etc., changed their entrance policy stating, you are welcome, just leave it in the holster. loss of revenue has a way of altering establishment's mentality...in this case for the better.

keep carrying and enjoy your freedom

ipse

Fallschirjmäger

And here I am just laughing at them for using someone who wears a distinctive, easily distinguished uniform, a bright shiny bit of metal on their chest, drives a car with a flashy paint job, and equipped with rotating lights to say how being discreet is best.

If that were true, then police would dress like the person beside you in the line at the bank. That way the baddies would never know who or when they were near a police officer and would behave at all times instead of just when they knew the police were out and about.

'Cause, y'know... deterrence just isn't something that actually happens.

sota

damnit.
I picked up their double pack a bit back and another shell. if this is the case I'm going to have to seriously consider sending it back, which sucks as it was a fantastic deal.

Sleepnheat

They sell a good product. While the post is less than flattering to the average OC'er, I will probably continue to buy their products.

tcbrad98

I really like the two holsters I have from them, they are my regular wear. I know I won't find anything as comfortable for the price.

I'm really torn, I could continue to wear them and just not recommend them, but that feels disingenuous. What to do, what to do.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
They posted a link to a BearingArms story. That same story was posted and discussed on this forum. They are an OCDO forum sponsor. I think some people are getting some extra exercise today jumping to conclusions and running off the rails about nuthin'. :banghead:

HP995

BearingArms had the story, but didn't take a side for or against OC as far as I see. Just relayed what the guy said after the experience.

Alien Gear did take sides in their link and say that it was the "smart choice" to never OC again. So that is a pretty big deal.

If they personally believe CC is better, that's fine. It doesn't mean they are bad people. But it's ridiculous for a gun-related business to publicly attack OC.

They just made a "dumb choice" to say that. Hopefully they will get educated, retract that, and start saying smart things so that customers don't have to make tough decisions. :)