• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB 910 - Licensed Open Carry - Officially Passed Out of Texas House of Representative

77zach

Frankly I'm still not at that point where I am excited as we have not yet seen what the Senate will actually do because of the amendments and the political games currently ongoing. I'll even go so far as to say that we might very well see things removed rather than moving it forward as it is.

I uderstand but Texas Carry and the NRA have said HB 910 will carry over the Senate version. I'm sure this was discussed among Senators before the House did what they did.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
I uderstand but Texas Carry and the NRA have said HB 910 will carry over the Senate version.

Are Texas Carry and the NRA infallible?

Regardless of what they have said, the legislature has their process laid out quite clearly. Everything has to be done officially and the fact of the matter is that the House added amendments that SB17 did not have. It has to be voted on by the Senate on the floor.

77zach

Regardless of what they have said, the legislature has their process laid out quite clearly. Everything has to be done officially and the fact of the matter is that the House added amendments that SB17 did not have. It has to be voted on by the Senate on the floor.

No, but the NRA has come out in support of the bill as passed in the House. They're very cowardly when it comes to open carry, they wouldn't be so vocal if there were serious doubts. Texas is very anti gun, legally speaking, and the republicans don't believe in the right to bear arms, but I still feel good about it.

Last edited:

mustangkiller

Any word on when that happens? I can't find anything new on it. Just that it was sitting in the senate

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
I hate to break it to you, but if you guys are sitting on the edge of your seat waiting for things to happen right now, you're going to be disappointed. I've been following this all since January and the best piece of advice I have is to subscribe to both bills on the Texas legislature website and then just try and forget about it until you get an email update. Every time something happens with the bill, it notifies me by email almost immediately.

Glockster

I hate to break it to you, but if you guys are sitting on the edge of your seat waiting for things to happen right now, you're going to be disappointed. I've been following this all since January and the best piece of advice I have is to subscribe to both bills on the Texas legislature website and then just try and forget about it until you get an email update. Every time something happens with the bill, it notifies me by email almost immediately.

Yup. Not much else that we can do and it's also good practice waiting for January to come.

Glockster

acmariner99

When does the Texas legislature adjourn? Reading the above story only adds to my skepticism that Texans will get any form of OC with politicians in Austin playing games. I'll be happy to eat crow if I am proven wrong, but I will believe TX will get OC when I see it.

Glockster

But there is a possibility of the Governor calling another special session again this year. So if the two bodies do play games it then becomes a question of how badly the Governor wants this (and anything else) to get to his desk.

Glockster

And I see that the NRA is now apparently concerned enough to have issued a CTA for all Texas members, specifically mentioning the end of session date closing in and that there is concern about whether one of the two versions can make it through committee and then the body vote in time.

I do want to believe but this is exactly why it is called politics.

SteveInCO

I do want to believe but this is exactly why it is called politics.

This is one of those times when it's useful to have some knowledge of Greek and Latin. You can gain a deeper understanding of the English language thereby.

Take the word "politics." It derives from the Greek. "Poly" means "many" and "tics" are blood sucking bugs.

F350

^This should be the response to all such fear mongering.

I stand corrected on the amendments. Here in AL, we're not used to bills improving after they're introduced (quite the opposite is true). Maybe I should move to Texas...

I'd invite you to Wyoming where we have full constitutional carry AND an accepting culture..... but I doubt your thin southern blood could take it :lol:

qednick

I'd invite you to Wyoming where we have full constitutional carry AND an accepting culture..... but I doubt your thin southern blood could take it :lol:

Full Constitutional Carry?? Isn't it just for Wyoming residents? Or has that changed now?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
F350 said:
I'd invite you to Wyoming where we have full constitutional carry...
Full Constitutional Carry?? Isn't it just for Wyoming residents?...

And does it apply to 18-year-olds like other Constitutional rights? Be careful with the word "full." "Constitutional carry" is a misnomer in most states, including Wyoming, which is not to say it's not better than the alternatives, except for Vermont, the only state with true full Constitutional carry.

Last edited:

HPmatt

Take the word "politics." It derives from the Greek. "Poly" means "many" and "tics" are blood sucking bugs.

Good one. Now if you can just get the redundancy of 'attorney' in there you've got something.[emoji108]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glock 1st fan

And does it apply to 18-year-olds like other Constitutional rights? Be careful with the word "full." "Constitutional carry" is a misnomer in most states, including Wyoming, which is not to say it's not better than the alternatives, except for Vermont, the only state with true full Constitutional carry.

I wish we had a good org in Oklahoma that would fight for constitutional rights. There was one that appeared to be and it was a larger group but it faltered.

KBCraig

Vermont isn't true CC either, because certain hearing-saving attachments are banned from the entire state, and some "public property" places are off limits for carry.