Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: What happened?

  1. #1
    Regular Member FMJ 911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    People's Republic of Snohomishia
    Posts
    351

    What happened?

    This places used to be buzzing with activity! Monthly Meetings, Hangouts, Meetup's BBQ's, Shoots, lots of chat, etc. What happened?

    I am carrying as I write this so it seems legal.
    "May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't." George Patton

  2. #2
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,616
    Still some good activity there.
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/fo...hington-Events

    See lots of "chat" on the main Washington page(s) also.

    Perhaps you'd like to jump in, stir the pot, and plan something - get Olde Pharts and newbies out for a meet n' greet. Good weather coming up for a picnic too
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  3. #3
    Activist Member golddigger14s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lacey, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,990
    Some of us are tired of seeing argumentative posts that have NOTHING to do with the original subject. I will click on a new posting in a thread, and have no clue what they are talking about anymore. Posted a couple of breakfast meet-ups, and nobody responding. Place is going downhill.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

  4. #4
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,616
    Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    Some of us are tired of seeing argumentative posts that have NOTHING to do with the original subject. I will click on a new posting in a thread, and have no clue what they are talking about anymore. Posted a couple of breakfast meet-ups, and nobody responding. Place is going downhill.
    I do not see a problem the same as you do. The people in Washington are not so different than those in Virginia - the number of viewers on-line, number of posts, and number of threads show a high level of activity for both.

    Perhaps the winter doldrums have effected some in your state, or possibly many consider meet n' greets passe, but overall Washington is quite involved here.

    Virginians still enjoy chatting/exchanging info and their meet ups:
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/fo...p?130-Virginia

    If there are threads that have drifted too far OT, report them. I will look and see where help might be needed.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 04-21-2015 at 12:36 PM. Reason: added
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Sparky508's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Graham, , USA
    Posts
    343
    Not much to be said anymore, I open carried all over hell to breakfast, and not a creature was stirring....... Not to say that we won and all, but as far as open carry goes, it has been a non-issue for so long now that its almost like having an "I drove to work thread."
    Last edited by Sparky508; 04-21-2015 at 01:13 PM. Reason: speling is haard

  6. #6
    Regular Member FMJ 911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    People's Republic of Snohomishia
    Posts
    351
    I remember the 1st Saturday meetings in Bothell/Kenmore used to be quite convenient since they'd work a s a great jumping-off point for other activities including, but not limited to, Target Shooting or Shopping or maybe even a nice drive around the area.
    "May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't." George Patton

  7. #7
    Regular Member Dave in Edmonds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Edmonds, WA
    Posts
    57
    For me, I lost most of my interest in this forum when it seemed clear that the Washington forum is dominated by non-Washingtonians. We try to have a discussion about Washington laws or politics and half the posters are from out of state.

  8. #8
    State Researcher Bill Starks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Nortonville, KY, USA
    Posts
    4,291
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky508 View Post
    Not much to be said anymore, I open carried all over hell to breakfast, and not a creature was stirring....... Not to say that we won and all, but as far as open carry goes, it has been a non-issue for so long now that its almost like having an "I drove to work thread."
    Agree

  9. #9
    Regular Member EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    S. Kitsap, Washington state
    Posts
    3,763

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Starks View Post
    Agree
    The other thing is, it appears to me that OCTO has deteriorated in the same group of 45 posters arguing and there's not really much tolerance of dissenting opinions here. If you don't believe it's politically wise to walk to Olympia and your gas mask with your assault rifle then you're suddenly a communist liberal pinky anti-gun person

    Or God for bid you believe in a retirement system for elderly people here. I've mostly migrated to other forums where you can actually have discussions in a reasonable manner
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

    NRA Member

  10. #10
    Activist Member golddigger14s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lacey, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,990
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Edmonds View Post
    For me, I lost most of my interest in this forum when it seemed clear that the Washington forum is dominated by non-Washingtonians. We try to have a discussion about Washington laws or politics and half the posters are from out of state.
    This. Like someone who has 14k+ posts, because he has to put his two cents in for every post on this forum no matter what state it is.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

  11. #11
    Regular Member Schlepnier's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Yelm, Washington USA
    Posts
    419
    Quite honestly, lack of interest.

    I tried to keep the south sound meetup going for over a year, including picnics in the summer and indoor meets in the winter.

    We had one decent meet with about 12 people last summer when mary, bill and a few more showed.up at the park in Olympia.

    otherwise I ended up sitting at a meet for 2 hours and am lucky if one member came by other than golddigger, then I never saw them again.

    Sunday afternoon was the only time I really have free because of my work schedule, so the other meets don't work for me. with so little interest in even taking an hour out of the month for a meetup, I finally gave up trying.
    +thought for the day+
    ++victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none++

  12. #12
    Campaign Veteran OlGutshotWilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Snohomish, WA, ,
    Posts
    435
    Dave in Edmonds
    For me, I lost most of my interest in this forum when it seemed clear that the Washington forum is dominated by non-Washingtonians. We try to have a discussion about Washington laws or politics and half the posters are from out of state.
    golddigger14
    This. Like someone who has 14k+ posts, because he has to put his two cents in for every post on this forum no matter what state it is
    Sparky508
    Not much to be said anymore, I open carried all over hell to breakfast, and not a creature was stirring....... Not to say that we won and all, but as far as open carry goes, it has been a non-issue for so long now that its almost like having an "I drove to work thread."
    golddigger14s
    Some of us are tired of seeing argumentative posts that have NOTHING to do with the original subject.


    All relevant.

    I finally got tired of reading post after post of arguments and name calling and threads going off topic. Granted, we are all opinionated individualists on this forum, and a thick skin is needed, but the the threads have been getting less relevant to Open Carry (it seems to me) for the reasons posted by Sparky and my tolerance for the other stuff has been diminishing.

    As well, the poster referred to above ( 14,000 and rising exponentially ) was just getting to be too much. I have made comments about out of State individuals before and have had my hands slapped for doing so.

    But I do come in occasionally to see if anything relevant is going on, and I read and comment on John Pierces posts on FB. I still carry without issues, and all is good.
    THE SECOND AMENDMENT: Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Government is not reason; it is not eloquent -- it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
    --George Washington,
    first U.S. president

  13. #13
    Regular Member Grim_Night's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pierce County, Washington
    Posts
    792
    Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    Some of us are tired of seeing argumentative posts that have NOTHING to do with the original subject. I will click on a new posting in a thread, and have no clue what they are talking about anymore. Posted a couple of breakfast meet-ups, and nobody responding. Place is going downhill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky508 View Post
    Not much to be said anymore, I open carried all over hell to breakfast, and not a creature was stirring....... Not to say that we won and all, but as far as open carry goes, it has been a non-issue for so long now that its almost like having an "I drove to work thread."
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Edmonds View Post
    For me, I lost most of my interest in this forum when it seemed clear that the Washington forum is dominated by non-Washingtonians. We try to have a discussion about Washington laws or politics and half the posters are from out of state.
    Quote Originally Posted by OlGutshotWilly View Post


    All relevant.

    I finally got tired of reading post after post of arguments and name calling and threads going off topic. Granted, we are all opinionated individualists on this forum, and a thick skin is needed, but the the threads have been getting less relevant to Open Carry (it seems to me) for the reasons posted by Sparky and my tolerance for the other stuff has been diminishing.

    As well, the poster referred to above ( 14,000 and rising exponentially ) was just getting to be too much. I have made comments about out of State individuals before and have had my hands slapped for doing so.

    But I do come in occasionally to see if anything relevant is going on, and I read and comment on John Pierces posts on FB. I still carry without issues, and all is good.
    All of these. I personally have been attacked by someone for posting a thread regarding issues at my former home. I joined this forum thinking that I would find other like minded people and at the time, I did. But over time it has degraded into argument after argument not even related to the original topic. Total thread derails have caused threads to be locked. I've seen reactions from posters ranging from "not my problem" to "you're an idiot" and beyond. These are total turn offs.

    I've gotten to the point that most of the time, I check the forums for legal. To see if there is some new court decision that I should pay attention to or could use in my daily life.
    Armed and annoyingly well informed!

    There are two constants when dealing with liberals:
    1) Liberals never quit until they are satisfied.
    2) Liberals are never satisfied.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Snohomish, WA
    Posts
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim_Night View Post
    All of these. I personally have been attacked by someone for posting a thread regarding issues at my former home. I joined this forum thinking that I would find other like minded people and at the time, I did. But over time it has degraded into argument after argument not even related to the original topic. Total thread derails have caused threads to be locked. I've seen reactions from posters ranging from "not my problem" to "you're an idiot" and beyond. These are total turn offs.

    I've gotten to the point that most of the time, I check the forums for legal. To see if there is some new court decision that I should pay attention to or could use in my daily life.
    Every group of people have their ass hats in one way or another but I once told FMJ 1911 that anti-gunners share the same opinion while pro-gunners do not, we have those who are in it for a sport, those for self defense, those that are fuds, those who are constitutionalist, and those who are all of the above in some way or another however we ended up getting divided because a lot of pro-gunners will also **** on everyone else who do not agree with them. I myself, and a hard core constitutionalist so I really don't care what you think or do as long as you don't deny my right to do so. I think this statement is the reason why no one cares plus everyone is on edge with 594 in effect.

  15. #15
    Regular Member Alpine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Mercer Island
    Posts
    661
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    The next even I plan on attending is May 9th at Mercer Island Lid Park:

    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...at-finish-line
    Just a reminder, I am very sorry but unless there is a major change in my schedule I will not be able to organize/host this. I really wish I could. I did want to get people talking about it and interested.

    Take lots of photos, would love to see them!

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Long gone
    Posts
    2,575
    [QUOTE=FMJ 911;2138087] What happened?


    We succeeded big time.
    Throw me to the wolves and I will come back leading the pack.

  17. #17
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    [QUOTE=Jeff Hayes;2140005]
    Quote Originally Posted by FMJ 911 View Post
    What happened?


    We succeeded big time.
    +1
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  18. #18
    Campaign Veteran gogodawgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Federal Way, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,667
    [QUOTE=Jeff Hayes;2140005]
    Quote Originally Posted by FMJ 911 View Post
    What happened?


    We succeeded big time.
    +2
    Live Free or Die!

  19. #19
    Campaign Veteran deepdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southeast, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,974
    Back in the day when the forum and I were a bit younger, I spent a lot of my OCDO time in the Washington forum. At that time, the knowledge, perspective and gains were only being matched by activists in Virginia and the VCDL. A family member who is LEO near a major WA city, was always surprised at my accurate knowledge of WA law, carry movement and higher profile, but still local, cases involving firearms or LEO shootings all of which was entirely due to this state sub-forum.

    In short, this particular state forum and its state members taught me and many others on OCDO much about OC, effective organizing, FOIA, etc. MO is just now addressing some things that WA forum members were actively accomplishing nearly a decade ago, such as carry on public transportation. I am thrilled that all of you have been so successful and have much gratitude for the long timers here for their invaluable information and trial blazing.

    I suspect it is because of that graciously shared wisdom, activism and sometimes hard-knocks, 6, 7, 8 years ago, that the Washington forum had so many non-Washington OCDO members reading and commenting on your threads. I have not been very active on OCDO over the last several years due to other obligations but for the newer members here, your state forum and its early members created a rich heritage on OCDO and a long list of accomplishment for which you should all be proud.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

  20. #20
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,616
    Quote Originally Posted by deepdiver View Post
    Back in the day when the forum and I were a bit younger, I spent a lot of my OCDO time in the Washington forum. At that time, the knowledge, perspective and gains were only being matched by activists in Virginia and the VCDL. A family member who is LEO near a major WA city, was always surprised at my accurate knowledge of WA law, carry movement and higher profile, but still local, cases involving firearms or LEO shootings all of which was entirely due to this state sub-forum.

    In short, this particular state forum and its state members taught me and many others on OCDO much about OC, effective organizing, FOIA, etc. MO is just now addressing some things that WA forum members were actively accomplishing nearly a decade ago, such as carry on public transportation. I am thrilled that all of you have been so successful and have much gratitude for the long timers here for their invaluable information and trial blazing.

    I suspect it is because of that graciously shared wisdom, activism and sometimes hard-knocks, 6, 7, 8 years ago, that the Washington forum had so many non-Washington OCDO members reading and commenting on your threads. I have not been very active on OCDO over the last several years due to other obligations but for the newer members here, your state forum and its early members created a rich heritage on OCDO and a long list of accomplishment for which you should all be proud.
    Very astute observation(s).
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •