• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What happened?

FMJ 911

This places used to be buzzing with activity! Monthly Meetings, Hangouts, Meetup's BBQ's, Shoots, lots of chat, etc. What happened?

I am carrying as I write this so it seems legal.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Some of us are tired of seeing argumentative posts that have NOTHING to do with the original subject. I will click on a new posting in a thread, and have no clue what they are talking about anymore. Posted a couple of breakfast meet-ups, and nobody responding. Place is going downhill.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Some of us are tired of seeing argumentative posts that have NOTHING to do with the original subject. I will click on a new posting in a thread, and have no clue what they are talking about anymore. Posted a couple of breakfast meet-ups, and nobody responding. Place is going downhill.
I do not see a problem the same as you do. The people in Washington are not so different than those in Virginia - the number of viewers on-line, number of posts, and number of threads show a high level of activity for both.

Perhaps the winter doldrums have effected some in your state, or possibly many consider meet n' greets passe, but overall Washington is quite involved here.

Virginians still enjoy chatting/exchanging info and their meet ups:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?130-Virginia

If there are threads that have drifted too far OT, report them. I will look and see where help might be needed.

Last edited:

Sparky508

Not much to be said anymore, I open carried all over hell to breakfast, and not a creature was stirring....... Not to say that we won and all, but as far as open carry goes, it has been a non-issue for so long now that its almost like having an "I drove to work thread.:p"

Last edited:

FMJ 911

I remember the 1st Saturday meetings in Bothell/Kenmore used to be quite convenient since they'd work a s a great jumping-off point for other activities including, but not limited to, Target Shooting or Shopping or maybe even a nice drive around the area.

Dave in Edmonds

For me, I lost most of my interest in this forum when it seemed clear that the Washington forum is dominated by non-Washingtonians. We try to have a discussion about Washington laws or politics and half the posters are from out of state.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Not much to be said anymore, I open carried all over hell to breakfast, and not a creature was stirring....... Not to say that we won and all, but as far as open carry goes, it has been a non-issue for so long now that its almost like having an "I drove to work thread.:p"

Agree

EMNofSeattle

The other thing is, it appears to me that OCTO has deteriorated in the same group of 45 posters arguing and there's not really much tolerance of dissenting opinions here. If you don't believe it's politically wise to walk to Olympia and your gas mask with your assault rifle then you're suddenly a communist liberal pinky anti-gun person

Or God for bid you believe in a retirement system for elderly people here. I've mostly migrated to other forums where you can actually have discussions in a reasonable manner

golddigger14s

Activist Member
For me, I lost most of my interest in this forum when it seemed clear that the Washington forum is dominated by non-Washingtonians. We try to have a discussion about Washington laws or politics and half the posters are from out of state.

This. Like someone who has 14k+ posts, because he has to put his two cents in for every post on this forum no matter what state it is.

Schlepnier

Quite honestly, lack of interest.

I tried to keep the south sound meetup going for over a year, including picnics in the summer and indoor meets in the winter.

We had one decent meet with about 12 people last summer when mary, bill and a few more showed.up at the park in Olympia.

otherwise I ended up sitting at a meet for 2 hours and am lucky if one member came by other than golddigger, then I never saw them again.

Sunday afternoon was the only time I really have free because of my work schedule, so the other meets don't work for me. with so little interest in even taking an hour out of the month for a meetup, I finally gave up trying.

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
Dave in Edmonds
For me, I lost most of my interest in this forum when it seemed clear that the Washington forum is dominated by non-Washingtonians. We try to have a discussion about Washington laws or politics and half the posters are from out of state.​
golddigger14
This. Like someone who has 14k+ posts, because he has to put his two cents in for every post on this forum no matter what state it is
Sparky508
Not much to be said anymore, I open carried all over hell to breakfast, and not a creature was stirring....... Not to say that we won and all, but as far as open carry goes, it has been a non-issue for so long now that its almost like having an "I drove to work thread.:p"​
golddigger14s
Some of us are tired of seeing argumentative posts that have NOTHING to do with the original subject.​

All relevant.

I finally got tired of reading post after post of arguments and name calling and threads going off topic. Granted, we are all opinionated individualists on this forum, and a thick skin is needed, but the the threads have been getting less relevant to Open Carry (it seems to me) for the reasons posted by Sparky and my tolerance for the other stuff has been diminishing.

As well, the poster referred to above ( 14,000 and rising exponentially ) was just getting to be too much. I have made comments about out of State individuals before and have had my hands slapped for doing so.

But I do come in occasionally to see if anything relevant is going on, and I read and comment on John Pierces posts on FB. I still carry without issues, and all is good.​

Grim_Night

All relevant.

I finally got tired of reading post after post of arguments and name calling and threads going off topic. Granted, we are all opinionated individualists on this forum, and a thick skin is needed, but the the threads have been getting less relevant to Open Carry (it seems to me) for the reasons posted by Sparky and my tolerance for the other stuff has been diminishing.

As well, the poster referred to above ( 14,000 and rising exponentially ) was just getting to be too much. I have made comments about out of State individuals before and have had my hands slapped for doing so.

But I do come in occasionally to see if anything relevant is going on, and I read and comment on John Pierces posts on FB. I still carry without issues, and all is good.​

All of these. I personally have been attacked by someone for posting a thread regarding issues at my former home. I joined this forum thinking that I would find other like minded people and at the time, I did. But over time it has degraded into argument after argument not even related to the original topic. Total thread derails have caused threads to be locked. I've seen reactions from posters ranging from "not my problem" to "you're an idiot" and beyond. These are total turn offs.

I've gotten to the point that most of the time, I check the forums for legal. To see if there is some new court decision that I should pay attention to or could use in my daily life.

Seriona

All of these. I personally have been attacked by someone for posting a thread regarding issues at my former home. I joined this forum thinking that I would find other like minded people and at the time, I did. But over time it has degraded into argument after argument not even related to the original topic. Total thread derails have caused threads to be locked. I've seen reactions from posters ranging from "not my problem" to "you're an idiot" and beyond. These are total turn offs.

I've gotten to the point that most of the time, I check the forums for legal. To see if there is some new court decision that I should pay attention to or could use in my daily life.

Every group of people have their ass hats in one way or another but I once told FMJ 1911 that anti-gunners share the same opinion while pro-gunners do not, we have those who are in it for a sport, those for self defense, those that are fuds, those who are constitutionalist, and those who are all of the above in some way or another however we ended up getting divided because a lot of pro-gunners will also **** on everyone else who do not agree with them. I myself, and a hard core constitutionalist so I really don't care what you think or do as long as you don't deny my right to do so. I think this statement is the reason why no one cares plus everyone is on edge with 594 in effect.

Alpine

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
Back in the day when the forum and I were a bit younger, I spent a lot of my OCDO time in the Washington forum. At that time, the knowledge, perspective and gains were only being matched by activists in Virginia and the VCDL. A family member who is LEO near a major WA city, was always surprised at my accurate knowledge of WA law, carry movement and higher profile, but still local, cases involving firearms or LEO shootings all of which was entirely due to this state sub-forum.

In short, this particular state forum and its state members taught me and many others on OCDO much about OC, effective organizing, FOIA, etc. MO is just now addressing some things that WA forum members were actively accomplishing nearly a decade ago, such as carry on public transportation. I am thrilled that all of you have been so successful and have much gratitude for the long timers here for their invaluable information and trial blazing.

I suspect it is because of that graciously shared wisdom, activism and sometimes hard-knocks, 6, 7, 8 years ago, that the Washington forum had so many non-Washington OCDO members reading and commenting on your threads. I have not been very active on OCDO over the last several years due to other obligations but for the newer members here, your state forum and its early members created a rich heritage on OCDO and a long list of accomplishment for which you should all be proud.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Back in the day when the forum and I were a bit younger, I spent a lot of my OCDO time in the Washington forum. At that time, the knowledge, perspective and gains were only being matched by activists in Virginia and the VCDL. A family member who is LEO near a major WA city, was always surprised at my accurate knowledge of WA law, carry movement and higher profile, but still local, cases involving firearms or LEO shootings all of which was entirely due to this state sub-forum.

In short, this particular state forum and its state members taught me and many others on OCDO much about OC, effective organizing, FOIA, etc. MO is just now addressing some things that WA forum members were actively accomplishing nearly a decade ago, such as carry on public transportation. I am thrilled that all of you have been so successful and have much gratitude for the long timers here for their invaluable information and trial blazing.

I suspect it is because of that graciously shared wisdom, activism and sometimes hard-knocks, 6, 7, 8 years ago, that the Washington forum had so many non-Washington OCDO members reading and commenting on your threads. I have not been very active on OCDO over the last several years due to other obligations but for the newer members here, your state forum and its early members created a rich heritage on OCDO and a long list of accomplishment for which you should all be proud.
Very astute observation(s).
icon14.png