Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Music Minded folks here?

Any Music Minded folks here?

What is your weapon of choice when it comes to playing music? I've been having a grand old time with my 4-String Ibanez SR300 Electric Bass in Roadster Orange. At this stage I play mostly what I can rather than focus on one genre. Although Free Bird is one tough song to learn!

I've also noticed that my trigger control is slightly improved since I've started playing. Coincidence? Who knows, maybe there is a connection.
    "May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't." George Patton

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    I love my Ibanez through my marshal stack.

Used to have a Les Paul but had to sell, truth was didn't play it that much.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

I play a Schecter C-7 Hellraiser through a Carvin V3 2x12 combo. It's a pretty sweet setup. I don't claim to be a guitarist although I've been playing for over 20 years

I've also got a cheapish Yamaha drum kit. Drums are my true passion. I'm a Drum Tech by trade, among many other production related aspects of music.
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

An OC Casual music jam would be real interesting. To me, Music & Guns make a good combination!

Quote Originally Posted by FMJ 911 View Post
    An OC Casual music jam would be real interesting. To me, Music & Guns make a good combination!
    Would be fun. I would put my self in Truths camp though. I miss jamming, haven't done so since my drummer buddy committed suicide.

"Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Would be fun. I would put my self in Truths camp though. I miss jamming, haven't done so since my drummer buddy committed suicide.
    I'm sorry for your loss.

I'm sorry for your loss.
    Thank you. I miss the bastard, I take some solice that he isn't suffering from what ever pushed him to take his life.

Sorry didn't mean to bring the thread down.

Back to happy jam!

There's this rather interesting program I found called "Rocksmith". Unlike Guitar Hero which is just a game, Rocksmith uses a game-type format with a real instrument such as a Guitar or Bass. It may not be a perfect system, but my playing has noticeably improved since using it.

One cool thing is Two Player mode where a song is selected and one person plugs in a Guitar and the other a Bass (or 2nd Guitar) and proceed play the song together.

I have the Xbox 360 version but they have one for Playstation and PC.

When you Jam do you jam jam or play others music?

I mostly play songs but am slowly working my way into jamming since I'm more familiar with scales and band chords and the like. Really at this point I figure interaction with other musicians would be beneficial.

I mostly play songs but am slowly working my way into jamming since I'm more familiar with scales and band chords and the like. Really at this point I figure interaction with other musicians would be beneficial.
    +1 It definitely does when I started jammin long ago it helped my playing tremendously. I still have bad ears for copying other songs. Although I do play several from Ozzy to the Beatles.

My love is creating music. Penatonic scale is so versatile to play over any invented progression.

I would love to learn to play the guitar. That's one thing on my bucket list, for sure.

I play a little guitar and a little piano... Hoping to get bigger ones eventually *rim shot*

Seriously, I got a digital piano a few years back and hadn't played piano in years excepting at my parents house at Christmas because Mom always asks me to. As I started playing it, I got the urge to start practicing on my guitars again too and even got together with friends to play together some. I've had too much going on the last 6 months and have fallen out of the practice habit, but I hope I can get back to all of it by end of summer.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

I fumbled around on the guitar for a few years, but realized that it just wasn't going to work.

I keep my hand in the music industry now by hosting a twice-a-week Internet Radio show that centers on Independent/Unsigned Artists.

I play one mean CD player. I can play anything as long as it is on a CD disk.

Cool

I used to gig most weekends for several years and was the House drummer for several club's Blues Jam nights back in my peak days about 15 - 20 years back. Blues/Funk Classic rock was my forte playing Muddy Waters to Jimi Hendrix/Robin Trower.

<-- people dancing

NOTE For Drummers: Yes, I used 2 rides, a K Custom Flat-top and an A-Ping. Hats are New Beats, 16" A Medium Thin Crash and an 18" 40's/50's(?) K "Big Band" Crash/Ride (Called Zildjian and that's the closest they could nail it down. I bought it AND the A Ping for $40 at a local pawn shop! They were actually GREEN with patena! Had to clean them as they sounded "dead" and I like them "bright" sounding). The only non-Zildjian in the bunch is my Sabian B8-Pro Splash.

Music background, resume, bragging, me me me
    http://www.herohog.com/mcspeedy.html
    Last edited by HeroHog; 04-22-2015 at 09:59 AM. Reason: `cause I felt like it?
    Speedy: LOCAL League Sec/Treasurer, Information Officer
    AKA: Hero Hog, Dr. Speed, "The Brass Mangler" and "That fat, old, balding, Grey-bearded gimpy guy"

I don't have NEAR enough ammo on hand. `nuff said.

NRA Life Member, LSA, USN-DAV

"Stay safe..." - Paul "Skidmark" Henick, RIP

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Great stuff Speedy.

Learned something new and definitely neat about you - a dummer?, ya I can dig that.....and the beat goes on
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

I mixed for two bands in college and for a church afterwards.

I began playing bongos in high school, then migrated to congas. I once played a gig in New Orleans before a decent crowd of about 200, and played drums in church for a year (trap set).

I picked up an acoustic guitar a few years ago and have been fumbling around with it. I know about a dozen chords, and thanks to the rhythm of the drums, my strumming is decent. Still can't play chords well. That's probably why I picked up bongos in high school.

I was in choir in high school as well, and sang some solos as a baritone and tenor. In the college bands, I stepped up to sing songs by Journey and a couple of other bands, as I was the only one in the bands who could hit those notes.
    Last edited by since9; 04-25-2015 at 04:09 AM.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by HeroHog View Post
    I used to gig most weekends for several years and was the House drummer for several club's Blues Jam nights back in my peak days about 15 - 20 years back. Blues/Funk Classic rock was my forte playing Muddy Waters to Jimi Hendrix/Robin Trower.

<-- people dancing

NOTE For Drummers: Yes, I used 2 rides, a K Custom Flat-top and an A-Ping. Hats are New Beats, 16" A Medium Thin Crash and an 18" 40's/50's(?) K "Big Band" Crash/Ride (Called Zildjian and that's the closest they could nail it down. I bought it AND the A Ping for $40 at a local pawn shop! They were actually GREEN with patena! Had to clean them as they sounded "dead" and I like them "bright" sounding). The only non-Zildjian in the bunch is my Sabian B8-Pro Splash.

Music background, resume, bragging, me me me
    http://www.herohog.com/mcspeedy.html
    Thats awesome! I notice that drummers that seem to known what they are doing keep a lower profile on their kit. Am I off base?

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    I mixed for two bands in college and for a church afterwards.

I began playing bongos in high school, then migrated to congas. I once played a gig in New Orleans before a decent crowd of about 200, and play drums in church for a year (trap set).

I picked up an acoustic guitar a few years ago and have been fumbling around with it. I know about a dozen chords, and that's to the rhythm of the drums, my strumming is decent. Still can't play chords well. That's probably why I picked up bongos in high school.

I was in choir in high school as well, and sang some solos as a baritone and tenor. In the college bands, I stepped up to sing songs by Journey and a couple of other bands, as I was the only one in the bands who could hit those notes.
    Have you learned the basic bar chords? That opens up all keys and all chords to simple fret positioning.

Have you learned the basic bar chords? That opens up all keys and all chords to simple fret positioning.
    I think it's a matter of having bumped my head a few too many times as a kid. My handwriting is atrocious, but I can type 63 wpm and am one of the faster bongo players on the planet, with speeds and variations rivaling all but the most accomplished and well-known professionals.

When it comes to playing guitar, I strum just fine (large motor skills) but can barely stumble through A, Am, A7, C, Cm7, D, Dm, D7, E, Em, F, G, and G7.

I really struggle with bar chords. F, E7, and A7 are the only ones I've learned, and it's difficult for me to do bar chords with my left elbow putting up a fuss.

Perhaps I'm holding the guitar wrong?
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    I think it's a matter of having bumped my head a few too many times as a kid. My handwriting is atrocious, but I can type 63 wpm and am one of the faster bongo players on the planet, with speeds and variations rivaling all but the most accomplished and well-known professionals.

When it comes to playing guitar, I strum just fine (large motor skills) but can barely stumble through A, Am, A7, C, Cm7, D, Dm, D7, E, Em, F, G, and G7.

I really struggle with bar chords. F, E7, and A7 are the only ones I've learned, and it's difficult for me to do bar chords with my left elbow putting up a fuss.

Perhaps I'm holding the guitar wrong?
    Could be how you are holding. Does doing bar chords in the higher register make it easier? Maybe the you need a skinnier neck on your guitar. One reason why my Ibanez is so much easier to play than my Les Paul was.

There are some great you tube videos for instruction and playing just about any song you want to.

Also don't be afraid to find your own bar chords and change how you finger the common ones, find what is easiest on you, there are no rulers when it comes to guitar! LOL....
    Last edited by sudden valley gunner; 04-25-2015 at 08:48 AM.

Cool

Thats awesome! I notice that drummers that seem to known what they are doing keep a lower profile on their kit. Am I off base?
    I can't really say that but I will tell you that the folks I gigged with and hung with went in more for "Go" than "Show." Spinning sticks and throwing them in the air doesn't make better music. Yes, it IS a better show. That's why some drummers keep their cymbals so high. It looks cooler to have to reach way up there and smash them! I have NEVER cracked a cymbal because beating the **** out of them doesn't make them sound any better. If ya need more volume, mic them! I promise that I can play with PLENTY of dynamics without resorting to abusing my kit. I keep my kit low and tight to conserve motion. I don't wear out as fast so I play better. I can move between the drums and cymbals faster so I can play better. It works for me.

Thanks for the props!
    Speedy: LOCAL League Sec/Treasurer, Information Officer
    AKA: Hero Hog, Dr. Speed, "The Brass Mangler" and "That fat, old, balding, Grey-bearded gimpy guy"

I don't have NEAR enough ammo on hand. `nuff said.

NRA Life Member, LSA, USN-DAV

"Stay safe..." - Paul "Skidmark" Henick, RIP

Could be how you are holding. Does doing bar chords in the higher register make it easier? Maybe the you need a skinnier neck on your guitar. One reason why my Ibanez is so much easier to play than my Les Paul was.

There are some great you tube videos for instruction and playing just about any song you want to.

Also don't be afraid to find your own bar chords and change how you finger the common ones, find what is easiest on you, there are no rulers when it comes to guitar! LOL....
    Thanks for the tips! I didn't think outside the box on this one. So you're saying if I find bar chording an E, Fm, and E7 easy, then I should just slide them and use them to round out the chords I find difficult to play, such as the B chords. I'm concerned the higher pitch would be problematic. No?

There is a guitar at the store I find a lot easier to play, but I couldn't figure out why. Might be the neck geometry. I never thought about that one, either.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    In my youth, I was a trumpet player - taught/trained in the classical style, though I was no Maurice Andre. Air from the diaphragm, tight cheeks not blown out and puffy like Satchmo - clarity of high notes was a breeze.

Played Oh Mein Papa at my grandfathers funeral w/tears streaming down my face......never played again publicly, the joy had gone out of it. Still love the sound of brass - the coronet may be mellow but the trumpet rules.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast