• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any Music Minded folks here?

since9

Campaign Veteran
Have you learned the basic bar chords? That opens up all keys and all chords to simple fret positioning.

I think it's a matter of having bumped my head a few too many times as a kid. My handwriting is atrocious, but I can type 63 wpm and am one of the faster bongo players on the planet, with speeds and variations rivaling all but the most accomplished and well-known professionals.

When it comes to playing guitar, I strum just fine (large motor skills) but can barely stumble through A, Am, A7, C, Cm7, D, Dm, D7, E, Em, F, G, and G7.

I really struggle with bar chords. F, E7, and A7 are the only ones I've learned, and it's difficult for me to do bar chords with my left elbow putting up a fuss.

Perhaps I'm holding the guitar wrong?

sudden valley gunner

I think it's a matter of having bumped my head a few too many times as a kid. My handwriting is atrocious, but I can type 63 wpm and am one of the faster bongo players on the planet, with speeds and variations rivaling all but the most accomplished and well-known professionals.

When it comes to playing guitar, I strum just fine (large motor skills) but can barely stumble through A, Am, A7, C, Cm7, D, Dm, D7, E, Em, F, G, and G7.

I really struggle with bar chords. F, E7, and A7 are the only ones I've learned, and it's difficult for me to do bar chords with my left elbow putting up a fuss.

Perhaps I'm holding the guitar wrong?

Could be how you are holding. Does doing bar chords in the higher register make it easier? Maybe the you need a skinnier neck on your guitar. One reason why my Ibanez is so much easier to play than my Les Paul was.

There are some great you tube videos for instruction and playing just about any song you want to.

Also don't be afraid to find your own bar chords and change how you finger the common ones, find what is easiest on you, there are no rulers when it comes to guitar! LOL....

Last edited:

HeroHog

Thats awesome! I notice that drummers that seem to known what they are doing keep a lower profile on their kit. Am I off base?
I can't really say that but I will tell you that the folks I gigged with and hung with went in more for "Go" than "Show." Spinning sticks and throwing them in the air doesn't make better music. Yes, it IS a better show. That's why some drummers keep their cymbals so high. It looks cooler to have to reach way up there and smash them! I have NEVER cracked a cymbal because beating the **** out of them doesn't make them sound any better. If ya need more volume, mic them! I promise that I can play with PLENTY of dynamics without resorting to abusing my kit. I keep my kit low and tight to conserve motion. I don't wear out as fast so I play better. I can move between the drums and cymbals faster so I can play better. It works for me.

Thanks for the props! :banana:

since9

Campaign Veteran
Could be how you are holding. Does doing bar chords in the higher register make it easier? Maybe the you need a skinnier neck on your guitar. One reason why my Ibanez is so much easier to play than my Les Paul was.

There are some great you tube videos for instruction and playing just about any song you want to.

Also don't be afraid to find your own bar chords and change how you finger the common ones, find what is easiest on you, there are no rulers when it comes to guitar! LOL....

Thanks for the tips! I didn't think outside the box on this one. So you're saying if I find bar chording an E, Fm, and E7 easy, then I should just slide them and use them to round out the chords I find difficult to play, such as the B chords. I'm concerned the higher pitch would be problematic. No?

There is a guitar at the store I find a lot easier to play, but I couldn't figure out why. Might be the neck geometry. I never thought about that one, either.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
In my youth, I was a trumpet player - taught/trained in the classical style, though I was no Maurice Andre. Air from the diaphragm, tight cheeks not blown out and puffy like Satchmo - clarity of high notes was a breeze.

Played Oh Mein Papa at my grandfathers funeral w/tears streaming down my face......never played again publicly, the joy had gone out of it. Still love the sound of brass - the coronet may be mellow but the trumpet rules.

sudden valley gunner

Thanks for the tips! I didn't think outside the box on this one. So you're saying if I find bar chording an E, Fm, and E7 easy, then I should just slide them and use them to round out the chords I find difficult to play, such as the B chords. I'm concerned the higher pitch would be problematic. No?There is a guitar at the store I find a lot easier to play, but I couldn't figure out why. Might be the neck geometry. I never thought about that one, either.
As long as you have the chord right the higher pitch usually isn't a problem, does depend sometimes on the song though. The B bar chord on the first string 7th fret will be very similar pitch to the B bar chord 2nd string 2nd fret. Yea just slide them around and have fun! If you learn your triads or know how to create them you can do a limitless amount of 3finger three string chords all over the guitar, I find sometimes its fun doing that just to change a song up.

georg jetson

+1 It definitely does when I started jammin long ago it helped my playing tremendously. I still have bad ears for copying other songs. Although I do play several from Ozzy to the Beatles.

My love is creating music. Penatonic scale is so versatile to play over any invented progression.

Yep. Penatonic or 5 note scales are very useful and easy. Only 5 notes means you only need to memorize 5 different 6 string patterns and then just move them up and down the neck depending on the key. Throw in a flat 5 and a bend from the second to the minor third and you're on your way.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Yep. Penatonic or 5 note scales are very useful and easy. Only 5 notes means you only need to memorize 5 different 6 string patterns and then just move them up and down the neck depending on the key. Throw in a flat 5 and a bend from the second to the minor third and you're on your way.
+1 BB King kills with the pentatonic.