• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any Music Minded folks here?

FMJ 911

What is your weapon of choice when it comes to playing music? I've been having a grand old time with my 4-String Ibanez SR300 Electric Bass in Roadster Orange. At this stage I play mostly what I can rather than focus on one genre. Although Free Bird is one tough song to learn!

I've also noticed that my trigger control is slightly improved since I've started playing. Coincidence? Who knows, maybe there is a connection.

The Truth

I play a Schecter C-7 Hellraiser through a Carvin V3 2x12 combo. It's a pretty sweet setup. I don't claim to be a guitarist although I've been playing for over 20 years ;)

I've also got a cheapish Yamaha drum kit. Drums are my true passion. I'm a Drum Tech by trade, among many other production related aspects of music.

FMJ 911

There's this rather interesting program I found called "Rocksmith". Unlike Guitar Hero which is just a game, Rocksmith uses a game-type format with a real instrument such as a Guitar or Bass. It may not be a perfect system, but my playing has noticeably improved since using it.

One cool thing is Two Player mode where a song is selected and one person plugs in a Guitar and the other a Bass (or 2nd Guitar) and proceed play the song together.

I have the Xbox 360 version but they have one for Playstation and PC.

FMJ 911

I mostly play songs but am slowly working my way into jamming since I'm more familiar with scales and band chords and the like. Really at this point I figure interaction with other musicians would be beneficial.

sudden valley gunner

I mostly play songs but am slowly working my way into jamming since I'm more familiar with scales and band chords and the like. Really at this point I figure interaction with other musicians would be beneficial.

+1 It definitely does when I started jammin long ago it helped my playing tremendously. I still have bad ears for copying other songs. Although I do play several from Ozzy to the Beatles.

My love is creating music. Penatonic scale is so versatile to play over any invented progression.

J_dazzle23

I would love to learn to play the guitar. That's one thing on my bucket list, for sure.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
I play a little guitar and a little piano... Hoping to get bigger ones eventually *rim shot*

Seriously, I got a digital piano a few years back and hadn't played piano in years excepting at my parents house at Christmas because Mom always asks me to. As I started playing it, I got the urge to start practicing on my guitars again too and even got together with friends to play together some. I've had too much going on the last 6 months and have fallen out of the practice habit, but I hope I can get back to all of it by end of summer.

b0neZ

I fumbled around on the guitar for a few years, but realized that it just wasn't going to work.

I keep my hand in the music industry now by hosting a twice-a-week Internet Radio show that centers on Independent/Unsigned Artists.

HeroHog

I used to gig most weekends for several years and was the House drummer for several club's Blues Jam nights back in my peak days about 15 - 20 years back. Blues/Funk Classic rock was my forte playing Muddy Waters to Jimi Hendrix/Robin Trower.

bootsiedanielsband01.jpg

KitFront.jpg

KitBack.jpg

:banana::monkey:monkey:banana::monkey <-- people dancing

NOTE For Drummers: Yes, I used 2 rides, a K Custom Flat-top and an A-Ping. Hats are New Beats, 16" A Medium Thin Crash and an 18" 40's/50's(?) K "Big Band" Crash/Ride (Called Zildjian and that's the closest they could nail it down. I bought it AND the A Ping for $40 at a local pawn shop! They were actually GREEN with patena! Had to clean them as they sounded "dead" and I like them "bright" sounding). The only non-Zildjian in the bunch is my Sabian B8-Pro Splash.

Music background, resume, bragging, me me me :p
http://www.herohog.com/mcspeedy.html

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Great stuff Speedy.

Learned something new and definitely neat about you - a dummer?, ya I can dig that.....and the beat goes on :)

since9

Campaign Veteran
I mixed for two bands in college and for a church afterwards.

I began playing bongos in high school, then migrated to congas. I once played a gig in New Orleans before a decent crowd of about 200, and played drums in church for a year (trap set).

I picked up an acoustic guitar a few years ago and have been fumbling around with it. I know about a dozen chords, and thanks to the rhythm of the drums, my strumming is decent. Still can't play chords well. That's probably why I picked up bongos in high school.

I was in choir in high school as well, and sang some solos as a baritone and tenor. In the college bands, I stepped up to sing songs by Journey and a couple of other bands, as I was the only one in the bands who could hit those notes.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

I used to gig most weekends for several years and was the House drummer for several club's Blues Jam nights back in my peak days about 15 - 20 years back. Blues/Funk Classic rock was my forte playing Muddy Waters to Jimi Hendrix/Robin Trower.

bootsiedanielsband01.jpg

KitFront.jpg

KitBack.jpg

:banana::monkey:monkey:banana::monkey <-- people dancing

NOTE For Drummers: Yes, I used 2 rides, a K Custom Flat-top and an A-Ping. Hats are New Beats, 16" A Medium Thin Crash and an 18" 40's/50's(?) K "Big Band" Crash/Ride (Called Zildjian and that's the closest they could nail it down. I bought it AND the A Ping for $40 at a local pawn shop! They were actually GREEN with patena! Had to clean them as they sounded "dead" and I like them "bright" sounding). The only non-Zildjian in the bunch is my Sabian B8-Pro Splash.

Music background, resume, bragging, me me me :p
http://www.herohog.com/mcspeedy.html

Thats awesome! I notice that drummers that seem to known what they are doing keep a lower profile on their kit. Am I off base?

sudden valley gunner

I mixed for two bands in college and for a church afterwards.

I began playing bongos in high school, then migrated to congas. I once played a gig in New Orleans before a decent crowd of about 200, and play drums in church for a year (trap set).

I picked up an acoustic guitar a few years ago and have been fumbling around with it. I know about a dozen chords, and that's to the rhythm of the drums, my strumming is decent. Still can't play chords well. That's probably why I picked up bongos in high school.

I was in choir in high school as well, and sang some solos as a baritone and tenor. In the college bands, I stepped up to sing songs by Journey and a couple of other bands, as I was the only one in the bands who could hit those notes.

Have you learned the basic bar chords? That opens up all keys and all chords to simple fret positioning.