Thread: Drudge: DAWN OF NATIONAL POLICE FORCE. Proposed federal rules for NYPD training ...

Drudge: DAWN OF NATIONAL POLICE FORCE. Proposed federal rules for NYPD training ...

Proposed federal rules for NYPD training include Cop 101 advice like 'don't be racist'

The federal monitor overseeing reforms to the NYPD wants the current class of Police Academy recruits to be taught groundbreaking new concepts like: Donít be racist, donít mock others, donít tell sexist jokes and donít hassle people for no reason.

The monitor, Peter Zimroth, asked Manhattan Federal Judge Analisa Torres on Monday to approve the stack of new training materials that will be presented to the class of cadets graduating in June.

He included in filings more than 75 PowerPoint slides that delve into the nitty-gritty of police work, detail constitutional stop-and-frisk practices ó and give remedial directions that, it is hoped, the officers already know.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2192488
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    [B]... and give remedial directions that, it is hoped, the officers already know.
    Such as this piece, that wouldn't have been necessary had the officers already known?
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    In some of the news about the riots in Baltimore, there was a report that Dumbo's people had contacted Maryland's governor to "exercise restraint" in the use of state police or National Guard in Baltimore.
    This is another example of how this administration wants control of police.
    Obama's well-documented NPD (narcissistic personality disorder aka megalomania in earlier times of psychiatric study) has him believing we should all respond with a "Yessir, Massah!"

Sorry, but his massive reverse discrimination, compounded by the inept efforts of his various henchmen including Weird Al, JJ, and Hold 'em even if you don't got 'em Bill, is filthy vile at worst. I'm sick of it. Nearly all of my friends who are black are sick of it. My neighbors, many of who are well-educated foreigners are sick of it. Whether they voted for him or not, my extended family is either sick of it or sick of hearing about it.

This gentleman, whom I greatly admire, spelled things out to a "T":

Last edited by since9; 04-30-2015 at 04:07 AM.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

I am not a federalist, or a Obama supporter, but it IS the job of the federal government to protect the rights of the people. We can't cry when the president tries to keep a lid on it, after speaking out about the horrible abuses of power in Boston.

What do you want, unlimited police power, or limits to what police can do to rights? So far I see the NYPD changes, as positive changes, IF they make it to the street.
    It is well that war is so terrible Ė otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Founder's Club Member
    Proposed federal rules for NYPD training include Cop 101 advice like 'don't be racist'

The federal monitor overseeing reforms to the NYPD wants the current class of Police Academy recruits to be taught groundbreaking new concepts like: Don’t be racist, don’t mock others, don’t tell sexist jokes and don’t hassle people for no reason.

The monitor, Peter Zimroth, asked Manhattan Federal Judge Analisa Torres on Monday to approve the stack of new training materials that will be presented to the class of cadets graduating in June.

He included in filings more than 75 PowerPoint slides that delve into the nitty-gritty of police work, detail constitutional stop-and-frisk practices — and give remedial directions that, it is hoped, the officers already know.

They already had training. If it didn't work the last time, what makes anybody think it will work this time?

Accountability works. Get rid of qualified immunity (which turned rights upside down*), get rid of the good-faith exception (court-speak for "good enough for government work"**), and get rid of the new "reasonable mistakes of law." Then hold the violators accountable, over, through, and around the unions if you have to.

One of the true tests of the federal monitor's sincerity will be what he plans to do about the Blue Wall of Silence. Make it a serious offense to retaliate against a whistle-blower cop--and then actually prosecute the retaliator(s).

Here in Fairfax Co., the FCPD killed an unarmed man in the doorway of his home some 18 months ago. Well, after much foot dragging and some cover up, the Board of Supervisors created a commission to review FCPD's policies. It doesn't take two brain cells to realize that will go nowhere. FCPD is accredited by CALEA. FCPD's policies were already vetted by an accreditation agency. Some of their policies and procedures were created by the accreditation agency. So, what will the commission find? That FCPD has some of the best policies in the country.

I have a feeling the NYPD monitor will accomplish nothing unless he's got some plan to hold violators accountable and break the culture.

*One of the standards used by the courts in determining whether a cop gets qualified immunity is whether his action was prohibited by clearly established law. So, if there is no clearly established law against him, say, walking a drug dog up to your apartment door for a sniff, he's good. So, if you have a window open, and some weed smoke comes wafting in from the alley, now he can get a warrant and break down your door. The cop can invent pretty much anything he thinks he can fit through a loophole. As long as there is no clearly established law (including case law) against it that he should have reasonably known about, he's covered.

**Credit to John Hall at FourthAmendment.com for "good enough for government work". Saw that on his blog a few years ago.
    Last edited by Citizen; 04-30-2015 at 02:20 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

As long as there is QI the problem will continue to exist. Hopefully we are moving in that direction at some point in time. Government is slowly getting that people are just fed up.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Regular Member Have Gun - Will Carry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    As long as there is QI the problem will continue to exist.
    Agreed, wholeheartedly!

Hopefully we are moving in that direction at some point in time. Government is slowly getting that people are just fed up.
    I wish you were right, but unfortunately I don't think that's it... More and more people are opening their eyes, seeing what's going on, and "getting it", but I don't think government - at any level - is getting it. They're all in denial... heads buried in the sand... simply too insulated from any consequences of doing a bad job to care what the people think of them.

Personally, I believe nearly every public official in this country just wants to ride the wave, to see how long they can sail the government gravy boat, betting that they can smell the wind shifting and jump ship before anything hits the fan. And that when it does (if it does, in their eyes) hit the fan, their successor will be there to take the fall.

That's just my opinion, of course - believe me, I'd prefer that you were right!
    ďThere is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leader, and concerting measures in opposition to each other.Ē - John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    Experience? Experience means political success, which means (today) Democrat or Republican. And it is precisely these professional politicians who have become corrupt and unrepresentative of the American people.

Centurion
    As long as there is QI the problem will continue to exist. Hopefully we are moving in that direction at some point in time. Government is slowly getting that people are just fed up.
    Government MAY be getting that folks are fed up but the response is to double down on those things that frustrated and angered the citizens in the first place!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    Government MAY be getting that folks are fed up but the response is to double down on those things that frustrated and angered the citizens in the first place!
    That does not seem to be the case in Baltimore, or North Charleston SC. Government officials have brought charges to corrupt officers. There is a movement building, and if you look at protestors you can see the white faces that are appearing in those crowds. I truly hope this issue will be of prime importance in the 2016 election, this voting block should hold Hilary's feet to the fire, before just handing her their votes.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

That does not seem to be the case in Baltimore, or North Charleston SC. Government officials have brought charges to corrupt officers.
    It's "allegedly corrupt," and given the half an hour time period between Gray's initial contact with officers (when he ran) and when paramedics arrived, the prosecuting attorney's allegations that all six of them were negligent by refusing to respond to his request for medical attention. If the paramedics arrived in 30 minutes, then it's highly likely one or more of the six officers called for medical help. If the others didn't, it would only be because the knew one of the others had already done so.

Regardless, as a good law enforcement friend pointed out, perps are infamous for complaining about needing medical attention when they don't, including dragging their feet. While that's not sufficient excuse for the officers not providing immediate medical treatment if it was warranted, let's consider what they saw: One perp, normal takedown, and he's complaining loudly, but with no visible trauma except he's dragging his feet, a common tactic. Furthermore, the officers are not qualified to assess anything like broken bones, much less neurological trauma.

What would you do? I'd do what the officers did: Call the medics and put him in the paddy wagon. Should they have put him in a seat-belt? Refused to move until the paramedics arrived? Perhaps if he'd jumped off a building or it were anything other than a routine takedown. All this Monday-morning quarterbacking, however, is giving me a headache.

There is a movement building, and if you look at protestors you can see the white faces that are appearing in those crowds. I truly hope this issue will be of prime importance in the 2016 election, this voting block should hold Hilary's feet to the fire, before just handing her their votes.
    After Benghazi, my eyes have remained wide open when it comes to Hillary Clinton.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    It's "allegedly corrupt," and given the half an hour time period between Gray's initial contact with officers (when he ran) and when paramedics arrived, the prosecuting attorney's allegations that all six of them were negligent by refusing to respond to his request for medical attention. If the paramedics arrived in 30 minutes, then it's highly likely one or more of the six officers called for medical help. If the others didn't, it would only be because the knew one of the others had already done so.

Regardless, as a good law enforcement friend pointed out, perps are infamous for complaining about needing medical attention when they don't, including dragging their feet. While that's not sufficient excuse for the officers not providing immediate medical treatment if it was warranted, let's consider what they saw: One perp, normal takedown, and he's complaining loudly, but with no visible trauma except he's dragging his feet, a common tactic. Furthermore, the officers are not qualified to assess anything like broken bones, much less neurological trauma.

What would you do? I'd do what the officers did: Call the medics and put him in the paddy wagon. Should they have put him in a seat-belt? Refused to move until the paramedics arrived? Perhaps if he'd jumped off a building or it were anything other than a routine takedown. All this Monday-morning quarterbacking, however, is giving me a headache.

After Benghazi, my eyes have remained wide open when it comes to Hillary Clinton.
    Really, You would make an unlawful arrest without RAS, or PC?
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Really, You would make an unlawful arrest without RAS, or PC?
    Or warrant.

It appears he had an outstanding warrant for his arrest. If so, there's nothing unlawful about arresting a man on an outstanding warrant (attached). Also, the original two officers were bicycle cops. Small beat. Given his long rap sheet, one or both of them probably knew him, as well as the fact he was wanted.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	136-arrest-warrant-700 - Gray.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	12505

The federal monitor overseeing reforms to the NYPD wants the current class of Police Academy recruits to be taught groundbreaking new concepts like: Donít be racist, donít mock others, donít tell sexist jokes and donít hassle people for no reason.

He included in filings more than 75 PowerPoint slides that delve into the nitty-gritty of police work, detail constitutional stop-and-frisk practices ó and give remedial directions that, it is hoped, the officers already know.

This type training or concepts have been taught for decades it is nothing new. I wonder if the monitor has actually read or looked at the NYPD training materials. Or attended the any academy training classes.

But then he has to come up with some thing to earn his money.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    Or warrant.

It appears he had an outstanding warrant for his arrest. If so, there's nothing unlawful about arresting a man on an outstanding warrant (attached). Also, the original two officers were bicycle cops. Small beat. Given his long rap sheet, one or both of them probably knew him, as well as the fact he was wanted.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	136-arrest-warrant-700 - Gray.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	12505
    But they did not arrest him for a warrant! Apparently if correct they did not know about it. Otherwise they would not have made up the switchblade claim. Plus Mosby has not mentioned anything about a warrant, and this is just coming up now! Sounds like the broken eye socket defense to me, and again IF there was actually a warrant that does not give them the privilege to abuse a prisoner.

As far as we know that warrant was served, and Freddie was released, it was a month prior. Do you have any status to the warrant? He had numerous arrests that claim can be made for, but apparently he was either free, on bond, or the cases had been disposed of.

I repeat, IF this was a valid warrant the police would have been screaming about it from the start, I am not buying the bridge.

So again I ask, since you claimed you would do what they did. Would you abuse Freddie, and cause his death without justification?

What is the internet address for the image you posted?
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 05-04-2015 at 01:25 PM.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

IF there was actually a warrant that does not give them the privilege to abuse a prisoner.
    "Abuse" is a presumption on your (and others') part that's not reflected in any of the videos. Whether Gray was hurt or faking it, we don't know. What we do know is that "The second prisoner loaded into the Baltimore police van carrying a shackled Freddie Gray claims "it was a smooth ride" and all he heard was a "little banging for about four seconds."" He said during a more recent interview, "When he first got into the vehicle he said it was so quiet that he didn't realize another person was inside. Gray was reportedly found unable to speak once they arrived at the police station. Allen said officers described him as not having a pulse. That calm description comes in stark contrast to a police report that was published by the Washington Post Wednesday."

As far as we know that warrant was served, and Freddie was released, it was a month prior. Do you have any status to the warrant? He had numerous arrests that claim can be made for, but apparently he was either free, on bond, or the cases had been disposed of.
    Fair enough. This raises the question, however, as to why he ran. The fact that he ran is material, as his response to the lawful presence of police precipitated the subsequent events. That doesn't excuse the use of any alleged excessive force on the part of the officers, but what of the rumors of a prior injury? Back in high school, I watched a game where a kid broke his neck, and wasn't even a hard hit. It was quite normal. Just a freak accident where everything lined up just right so that even slight pressure caused severe injury.

So again I ask, since you claimed you would do what they did. Would you abuse Freddie, and cause his death without justification?
    You're still presuming the police "abused Freddie, and caused his death without justification." That's an erroneous assumption, enormously so, and none of the facts support that assumption.

They don't contradict it, either. It merely remains one of the possibilities, all of which are equally plausible given the facts as we know them at this time:

1. The police used excessive force, breaking his spine. Subsequent damage caused either by the initial trauma itself or moving him without headboard and neck collar restraints resulted in the partial severing of his spinal cord, which lead to the cessation of his life signs and eventual death.

2. He injured himself in a prior accident (not the alleged 'car accident that has since been disproved) in such a way that left his susceptible to significantly increased risk of injury during the take down. I had such an experience.1

3. During the take down, his head and neck were wedged into the wall in such a way that it broke his spine, or combined with #2 to break his spine.

4. Whether or not he was legitimately injured prior to being mostly drug to the van, he may have caused or exacerbated his injury while in the van.

Until more evidence comes to light, all four of the above remain plausible explanations. Lacking further evidence, and during any trial requiring "beyond a reasonable doubt" conviction, there's no way to rationally convict any of the officers.

What we're still lacking are the timelines given in the dispatch transcripts. These would clearly show whether or not the officers made the appropriate calls for medical help, when they did so, as well as when the medics arrived and began treating the patient.

1In 1989, while doing pull-ups, I suffered a slipped disk. The only thing that set it off was the compound fact that I was in the middle of doing a pullup and my musculature at the time was balanced for competitive swimming, not doing pullups. The asymmetry literally pulled one vertebra right off the top of another, pinching my spine and causing me to momentarily lose all feeling or control below C-7. I let go, falling to the ground, at which point feeling/control returned. My vertebra remained seriously out of alignment (on X-ray -- ugly!) for several days until the swelling had diminished and they could maneuver my spine back into normal vertical alignment. I've been fine ever since, but the point is, I came with a few pounds of pressure of severing my own spine that day. It doesn't take nearly as much pressure as people think. I have had to be careful ever since, including making sure I engaged in appropriately symmetrical exercises over the years and avoiding situations where pressure might cause a repeat. In fact, there were a few moments of serious concern when my son jumped on my head/neck when he was ten months old, causing enough of a movement that everything again went numb for a second. I don't know exactly how much he weighed at that point. Eighteen pounds? Twenty? Imagine if a cop put 180 lbs of knee on my neck! One reason why I will always avoid any and all reasons a cop might ever have to engaging in that behavior. Short of strapping on, of course. Carry on! I don't flaunt it, though, for damned good reason.

What is the internet address for the image you posted?
    Here's the original source where I found the copy of his warrant. Looks like a screen shot.

In the meantime... Here's the arrest record for the incident in question. It clearly states the illegal knife he was purported to have been found on his person at the time of his arrest.
    Last edited by since9; 05-10-2015 at 09:24 PM.

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    If Dumbo and Lynch get their way, we will get a new chant.

"The Brownshirts are coming! The Brownshirts are coming!"
    Or will it be-----

"Never Fear for The Brownshirts are HERE!" over and over.
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"