Thread: Flying to Wyoming, What to do with my pistol

Flying to Wyoming, What to do with my pistol

I'm flying to Wyoming this weekend and I want to take my pistol with me. I will be flying out of Raleigh/Durham, NC going to Salt Lake City with a hour layover in Chicago. Coming back I have a layover at Baltimore/Washington, DC airport. I'm going to be on Southwest Airlines all the time. Will it be safe to take a firearm with the layovers? Thanks for any help y'all, this is my first having to fly. Our Virginia permits are good in Utah and Wyoming aren't they?

Be sure to check with the airline you are flying with to confirm their rules for flying with a firearm.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informat...and-ammunition

http://vcdl.org/chp

If there was a problem in one of the anti firearm locations (your layover stops) I would make sure the airline maintained control of the luggage containing the firearm as to avoid any possible criminal charges.

Personally, I would prefer to ship my firearm/s via UPS/FedEx next day service to the address I was staying at.
    Most/many hotels allow this service for newly arriving guest, and well family is family.

https://www.atf.gov/content/firearms...rms-additional
    Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.
    Last edited by Marco; 04-23-2015 at 02:39 PM.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Be sure to check with the airline you are flying with to confirm their rules for flying with a firearm.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informat...and-ammunition

http://vcdl.org/chp

If their was a problem in one of the anti firearm locations (your lay over stops) I would make sure the airline maintained control of the luggage containing the firearm as to avoid any possible criminal charges.

Personally, I would prefer to ship my firearm/s via UPS/FedEx next day service to the address I was staying at.
    Most/many hotels allow this service for newly arriving guest, and well family is family.

https://www.atf.gov/content/firearms...rms-additional
    Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.
    Very good suggestion.

Of course that leaves him w/o the means of self-defense between home and the out of state airport when leaving. Returning is another matter still.

Seems to me that there is no fail safe/perfect solution.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Very good suggestion.

Of course that leaves him w/o the means of self-defense between home and the out of state airport when leaving. Returning is another matter still.

Seems to me that there is no fail safe/perfect solution.

It would depend on how they got to and from the airport.
    Some folks might have a friend/s (armed) that are willing to take them and pick them up, some have no problem leaving a secured firearm in their secured vehicle.

A firearm isn't the only means of self defense (often the best choice), one usually has other options.

There are rarely perfect solutions.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Quote Originally Posted by ChadW View Post
    I'm flying to Wyoming this weekend and I want to take my pistol with me. I will be flying out of Raleigh/Durham, NC going to Salt Lake City with a hour layover in Chicago. Coming back I have a layover at Baltimore/Washington, DC airport. I'm going to be on Southwest Airlines all the time. Will it be safe to take a firearm with the layovers? Thanks for any help y'all, this is my first having to fly. Our Virginia permits are good in Utah and Wyoming aren't they?
    Check reciprocity here: http://www.handgunlaw.us/

For purposes of FOPA it sounds like you are making a journey from NC to UT, and the a journey from UT to WY, and a final journey from WY to NC. Generally it appears FOPA covers you.

Why are you even considering claiming, and then rechecking, your baggage during layovers? Or are you just worried that the plane stopping in a non-permissive state can land you in hot water?

To avoid all problems check your bag with the pistol through from departure airport to destination airport, and even if forced to change planes or lay over overnight, let the airline handle that bag and get it to its proper destination. Besides avoiding FOPA complications it gives you better insurance coverage by avoiding having to rebutt a claim that you removed an item during a layover/plane change. It's also why you have carry-on that has everything you will need to survive 24 hours in relative comfort. (Pro tip - a screwdriver is allowed in carry-on. If questioned, you need it to deal with equipment on your arrival.)

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Scissors with 4" blades are also allowed in the carry-on.