Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone know the average time differntial between cc vs oc when drawing

Does anyone know the average time differntial between cc vs oc when drawing

I haven't found anything yet.

It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Easily learned with a shot timer. They even have that app on phones now, you don't need to spend $100 or more for the gadgets themselves any more.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    +1
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

Buncha folks as helpful as the proverbial rubber crutch, aint they?

My mind, filled with trivia to the point that no actual facts can be squeezed in, says it is somewhere in the 0.5-0.75 second mark.

May not sound like much, but allow me to note that it is the time it takes between when your eye sees the other guy's draw begin and when your body begins to react. In other words, all things being equal the CCer is going to get shot first even if both had the same start signal.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Devil is in the details. How are you CC? With my sports coat on and a bit of weight in the strong side pocket, probably pretty much insignificant. Deep CC with a shirt tucked over the sidearm, probably noticeably slower to an observer. And there are a bunch of shades in between. Not to mention holster difference, if any. On top of that are all the individual differences, experience, practice, etc.

I just don't think any average time one would find for someone else means diddly-squat to you, the individual on that day, with that holster, carrying in that way, whatever those variables may be.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

There are a lot of variables for me personally My fastest when I was shooting a lot out of a thumb break open carry holster was right around .7 of a second timed.

Depending on the type of holster and concealment 1.5 seconds was the avg.

We would get most of our recruits to get their first shot of on target at five yards out of security holsters under 1.5 some were faster some slower.

Out of my Blackhawk and my Glock in the open around 1.25 throw a coat over it add 3/4 of a second to that.

But so much depends on the stimulus for drawing, how prepared you are, what holster, firearm, what one is wearing and how much practice you have been doing..
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

AFTER I've practiced for a while, I can draw from a IWB holster under an UN-TUCKED shirt and fire two rounds onto the black bullseye at 25 feet in 8/10 of a second. The bullseye is 6 inches roughly.
    With the shirt TUCKED in, you add close to ONE second (so 1.8 seconds).
    I would presume OC would be faster then the IWB UN-TUCKED shirt.
    practice, practice practice is what I say.
    practice drawing and firing with snap caps.
    hold the autoloader in front of your face and keep the "target" in sight and dump and load the NEW magazine (with another snap cap) into it. Jack the slide!
    now dry fire again.
    I put the loaded ammo in a DIFFERENT room while doing this. Just to be SURE!!

Thank you Cava, that is the kind of information I was looking for. I am surprised of the lack of comparisons under controlled conditions to point this out. There are mega studies of reaction time while driving under the influence of alcohol. Hey, there is another study altogether, drawing time, accuracy, and justified shooting under the influence of alcohol.
    Last edited by wisardd1; 04-23-2015 at 11:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Buncha folks as helpful as the proverbial rubber crutch, aint they?

My mind, filled with trivia to the point that no actual facts can be squeezed in, says it is somewhere in the 0.5-0.75 second mark.

May not sound like much, but allow me to note that it is the time it takes between when your eye sees the other guy's draw begin and when your body begins to react. In other words, all things being equal the CCer is going to get shot first even if both had the same start signal.

stay safe.
    That sounds in the ball park.

From a "Go" or a buzzer, the fastest I've consistently been able to draw and fire from OC is about 0.5 seconds. Regardless of concealed rig, that extends to a whopping 1.5 to 2.0 seconds. Call it 1.75 seconds on average. Then again, I don't have nearly as much practice CC draw and fire practice as I do OC. Give the fact that practice cut half a second off my time with OC, it's reasonable to predict it would cut at least the same from a CC rig.

So, with practice:

OC: 0.5 seconds buzzer to bang
    CC: 1.25 seconds buzzer to bang

Difference: 0.75 seconds, at the high side of your range.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Ohhh come on! G21 gave us his wisdom that he can draw faster from conceal than open. How is it you guys can't.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

The real difference in draw time is the difference between living and dying. All the fastest draws in competition are doing it from an open carry holster.

Ohhh come on! G21 gave us his wisdom that he can draw faster from conceal than open. How is it you guys can't.
    You might have a point.

Quote Originally Posted by wisardd1 View Post
    Thank you Cava, that is the kind of information I was looking for. I am surprised of the lack of comparisons under controlled conditions to point this out. There are mega studies of reaction time while driving under the influence of alcohol. Hey, there is another study altogether, drawing time, accuracy, and justified shooting under the influence of alcohol.
    the problem is that your question (average time differential) has just too many variables to answer. So there's no way to single out the variables of OC vs. CC. One would have to pull together a VERY LARGE group of gun carriers, put them all into a similar style of dress, with a similar holster type, and similar gun type. Plus, all the concealed carriers would have to conceal in the same way (strong side, cross-draw, shoulder, 3-o'clock vs. 4:30, etc.). Then, the group would have to gather on a specific day (to keep temperature, humidity and weather constant, since that affects some people's joints), and do all the drawing/measuring.

Quote Originally Posted by deepdiver View Post
    Devil is in the details. How are you CC? With my sports coat on and a bit of weight in the strong side pocket, probably pretty much insignificant. Deep CC with a shirt tucked over the sidearm, probably noticeably slower to an observer. And there are a bunch of shades in between. Not to mention holster difference, if any. On top of that are all the individual differences, experience, practice, etc.

I just don't think any average time one would find for someone else means diddly-squat to you, the individual on that day, with that holster, carrying in that way, whatever those variables may be.
    Exactly. The best you can find is the average of one or two people, but the only measurement difference that should matter is yours. Now, I will admit that I haven't thought about timing myself in this manner yet - but will now, thanks to this thread.

The time difference could be huge between the time the BG realizes you are armed and you can bring the gun to bear on him.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Buddy of mine made the claim he can draw just as fast from conceal as OC. So I challenged him, I am not the worlds fastest draw not even close, yet guess who beat who.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Banned
    ewll i have video, with a shot timer, of my draw. ill post it when you decide you wanna post yours. otherwise youre just a keyboard commando

Quote Originally Posted by g21sfpistol View Post
    ewll i have video, with a shot timer, of my draw. ill post it when you decide you wanna post yours. otherwise youre just a keyboard commando
    I'm calling bs.

No offense. You can't call someone a keyboard commando then not post your own.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by J_dazzle23 View Post
    I'm calling bs.

No offense. You can't call someone a keyboard commando then not post your own.
    all the crap he has talked on other posts I'm not going to post first, because i don't trust he will post one to begin with.

You know how this works by now, YOU MADE THE CLAIM, YOU PROVIDE THE CITATION. Otherwise you just made it up, not really a keyboard commando, just a person who tells stories that are not true.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 04-25-2015 at 10:06 AM.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

all the crap he has talked on other posts I'm not going to post first, because i don't trust he will post one to begin with.
    Because you don't have the proof is why, any other time you do not mind posting insults and garbage on open carry. What's the matter, don't like the reputation you tried so hard to build?
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Founder's Club Member
    Wait! Did someone really just call Walking Wolf a keyboard commando?

I think he just destroyed whatever credibility he had.

Oh, my. Talk about self-inflicted wounds.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

You know how this works by now, YOU MADE THE CLAIM, YOU PROVIDE THE CITATION. Otherwise you just made it up, not really a keyboard commando, just a person who tells stories that are not true.
    I agree he needs to post the video come on g21sfpistol lets see it.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

I'm calling BS. He doesn't have it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast