• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does anyone know the average time differntial between cc vs oc when drawing

Brian D.

Easily learned with a shot timer. They even have that app on phones now, you don't need to spend $100 or more for the gadgets themselves any more.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Buncha folks as helpful as the proverbial rubber crutch, aint they?

My mind, filled with trivia to the point that no actual facts can be squeezed in, says it is somewhere in the 0.5-0.75 second mark.

May not sound like much, but allow me to note that it is the time it takes between when your eye sees the other guy's draw begin and when your body begins to react. In other words, all things being equal the CCer is going to get shot first even if both had the same start signal.

stay safe.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
Devil is in the details. How are you CC? With my sports coat on and a bit of weight in the strong side pocket, probably pretty much insignificant. Deep CC with a shirt tucked over the sidearm, probably noticeably slower to an observer. And there are a bunch of shades in between. Not to mention holster difference, if any. On top of that are all the individual differences, experience, practice, etc.

I just don't think any average time one would find for someone else means diddly-squat to you, the individual on that day, with that holster, carrying in that way, whatever those variables may be.

Firearms Iinstuctor

There are a lot of variables for me personally My fastest when I was shooting a lot out of a thumb break open carry holster was right around .7 of a second timed.

Depending on the type of holster and concealment 1.5 seconds was the avg.

We would get most of our recruits to get their first shot of on target at five yards out of security holsters under 1.5 some were faster some slower.

Out of my Blackhawk and my Glock in the open around 1.25 throw a coat over it add 3/4 of a second to that.

But so much depends on the stimulus for drawing, how prepared you are, what holster, firearm, what one is wearing and how much practice you have been doing..

Cava3r4

AFTER I've practiced for a while, I can draw from a IWB holster under an UN-TUCKED shirt and fire two rounds onto the black bullseye at 25 feet in 8/10 of a second. The bullseye is 6 inches roughly.
With the shirt TUCKED in, you add close to ONE second (so 1.8 seconds).
I would presume OC would be faster then the IWB UN-TUCKED shirt.
practice, practice practice is what I say.
practice drawing and firing with snap caps.
hold the autoloader in front of your face and keep the "target" in sight and dump and load the NEW magazine (with another snap cap) into it. Jack the slide!
now dry fire again.
I put the loaded ammo in a DIFFERENT room while doing this. Just to be SURE!!

wisardd1

Thank you Cava, that is the kind of information I was looking for. I am surprised of the lack of comparisons under controlled conditions to point this out. There are mega studies of reaction time while driving under the influence of alcohol. Hey, there is another study altogether, drawing time, accuracy, and justified shooting under the influence of alcohol.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
Buncha folks as helpful as the proverbial rubber crutch, aint they?

My mind, filled with trivia to the point that no actual facts can be squeezed in, says it is somewhere in the 0.5-0.75 second mark.

May not sound like much, but allow me to note that it is the time it takes between when your eye sees the other guy's draw begin and when your body begins to react. In other words, all things being equal the CCer is going to get shot first even if both had the same start signal.

stay safe.

That sounds in the ball park.

From a "Go" or a buzzer, the fastest I've consistently been able to draw and fire from OC is about 0.5 seconds. Regardless of concealed rig, that extends to a whopping 1.5 to 2.0 seconds. Call it 1.75 seconds on average. Then again, I don't have nearly as much practice CC draw and fire practice as I do OC. Give the fact that practice cut half a second off my time with OC, it's reasonable to predict it would cut at least the same from a CC rig.

So, with practice:

OC: 0.5 seconds buzzer to bang
CC: 1.25 seconds buzzer to bang

Difference: 0.75 seconds, at the high side of your range.

OC Freedom

The real difference in draw time is the difference between living and dying. All the fastest draws in competition are doing it from an open carry holster.

jackrockblc

Thank you Cava, that is the kind of information I was looking for. I am surprised of the lack of comparisons under controlled conditions to point this out. There are mega studies of reaction time while driving under the influence of alcohol. Hey, there is another study altogether, drawing time, accuracy, and justified shooting under the influence of alcohol.

the problem is that your question (average time differential) has just too many variables to answer. So there's no way to single out the variables of OC vs. CC. One would have to pull together a VERY LARGE group of gun carriers, put them all into a similar style of dress, with a similar holster type, and similar gun type. Plus, all the concealed carriers would have to conceal in the same way (strong side, cross-draw, shoulder, 3-o'clock vs. 4:30, etc.). Then, the group would have to gather on a specific day (to keep temperature, humidity and weather constant, since that affects some people's joints), and do all the drawing/measuring.

Devil is in the details. How are you CC? With my sports coat on and a bit of weight in the strong side pocket, probably pretty much insignificant. Deep CC with a shirt tucked over the sidearm, probably noticeably slower to an observer. And there are a bunch of shades in between. Not to mention holster difference, if any. On top of that are all the individual differences, experience, practice, etc.

I just don't think any average time one would find for someone else means diddly-squat to you, the individual on that day, with that holster, carrying in that way, whatever those variables may be.

Exactly. The best you can find is the average of one or two people, but the only measurement difference that should matter is yours. Now, I will admit that I haven't thought about timing myself in this manner yet - but will now, thanks to this thread.

XD40sc

The time difference could be huge between the time the BG realizes you are armed and you can bring the gun to bear on him.

sudden valley gunner

Buddy of mine made the claim he can draw just as fast from conceal as OC. So I challenged him, I am not the worlds fastest draw not even close, yet guess who beat who.

g21sfpistol

Banned
Ohhh come on! G21 gave us his wisdom that he can draw faster from conceal than open. How is it you guys can't.:eek:

ewll i have video, with a shot timer, of my draw. ill post it when you decide you wanna post yours. otherwise youre just a keyboard commando

J_dazzle23

ewll i have video, with a shot timer, of my draw. ill post it when you decide you wanna post yours. otherwise youre just a keyboard commando
I'm calling bs.

No offense. You can't call someone a keyboard commando then not post your own.

WalkingWolf

You know how this works by now, YOU MADE THE CLAIM, YOU PROVIDE THE CITATION. Otherwise you just made it up, not really a keyboard commando, just a person who tells stories that are not true.

Last edited: