Thread: Open Carry into a public facility

Open Carry into a public facility

My question is regarding public buildings and firearms. Should public buildings like a library have signs posted on the public entrances informing patrons that no weapons are allowed inside?

I ask because I was recently cited for that exact thing, when addressed by staff and shown the rules hanging in an inconspicuous spot, that is no visible from the entrance, I apologized and took the handgun to my car and came back inside and kept browsing (should have just left). After checking my books out I left, drove about a mile away where I was pulled over at gunpoint, removed of my gun while inside the car, and then cited for prohibited weapons in a public facility. They returned my firearm under their commanders approval.

Does anyone have any insight into a situation like this?

Also, this was in Colorado where open carry is legal, I should have mentioned that.

"Which state?" is a pretty important part of the answer.
    You might repost or ask this to be moved to the Colorado sub-forum where it would get more correct answers.

It would also be very helpful to know the which Colorado Revised Statute number you allegedly violated, it should be printed on the citation. If not, then the 'long title' of exactly which CRS.

... and... it wasn't in Denver, by any chance, was it?

BTW, it's entirely possible that the officers put down an incorrect CRS number, knowing it was false, in the hopes of discouraging you. They won't suffer in any way for doing so as it will be a 'legitimate mistake' and they were 'operating in good faith'. See if the county solicitor/prosecutor doesn't request to have the charges dropped before trial
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 04-23-2015 at 06:42 PM.

Yes it is in Colorado, sorry I'm fairly new to this app. I have posted in a Colorado gun owners forum as well, but did not see a Colorado open carry sub forum.

Was cited with a municipal code 6-4-160(A)

Littleton,CO. The code refers to the unlawful carrying of weapons when signs are posted.

Would it be in my best interest to contact the prosecutor or just have the attorney I am going to hire to do that in my interest?

Don't hire an attorney until you find out if you're going to be charged, although most will give you one free consultation.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...mption-signage

discussed here... am reading it myself, att.

Replying to your thread on the COGO forums, since you have more details there.