Thread: Nevada concealed carry Reciprocity change

Nevada concealed carry Reciprocity change

The last I heard the Nevada Senate passed bill 175 on March 25 and that the bill would recognize more permits from other states.

Does anyone know what's happening with this bill proposal?

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Session/7..._SB175_136.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nevada concealed carry Reciprocity change

Quote Originally Posted by Lephi View Post
    Not being from Nevada, I could be way off on my understanding of how things were done before this bill become law, the way I understand it was the sheriffs association in Nevada had great influence on the reciprocity agreements with other states. It appears this bill (if passed into law) places sole control in the hands of the Nevada Department of Public Safety.

I'm I correct in my understanding? Thanks for any input.
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 04-24-2015 at 05:57 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

SB-175 passed the Senate and is currently in the Assembly Judiciary Committee.

https://www.leg.state.nv.us/App/NELI.../1548/Overview

Thanks varminter22 - so is it a change for the good or simply substituting one cluster bleep for another ?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by varminter22 View Post
    SB-175 passed the Senate and is currently in the Assembly Judiciary Committee.

https://www.leg.state.nv.us/App/NELI.../1548/Overview
    Yup it was before the committee yesterday morning and all looked good with it as far as testimony goes. Nobody seemed concerned about CC blue card and in fact the CC Sheriff is for doing away with it. So is the Sheriff and Chiefs association and the NHP. The big stumbling block with the Democrats as I saw it was with the part that holds City and County governments liable to litigation for not following State preemption.

I got a good feeling about it watching the proceedings. You never can say for sure though until the votes are counted.

There was also some concern about how the reciprocity would work but I'm hoping it was explained well enough. It sounds to me like the S&C Association would like to wash it's hands of it maybe thanks to one of our own, Don't Tread On Me.

A big thumbs up to another one of our own, Merlin, who went up and testified before the committee, good job.

TBG
    Last edited by The Big Guy; 04-24-2015 at 06:11 PM.
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

I'm still trying to get data on the blue card program out of Metro to submit as evidence. Been 2 months now and supposedly I get answers next week...
    Nevada Carry and Frontier Carry

Helpful guide to gun laws in the Intermountain West

Your official inquiries might be a good thing. They know the program is disappearing this year with a new state law, and they are probably stalling to render your inquiry moot. But it might make them "officially" destroy their records sooner than they might have eventually not gotten around to it.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Thanks for all the info and responses.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Thanks varminter22 - so is it a change for the good or simply substituting one cluster bleep for another ?
    Its still a good bill - a change for the good.

And I agree that the domestic violence thing is not good (even though it simply mirrors federal law.) As I pointed out in my SFA letter in support of the original version of SB-175, "While we abhor domestic violence we do not believe a misdemeanor warrants the loss of rights." I suspect this was inserted as a sweetener - to entice a couple of Democrat votes (which would not be necessary if our Republicans and RINOs would come together, but THAT is another big topic.)

Minutes of the hearings on SB-175 are not yet available, but the exhibits for the hearings are here: https://www.leg.state.nv.us/App/NELI.../1548/Exhibits

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Not being from Nevada, I could be way off on my understanding of how things were done before this bill become law, the way I understand it was the sheriffs association in Nevada had great influence on the reciprocity agreements with other states. It appears this bill (if passed into law) places sole control in the hands of the Nevada Department of Public Safety.

I'm I correct in my understanding? Thanks for any input.
    NV does not have 'reciprocity.' NV has 'recognition.'

The recognition isn't an agreement with another state, it is a (sometimes seemingly arbitrary) determination by the DPS (actually by the NVSCA) as to whether another state's CC training requirements are substantially similar to that of NV. Those get recognized. Others do not.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Ugh. Free in AZ was right as well, While Nevada may not have a reciprocity program set up, the fact is if Nevada "recognizes" a state and the state reciprocates... Reciprocity exists. It is just not initiated by Nevada intentionally. It is still in many cases initiated solely by recognition, depending on the other states Rec. agreement.
    Last edited by DON`T TREAD ON ME; 04-27-2015 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DON`T TREAD ON ME View Post
    Ugh. Free in AZ was right as well, While Nevada may not have a reciprocity program set up, the fact is if Nevada "recognizes" a state and the state reciprocates... Reciprocity exists. It is just not initiated by Nevada intentionally. It is still in many cases initiated solely by recognition, depending on the other states Rec. agreement.
    AFAIK, the other state does not 'reciprocate.'

NV either recognizes others or not. There is not 'reciprocation' inherent in that at all. What other states do is on their own.
    Last edited by wrightme; 04-27-2015 at 05:25 PM.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by wrightme View Post
    afaik, the other state does not 'reciprocate.'

nv either recognizes others or not. There is not 'reciprocation' inherent in that at all. What other states do is on their own.
    lol!

Its largely a matter of semantics. "Reciprocity" generally infers, "you honor mine and I'll honor your's."

It is true Nevada does NOT have reciprocity in that sense. Nevada does not enter into agreements with other states. Some states will honor another state's permit only if said state honors their's. Nevada is not like that.

It is true Nevada has a system in place wherein Nevada may honor other state's permits - if certain criteria are met.

On the state level, Nevada cares not if another state honors our permits.
    Last edited by varminter22; 04-28-2015 at 09:28 AM.

We have "reciprocity" with many states in the practical sense, not in the legal agreement sense. Indeed, we may soon eliminate much of the demand for a UT permit if Nevada's bill becomes law that recognizes all states' permits. More states will then recognize ours.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    We have "reciprocity" with many states in the practical sense, not in the legal agreement sense. Indeed, we may soon eliminate much of the demand for a UT permit if Nevada's bill becomes law that recognizes all states' permits. More states will then recognize ours.
    SB-175 was amended. It no longer states Nevada would honor all other states' permits.

See the amended SB-175 (R1): http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Session/7...ory.cfm?ID=399
    60 Existing law requires the Department to annually prepare a list of states which
    61 it determines are substantially similar to or more stringent than this State for
    62 purposes of issuing a permit to carry a concealed firearm. (NRS 202.3689) Section
    63 4.5 of this bill instead requires the Department to determine whether each state
    64 requires a person to complete any training, class or program for purposes of
    65 preparing the list.
    As amended: Senate Final Passage (1st Reprint) Mar 23, 2015: Yea 14, Nay 5, Excused 2, Not Voting 0, Absent 0

SB-175 (R1) is now in the Assembly, referred to the Assembly Judiciary Committee:
    Ira Hansen, Chair
    Erven Nelson, Vice Chair

Ira.Hansen@asm.state.nv.us; Erven.Nelson@asm.state.nv.us; Michele.Fiore@asm.state.nv.us; David.Gardner@asm.state.nv.us; Brent.Jones@asm.state.nv.us; PK.Oneill@asm.state.nv.us; Victoria.Seaman@asm.state.nv.us; Glenn.Trowbridge@asm.state.nv.us; Elliot.Anderson@asm.state.nv.us; Nelson.Araujo@asm.state.nv.us; Olivia.Diaz@asm.state.nv.us; James.Ohrenschall@asm.state.nv.us; Tyrone.Thompson@asm.state.nv.us

More info here: http://www.nevadashooters.com/showthread.php?t=60079
    Last edited by varminter22; 04-28-2015 at 01:21 PM.

How do these bills get so watered down? I ASSume from the votes that most of the so called friendly repubs voted for it. So if they had a majority who changed it?

I speculate at least one or two RINOs succumbed to NSCA pressure.

What scumbags the NSCA are. What is wrong with this state where politicians have no backbone whatsoever?
    Nevada Carry and Frontier Carry

Helpful guide to gun laws in the Intermountain West

I cannot disagree. And I cannot explain why so many legislators put so much credence in the NSCA.

I can say this: Historically, most individual sheriffs have been fairly good. (Obviously, the former Clark and Washoe County sheriffs were horrible.) And I think the record will show "what a difference an election makes" because I think we have even more good sheriffs since the last election; the NSCA as a group hasn't been as anti as they have been in the past. Getting rid of former Washoe County Sheriff Haley and former Clark County Sheriff Gillespie helped! And having a Republican (even if many are RINOs) majority helped.

Still, we have plenty of room for improvement!

I know many will complain of the RINOs - and I AGREE! But imagine what this session would be like with a Democrat majority as in the past. From past experience, I can safely say we would be no where near where we are now in this session.

Quote Originally Posted by varminter22 View Post
    I cannot disagree. And I cannot explain why so many legislators put so much credence in the NSCA.

Govern, means control. There is not one miniscule shred of the meaning that implies more freedom. To expect more freedom from those tasked to control us (through force if necessary) Is preposterous.
    We here taught that the 3 separate branches of government were assembled to ensure a just and equal system. Is it just a coincidence that 3 shells are utilized in a game of shells?

If I task Mac with fixing my air conditioner, would I be shocked to come home to a nice cool house? We task control freaks with the duty of controlling us, (force when "required.") Why is it we are shocked dismayed and surprised when they utilize whatever means (in this case the NSCA) to accomplish their goal?