Thread: SC House passes Constitutional Carry

SC House passes Constitutional Carry

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Open carry would still be illegal?

The Senate won't pass it, SC's senate situation is usually similar to Florida's.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    Open carry would still be illegal? he Senate won't pass it, SC's senate situation is usually similar to Florida's.
    It's an amendment to H 3799 recognizing Georgia CWP in SC. I've been away long enough to not remember the rules on germaine-ness.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    It's an amendment to H 3799 recognizing Georgia CWP in SC. I've been away long enough to not remember the rules on germaine-ness.
    What's the bill #?

This says OC would still be illegal so it's certainly NOT constitutional carry.

http://www.postandcourier.com/articl...nd-carry-in-sc
    Last edited by 77zach; 04-25-2015 at 06:03 PM.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/sess121_...bills/3799.htm

This web page was last updated on Thursday, April 23, 2015 at 7:32 PM

South Carolina General Assembly
    121st Session, 2015-2016

Download This Bill in Microsoft Word format

Indicates Matter Stricken
    Indicates New Matter

H. 3799

STATUS INFORMATION

General Bill
    Sponsors: Reps. Hixon, Simrill, Taylor, Loftis, Burns, Brannon, Spires, Yow, Clemmons, Riley, Corley, Collins, Clary, Hosey, Clyburn, King, Hicks, Knight, Bradley, Jefferson, Kirby, Huggins, Duckworth, Kennedy, Hamilton, Hardee, Johnson, Murphy, Felder, Alexander, Atwater, Ballentine, Bedingfield, Bowers, Cobb-Hunter, Daning, Delleney, Dillard, Forrester, Funderburk, Gagnon, Gambrell, Hiott, Howard, Lowe, W.J. McLeod, V.S. Moss, Nanney, Norman, Ott, Pitts, Pope, Ridgeway, Ryhal, G.R. Smith, Tallon, Thayer, Toole, Weeks, Wells, White, Willis, Chumley and Rivers
    Document Path: l:\council\bills\swb\5254cm15.docx

Introduced in the House on March 5, 2015
    Currently residing in the House

Summary: Concealed weapons permit

HISTORY OF LEGISLATIVE ACTIONS

Date Body Action Description with journal page number
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    3/5/2015 House Introduced and read first time (House Journal-page 39)
    3/5/2015 House Referred to Committee on Judiciary
    (House Journal-page 39)
    4/22/2015 House Member(s) request name added as sponsor: Chumley
    4/22/2015 House Committee report: Favorable Judiciary
    (House Journal-page 9)
    4/23/2015 House Member(s) request name added as sponsor: Rivers

View the latest legislative information at the website

VERSIONS OF THIS BILL

3/5/2015
    4/22/2015
    4/23/2015

(Text matches printed bills. Document has been reformatted to meet World Wide Web specifications.)

Indicates Matter Stricken

Indicates New Matter

COMMITTEE REPORT

April 22, 2015

H. 3799

Introduced by Reps. Hixon, Simrill, Taylor, Loftis, Burns, Brannon, Spires, Yow, Clemmons, Riley, Corley, Collins, Clary, Hosey, Clyburn, King, Hicks, Knight, Bradley, Jefferson, Kirby, Huggins, Duckworth, Kennedy, Hamilton, Hardee, Johnson, Murphy, Felder, Alexander, Atwater, Ballentine, Bedingfield, Bowers, Cobb-Hunter, Daning, Delleney, Dillard, Forrester, Funderburk, Gagnon, Gambrell, Hiott, Howard, Lowe, W.J. McLeod, V.S. Moss, Nanney, Norman, Ott, Pitts, Pope, Ridgeway, Ryhal, G.R. Smith, Tallon, Thayer, Toole, Weeks, Wells, White, Willis and Chumley

S. Printed 4/22/15--H. [SEC 4/23/15 7:32 PM]

Read the first time March 5, 2015.

THE COMMITTEE ON JUDICIARY

To whom was referred a Bill (H. 3799) to amend Section 23-31-215, as amended, Code of Laws of South Carolina, relating to the issuance of concealed weapon permits, so as to provide that, etc., respectfully

REPORT:

That they have duly and carefully considered the same and recommend that the same do pass:

F. GREGORY DELLENEY, JR. for Committee.

A BILL

TO AMEND SECTION 23-31-215, AS AMENDED, CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, RELATING TO THE ISSUANCE OF CONCEALED WEAPON PERMITS, SO AS TO PROVIDE THAT SOUTH CAROLINA SHALL RECOGNIZE CONCEALED WEAPON PERMITS ISSUED BY GEORGIA AND NORTH CAROLINA UNDER CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES.

Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:

SECTION 1. Section 23-31-215(N) of the 1976 Code, as last amended by Act 349 of 2008, is further amended to read:

"(N)(1) Valid out-of-state permits to carry concealable weapons held by a resident of a reciprocal state must be honored by this State, provided, that the reciprocal state requires an applicant to successfully pass a criminal background check and a course in firearm training and safety. A resident of a reciprocal state carrying a concealable weapon in South Carolina is subject to and must abide by the laws of South Carolina regarding concealable weapons. SLED shall maintain and publish a list of those states as the states with which South Carolina has reciprocity.

(2) Notwithstanding the reciprocity requirements of subitem (1), South Carolina shall automatically recognize concealed weapon permits issued by Georgia and North Carolina.

(3) The reciprocity provisions of this section shall not be construed to authorize the holder of any out-of-state permit or license to carry, in this State, any firearm or weapon other than a handgun."

SECTION 2. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.

----XX----

This web page was last updated on Thursday, April 23, 2015 at 7:32 PM

The problem is getting out of committee in the Senate, which I have my doubts about Senator Larry Martin. He is offended by open carry,"You can carry a weapon openly if this bill is adopted and I'm offended by that," said committee chair Sen. Larry Martin (R-Pickens). The question is he offended by permit less carry, the people of SC need to get him voted out of office.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/sess121_...bills/3025.htm

HB 3025. Open carry is still illegal. Wow, keep the right in the closet. Crazy how anti gun this is.

HB 3025. Open carry is still illegal. Wow, keep the right in the closet. Crazy how anti gun this is.
    Welcome to SC.
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

If it's only the Senate judiciary committee chair that is the problem I hope to see this amended back to full constitutional carry after it gets passed him. I doubt either will happen though.

Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    Welcome to SC.
    Yeah all it really does is make conceal carry optional to get a permit or not.
    Which as "RINO" Larry Martin has said "He doesn't see the need to change the permit system."

Obviously he's going to block this or make sure it dies in the Senate.

I really really miss Arizona...

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nightstryke View Post
    Yeah all it really does is make conceal carry optional to get a permit or not.Which as "RINO" Larry Martin has said "He doesn't see the need to change the permit system."Obviously he's going to block this or make sure it dies in the Senate.I really really miss Arizona...
    RINO? That is the R party.....
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Well the Senate "Judiciary Sub-Committee" didn't do a damn thing, big shocker there.

Instead of working on H.3025 or anything on thursday they ducked out early to go golf or whatever it is corrupt politicians do.

So H.3025 is dead.
    Last edited by nightstryke; 05-30-2015 at 08:57 PM.

Do you know why the game is called 'golf'? 'Cause all the other four letter words were already used. Do you know what the game is called in Japanese? It's 'golf', because all the other Japanese four letter words were already used. Hai! Wakarimasu.

Quote Originally Posted by nightstryke View Post
    Well the Senate "Judiciary Sub-Committee" didn't do a damn thing, big shocker there.

Instead of working on H.3025 or anything on thursday they ducked out early to go golf or whatever it is corrupt politicians do.

So H.3025 is dead.
    At what point do these particular individuals holding up gun bills in SC get removed from office?

Quote Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
    At what point do these particular individuals holding up gun bills in SC get removed from office?
    When the P4P business, its assiliate, and members hegemony is broken. Follow the money.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 06-13-2015 at 07:35 AM. Reason: spielg