• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bad Arlington LEO Encounter

Repeater

I have never heard of this: Investigative Detention because a citizen wearing a vest could be mistaken for tactical gear?

Virginia Cop Detains Washington D.C. Television News Videographer, Fearing Camera Vest Could be Tactical Gear
A Virginia police officer detained a television news videographer Tuesday because his camera vest could have been tactical gear.

The incident was captured on cell phone video by veteran investigator reporter Russ Ptacek from WUSA9, who posted it on Twitter along with photos of the detainment. The video is posted below.

The cop was from the Arlington County Police Department, part of the Washington D.C. metropolitan area.

Apparently, the County is refusing to release the LEO's name.

620x330xWUSA-620x330.jpg.pagespeed.ic.-ODUtv5RVz.jpg

[size=+3]Hands up -- Please don't shoot?[/size]

WUSA9 has more:

Police order WUSA9 photographer to stop recording
How does the government balance security with the First Amendment? Not very well, according to our test attempting to shoot video from public spaces of government buildings.

But this is what's discouraging:
On my Facebook page, many are siding with the officer, saying security should be given higher consideration than the Constitution.

The Sheeple speak!

Repeater

Larger photo

620x330xWUSA-620x330.jpg.pagespeed.ic.-ODUtv5RVz.jpg

[size=+3]Hands Up -- Please Don't Shoot?[/size]

Take a good look -- does he seem like a threat to you?

And how many of you are vested? Especially during hunting season?

Oh, and look closely -- doesn't it seem like Officer Friendly is using his hand to obscure his name tag?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
This smells to high heaven. VA's lakes and streams teem with "tactical" vests during fishing season.

Something else is going on.

Last edited:

HPmatt

He sure looked threatened - had that right hand clutching his name tag in fear...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Notice his accent. He's not from Virginia... rather from either New York City or the Boston area. This has been happening more frequently in the Northern Virginia area, according to what one police officer with whom I spoke told me. He told me that there is active recruiting of people from up north to LEO positions down here. This could be a problem since those northerners are not well versed in Virginia culture and tradition.

Last edited:

HPmatt

Gonna get a lot more cops from Baltimore next week....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OC for ME

Notice his accent. He's not from Virginia... rather from either New York City or the Boston area. This has been happening more frequently in the Northern Virginia area, according to what one police officer with whom I spoke told me. He told me that there is active recruiting of people from up north to LEO positions down here. This could be a problem since those northerners are not well versed in Virginia culture and tradition.
...how about Virginia law?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Never go north of the Ni..Never go north of the Ni..Never go north of the Ni..Never go north of the Ni..Never go north of the Ni.

Repeater

Good to know. Thanks. :)

Well ... bad to know. :(

Well, you know what I mean.

markand

I would opine that its far worse than "not well versed in Virginia culture and tradition." Its more like their worldview with regard to freedom in general and firearms in particular is 180 degrees opposed to ours. And they have the power and general immunity to inflict that worldview on the rest of us. Don't misunderstand, this isn't an anti-police rant, but an observation about a subset of individuals who demonstrate behavior problematic to our freedom.

countryclubjoe

I don't know what's going on and Arlington isn't talking. Here's the video:
https://twitter.com/russptacek/status/590657181646778370

Leo--" I don't have to explain anything to you...

The arrogance and ignorance of this and most LEO is simply unbelievable..

How many hours do LEO in the police academy spend studying the constitution?

The 1st, 2nd 4th 5th and 14th are pretty basic and any layperson with half a brain should be able to ascertain
the basic meaning of each.. However the average LEO seem to have a problem with these basic rights of our rule of law...

My .02
CCJ

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Leo--" I don't have to explain anything to you...

The arrogance and ignorance of this and most LEO is simply unbelievable..

How many hours do LEO in the police academy spend studying the constitution?

The 1st, 2nd 4th 5th and 14th are pretty basic and any layperson with half a brain should be able to ascertain
the basic meaning of each.. However the average LEO seem to have a problem with these basic rights of our rule of law...

My .02
CCJ

Actually, as we all know, the only thing a LEO has to explain to you is that you are or are not free to go.

It may suck strong enough to keep us from floating off into space but that's the way it is.

If the LEO explains that you are free to go, do so. NOW! Any conversation you may want to have with him can be scheduled with his supervisor at some later time.

It the LEO explains that you are not free to go, shut up and do what he says. In Virginia you can identify yourself by stating your name and the political jurisdiction where you reside. If the LEO takes you to be booked they will inventory your property and probably will come across your state-issued ID document at that time. If you don't have a state-issued ID document and refuse to identify yourself you can expect to wait until the FBI comfirms that the fingerprints the LEA sent match up with you.

If you are not free to go and the LEO takes you to be booked a magistrate will eventually explain what you are charged with and how you may, possibly, be let go before your first appearance in court.

Why do people insist that LEOs shoud/ought to/need to explain anything other than you are free to go/you are not free to go?

stay safe.

countryclubjoe

Actually, as we all know, the only thing a LEO has to explain to you is that you are or are not free to go.

It may suck strong enough to keep us from floating off into space but that's the way it is.

If the LEO explains that you are free to go, do so. NOW! Any conversation you may want to have with him can be scheduled with his supervisor at some later time.

It the LEO explains that you are not free to go, shut up and do what he says. In Virginia you can identify yourself by stating your name and the political jurisdiction where you reside. If the LEO takes you to be booked they will inventory your property and probably will come across your state-issued ID document at that time. If you don't have a state-issued ID document and refuse to identify yourself you can expect to wait until the FBI comfirms that the fingerprints the LEA sent match up with you.

If you are not free to go and the LEO takes you to be booked a magistrate will eventually explain what you are charged with and how you may, possibly, be let go before your first appearance in court.

Why do people insist that LEOs shoud/ought to/need to explain anything other than you are free to go/you are not free to go?

stay safe.

Skid

You are correct, however, can a citizen be arrested after being detained for pleading the 5th?

Officer--- We have a call about a suspicious person walking down the street open carrying and you fit the description. Do you have any ID? What is your name?

Citizen--- Aim I being detained?
Officer--- Yes, until I see some ID
Citizen--- I reserve all my rights under the constitution especially my 5th Amendment right to remain silent until I can consul with my attorney...

So Skid, please play officer for us and proceed... Thank you Skid.

Regards

CCJ

SW40VE-OC

Time to have some open carry events in Arlington.
How do you go about planning something like that? I'm not in that locale currently, I'm planning a visit, and I can think of a weekend when you could have a large visitor presence. I'd be open to discussing it more if you're interested. PM me if you'd lime.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I would opine that its far worse than "not well versed in Virginia culture and tradition." Its more like their worldview with regard to freedom in general and firearms in particular is 180 degrees opposed to ours. And they have the power and general immunity to inflict that worldview on the rest of us. Don't misunderstand, this isn't an anti-police rant, but an observation about a subset of individuals who demonstrate behavior problematic to our freedom.

I agree and well put.