• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying on an airliner (checked baggage)

Kopis

Correct. However, keep in mind each airline may have different requirements - I can't remember which one, but I came across one that specifically prohibits loaded magazines.

Oh, and you may want to consider attaching the case to the internal frame of your luggage with a steel cable so it can't go on walkabout as easily...

thats a fine idea right there...

Last time i flew delta (i think), TSA regs said ammo had to be in its "original" case/box. No loaded mags but of course they change with the wind. I would probably avoid the loaded mags.

JustaShooter

thats a fine idea right there...
Thank you.

Last time i flew delta (i think), TSA regs said ammo had to be in its "original" case/box.
For the past decade or so that I've been paying attention to such things, TSA regs have not had a restriction that the ammo be in its original case/box. TSA rules say
Travelers must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.
Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm.
So, those rules explicitly allow loaded magazines.

Airlines, however, can have restrictions beyond the TSA regs, along the lines of "Ensure small arms ammunition is packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood, plastic or metal boxes and provide separation for cartridges." That one (from Delta, btw) would seem to prohibit loaded magazines as that would not "provide separation for cartridges".