Thread: Iran fires on, seizes US cargo ship. Breaking 1432 GMT. Al Arabiya News

Iran fires on, seizes US cargo ship. Breaking 1432 GMT. Al Arabiya News

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News...-sailors-.html

No details beyo0nd the linked article. The US has very few cargo vessels and very few Americans sail foreign flagged vessels.

Drudge's got it now.

https://news.google.com/news/rtc?ncl...9JqF_sAnMiWD5M 17 articles ATM

RT says Marshall Islands flagged with no Americans. USS Farragut responded to distress call.

Pentagon says MV Maersk Tigris

http://www.vesselfinder.com/vessels/...MMSI-538005749
    Last edited by Nightmare; 04-28-2015 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Never mind. Please delete
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

An Aegis guided missile destroyer responding. That is good.
    The rest, not so much. The USA should command more respect, sad to see that it does not.

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hovercat View Post
    An Aegis guided missile destroyer responding. That is good.
    The rest, not so much. The USA should command more respect, sad to see that it does not.
    What does it have to do with the US?
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns View Post
    Pentagon spokesman Col. Steve "Warren said the US government has “certain obligations” to defend the interests of the Marshall Islands, but he was uncertain how those obligations apply in this situation." http://www.timesofisrael.com/iran-re...ip-holds-crew/
    Last edited by Nightmare; 04-28-2015 at 04:12 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

We are the leader of the free world... Can't miss an opportunity to sword rattle or more.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Pentagon spokesman Col. Steve "Warren said the US government has “certain obligations” to defend the interests of the Marshall Islands, but he was uncertain how those obligations apply in this situation." http://www.timesofisrael.com/iran-re...ip-holds-crew/
    Ah the sweet taste of vague satisfaction brought on by ambiguous reassurance that we do indeed have some obligation for some reason to do something about this. I am mollified.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

State Researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    We are the leader of the free world... Can't miss an opportunity to sword rattle or more.
    The United States and the Marshall Islands are bound by a "Compact of Free Association" which gives / obligates the United States sole responsibility for the security of the Marshall Islands. It also gives citizens of the Marshall Islands the right to live and work in the United States. I believe it also permits Marshall citizens to serve in the United States armed forces while the laws of the Marshalls prevent its citizens form serving in the armed forces of any other nation. At least this is the arrangement the US has with the Northern Marianas.

The US maintains certain military installations on the Islands including a missile test range.

In simple terms, the Island nation is half a step above protectorate; they are a free and "sovereign" nation but are incapable of national defense or even economic self reliance, and the US government has deemed sufficient national interest (plus maybe some benevolence) to engage in what claims to be a mutually beneficial treaty.

Now, we might debate the prudence of the security/military and economic arrangements between the US and the Marshall Islands. We could argue about the history that lead us to where such arrangements seemed a good idea to at least some.

But having entered into those arrangements, I trust that all men of integrity would demand that we honor our obligations until such time as the terms are altered up to and including our withdrawal from the agreement.

Which is not to assert what our obligations are with regard to a Marshall flagged vessel; that I do not know.

And all this is ignoring our national interest in maintaining free shipping lanes through the Straits regardless of which nation flags a particular vessel. No, we are not, should not be, and cannot afford to be the world's police man. But neither is it prudent to wait until you stand alone to stand against the misdeeds of rogue states.

Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

What utbagpiper said.

Adding, being an unreliable ally, protector or partner is rarely in a nation's best interest.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."