Thread: The Only Gunmaker to Own Now

The Only Gunmaker to Own Now

Article.

While I do not believe that's entirely true, I did find the article had some good information, including the following:

Activity levels in the FBI's National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) also give a sense of where gun demand is headed. The NICS shows more than two million firearm background checks in March, up from about 1.9 million in February and 1.8 million in January. March was just the tenth time in the NICS's 17-year history that monthly firearm background checks surpassed two million.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Have you looked at the stock market activity of other makers? If S&W is shooting up, are others also showing gains? If not, why not.

Deep Royal Blue is still yellow journalism without any comparison with other manufacturers.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Founder's Club Member
    Why is NICS data being used for economic or promotional reasons?

I recently discovered that the US Postal Service tracks people who use the internet to check up on certain packages--meaning, packages government thinks are suspicious.

Data collection is data collection--it can be used for whatever, not just the uses claimed by the collector.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Why is NICS data being used for economic or promotional reasons?

I recently discovered that the US Postal Service tracks people who use the internet to check up on certain packages--meaning, packages government thinks are suspicious.

Data collection is data collection--it can be used for whatever, not just the uses claimed by the collector.
    Because:

1 - NICS checks are the only barometer of gun purchases. Not completely accurate, but reasonably so.

2 - the aggregate number of background checks requested/completed/denied are public records.

3 - if you manufactured firearms would you be satisfied just counting the numbers of products you sent to distributors (or is the first level wholesalers?), or would you like to know how many were bought by end-users.

4 - What does the USPS activity have to do with using NICS numbers? Also, no [expletive]it, Sherlock. They aare investigating a possible/probable crime (having already intercepted and inspected the contents). Knowing who shows interest in the package helps them figure out who is/may be involved in the crime they are investigating.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    What does the USPS activity have to do with using NICS numbers? Also, no [expletive]it, Sherlock. They aare investigating a possible/probable crime (having already intercepted and inspected the contents). Knowing who shows interest in the package helps them figure out who is/may be involved in the crime they are investigating.
    So who's coming around to who's way of thinking here, skid? Mine to yours? Yours to mine? We've both made a little progress unlearning old falsehoods?

Just curious. Good post.
    Last edited by since9; 04-30-2015 at 06:37 AM.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Units sold vs. units manufactured, calculating anticipated sales, based on the previous months sales. Back orders are good for business, frustrating for the consumer. The golden data point, what gat maker is trending now and possibly next month. Most bought caliber. Ammo availability certainly drives consumers. The many aspects of Big Gun must be considered before laying your money down.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Suspicious ≠ possible crime...unless you are a gubmint drone.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Suspicious ≠ possible crime...unless you are a gubmint drone.
    Morphed to "probable" = reasonable articulated suspicion. Then to confirmed, evidence of a crime.

Having verified what (crime) there remains the "who", determining possible multiple transgressors.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

While I absolutely LOVE my S&W Model 10-8 and Model 59 my Ruger and even my Kel-Tec's are great guns in their own right. Sales numbers could be driven by Police or other government contracts and don't mean everything when it comes to gun quality. What model is the biggest seller and who is buying it is the first question I would ask!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S&W_Mod59.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	12502

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Model10L.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	12503
    Speedy: LOCAL League Sec/Treasurer, Information Officer
    AKA: Hero Hog, Dr. Speed, "The Brass Mangler" and "That fat, old, balding, Grey-bearded gimpy guy"

I don't have NEAR enough ammo on hand. `nuff said.

NRA Life Member, LSA, USN-DAV

"Stay safe..." - Paul "Skidmark" Henick, RIP

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Because:

1 - NICS checks are the only barometer of gun purchases. Not completely accurate, but reasonably so.
    snip
    stay safe.
    minor clarification...stats reflect bkgnd checks for majority of NEW gun purchases from FFLicensees!
    except in contentious states which passed statutes requiring bkgnd checks, the NICS' stats do not reflect private transactions per se...

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Morphed to "probable" = reasonable articulated suspicion. Then to confirmed, evidence of a crime.

Having verified what (crime) there remains the "who", determining possible multiple transgressors.
    Not what I was talking about.

And no matter how many guns are manufactured or sold, the MSM and political class will continue reporting privately owned guns roughly equal the population and only a minority 1/3 of households own firearms. Interpretation of available data will always be skewed by them so unless you are in the business and are analyzing public and private sales data, it is little more than a WAG.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."