• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Only Gunmaker to Own Now

since9

Campaign Veteran
Article.

While I do not believe that's entirely true, I did find the article had some good information, including the following:

Activity levels in the FBI's National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) also give a sense of where gun demand is headed. The NICS shows more than two million firearm background checks in March, up from about 1.9 million in February and 1.8 million in January. March was just the tenth time in the NICS's 17-year history that monthly firearm background checks surpassed two million.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Have you looked at the stock market activity of other makers? If S&W is shooting up, are others also showing gains? If not, why not.

Deep Royal Blue is still yellow journalism without any comparison with other manufacturers.

stay safe.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Why is NICS data being used for economic or promotional reasons?

I recently discovered that the US Postal Service tracks people who use the internet to check up on certain packages--meaning, packages government thinks are suspicious.

Data collection is data collection--it can be used for whatever, not just the uses claimed by the collector.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Why is NICS data being used for economic or promotional reasons?

I recently discovered that the US Postal Service tracks people who use the internet to check up on certain packages--meaning, packages government thinks are suspicious.

Data collection is data collection--it can be used for whatever, not just the uses claimed by the collector.

Because:

1 - NICS checks are the only barometer of gun purchases. Not completely accurate, but reasonably so.

2 - the aggregate number of background checks requested/completed/denied are public records.

3 - if you manufactured firearms would you be satisfied just counting the numbers of products you sent to distributors (or is the first level wholesalers?), or would you like to know how many were bought by end-users.

4 - What does the USPS activity have to do with using NICS numbers? Also, no [expletive]it, Sherlock. They aare investigating a possible/probable crime (having already intercepted and inspected the contents). Knowing who shows interest in the package helps them figure out who is/may be involved in the crime they are investigating.

stay safe.

since9

Campaign Veteran
What does the USPS activity have to do with using NICS numbers? Also, no [expletive]it, Sherlock. They aare investigating a possible/probable crime (having already intercepted and inspected the contents). Knowing who shows interest in the package helps them figure out who is/may be involved in the crime they are investigating.

So who's coming around to who's way of thinking here, skid? Mine to yours? Yours to mine? We've both made a little progress unlearning old falsehoods?

Just curious. Good post. :)

Last edited:

OC for ME

Units sold vs. units manufactured, calculating anticipated sales, based on the previous months sales. Back orders are good for business, frustrating for the consumer. The golden data point, what gat maker is trending now and possibly next month. Most bought caliber. Ammo availability certainly drives consumers. The many aspects of Big Gun must be considered before laying your money down.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Suspicious ≠ possible crime...unless you are a gubmint drone.
Morphed to "probable" = reasonable articulated suspicion. Then to confirmed, evidence of a crime.

Having verified what (crime) there remains the "who", determining possible multiple transgressors.

HeroHog

While I absolutely LOVE my S&W Model 10-8 and Model 59 my Ruger and even my Kel-Tec's are great guns in their own right. Sales numbers could be driven by Police or other government contracts and don't mean everything when it comes to gun quality. What model is the biggest seller and who is buying it is the first question I would ask!

S&W_Mod59.jpg

Model10L.jpg

solus

Because:

1 - NICS checks are the only barometer of gun purchases. Not completely accurate, but reasonably so.
snip
stay safe.

minor clarification...stats reflect bkgnd checks for majority of NEW gun purchases from FFLicensees!
except in contentious states which passed statutes requiring bkgnd checks, the NICS' stats do not reflect private transactions per se...

ipse

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
And no matter how many guns are manufactured or sold, the MSM and political class will continue reporting privately owned guns roughly equal the population and only a minority 1/3 of households own firearms. Interpretation of available data will always be skewed by them so unless you are in the business and are analyzing public and private sales data, it is little more than a WAG.