• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AK folding length- is my rifle considered a pistol?

kri

Hello! I'm hoping this question is in the right place. I live in Wisconsin btw.

I just purchased an AK rifle online, with a folding stock. It has a muzzle brake.

Here are the measurements
Total Length (with muzzle brake): 937 mm (36 7/8 in.)
• Folded Length (with muzzle brake): 695 mm (27 3/8 in.)
• Barrel Length: 415 mm (16 1/4 in.)

I got concerned about the folded length, reading from a non credible source on a forum, that if your folding rifle is 30" or under in the folded position (In WISCONSIN), it is registered as pistol. I thought this was just Michigan. And even in MI, the length went down to 26. Even though folded it is 27 3/8, does it not include the muzzle brake ?

Why am I worried? Because i'm 19. I wouldn't want to get to my ffl to pick it up and be unable to. I did talk to my ffl on the phone and I was told I'm in the clear, but I don't want there to be any unknown restrictions. Not that I don't trust the ffl or anything.

Thank you so much.

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

Wouldn't this apply?
WISCONSIN:
941.28 Possession of short-barreled shotgun or short-barreled rifle.
(1) In this section:
(a) "Rifle" means a firearm designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder or hip and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of a propellant in a metallic cartridge to fire through a rifled barrel a single projectile for each pull of the trigger.
(b) "Short-barreled rifle" means a rifle having one or more barrels having a length of less than 16 inches measured from closed breech or bolt face to muzzle or a rifle having an overall length of less than 26 inches.

>> If the muzzle brake is removable, the length is measured with it removed. And even so only two* states measure in the folded position. Federally, rifles are measured as rifles, with the stock unfolded/extended to firing position. < <

MICHIGAN
750.222 Definitions.
As used in this chapter:
(e) "Pistol" means a loaded or unloaded firearm that is 26 inches or less in length, or a loaded or unloaded firearm that by its construction and appearance conceals itself as a firearm.

* Per Wikipedia, those two states are California and Michigan.

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

When your Wisconsin FFL dealer fills out the 4473 paperwork, he will list the firearm as a handgun, rifle, or 'other'. He won't be able to transfer a pistol or 'other' to you, so if it's listed as a rifle and he's checked your ID/age you should be good to go, Federally.

kri

Thanks Fallschirmjäger ! I guess my main question was if WI is one of those states that measure with the stock folded. That clears it up!