• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A Public Education event idea

SW40VE-OC

In another thread of the Virginia dedicated page, (Arlington LEO encounter) there is a comment about the need for some OC events. I'd like to make a suggestion that, IMO, could lead to many people learning about OCDO, RKBA and 2a.
Each year in October the Marine Corps Marathon is run in the D.C. area. This year it is Sunday, October 25. The Finish Line is at the Marine Corps Memorial, Iwo Jima Monument. There is a finisher's festival in the downtown Rosslyn section, that includes food, merchandize and advertisement vendors.
My idea: set up a booth and hand out OCDO info (carry pamphlet by state), and 2a info (business card size 2a in long form). Maybe also have a couple very articulate, knowledgeable (basic firearms law, safety rules) people that can answer questions as needed.
I live in Nevada, so I wouldn't be able to make a direct impact on how/ if something like this gets put together. I am willing to help out with long distance planning, i.e. phonecalls, messages, a little help with financial coverage. For instance, I have requested info about name/ contact info of MCM staff in charge of this type of thing so I can learn about requirements/ restrictions.
Please note: as this is close to D.C. AND a large marathon with many thousands of participants and spectators, there is always a large presence of law enforcement. Would this deter you from getting out to spread your knowledge face to face with people that may not know anything of 2a(except msm negatives of it) and the lifestyle that OCDO promotes?
I hope to hear from MCM staff so I can get more info. I am very willing to pass on whatever I learn if there is interest here on planning an OCDO event.
Would love to hear opinions or concerns of the idea I've put forward.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Sure, why not.

On the one hand, although I am a former Marine, I no longer support the Marine Corps or the government that uses my fellow Americans to accomplish its empire-building* and related missions, chewing so may of our young men into hamburger. The Marine Corps marathon is just a PR stunt to make the USMC look good. Got nothing whatever to do with its mission. Chesty Puller would be rolling in his grave.

On the other hand, maybe a certain percentage of those who received hand-outs, etc,, would start thinking about freedom.

*See book, in the public domain and available on-line in free pdf by another famous Marine, Major Gen. Smedley Butler, War is a Racket.

Last edited:

SW40VE-OC

Frankly, I don't think anything after "sure, why not" is relevant to an event like the one I suggested. If a booth is allowed to be set up and there are others in your area willing to do the work to make it happen, do you want me to forward info to you?

SW40VE-OC

Sorry Citizen, missed your "OTOH...." line. I know I would be rather clueless about regs/ laws/ SOP about carry in general and NV specifically without finding OCDO. Lots of different ways to get the same information distributed. Even a small percentage of people digging for info because of a handout could potentially start to shift public opinion.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Either get a Facebook page started or get someone who operates North of the Ni (local joke) to do that.

Contact VCDL www.vcdl.org to see if you can get them on board. They might want to use something like Kickstarter to cover expenses - not so much because they need the money but because it generates publicity.

I'll go and pass stuff out, but since I do not do social media like Facebook there's not much more I can do.

stay safe.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Marine Corps Marathon (MCM) is a ginormous big deal. I know people from all over the country who hold their breaths during the lottery, hoping for a bib, and plan for it as their annual trip. It's not Marines, it's not just locals.

It is, however, an excellent opportunity to get out to a group that is not already homogeneously predisposed to our way of thinking (such as gun shows and freedom walks).

I'd be happy to help.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Marine Corps Marathon (MCM) is a ginormous big deal. I know people from all over the country who hold their breaths during the lottery, hoping for a bib, and plan for it as their annual trip. It's not Marines, it's not just locals.

It is, however, an excellent opportunity to get out to a group that is not already homogeneously predisposed to our way of thinking (such as gun shows and freedom walks).

I'd be happy to help.

I'll be happy to work as staff/gofer to any of the North of the Ni folks who want to do something, as long as I can stay on the Free America side of the Potomac.

stay safe.

SW40VE-OC

I have received contact info for MCM staffer to get details of setting up a booth. For those that have an interest, should I wait to contact VCDL.ORG at this time? It may be just under 6 months from now, but time seems to accelerate when planning something and working on details. Let me know what course of action is desired by VA locals.