• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry for 18 year olds?

Furr308

First off, Im new around here, so hi every one.. Im 18 And I was wondering if I can legally open carry in Oregon? I've had quite a few people say that I cant. But in all the research that Ive done, I havent found anything saying that I cant. The closest thing to it that Ive seen is about purchasing a handgun.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Welcome to OCDO Furr308.

Moving this to the Oregon sub-forum as your question(s) are state specific.

Locals should chime in after the sun comes up.

HeroHog

I can't speak to the laws in your state but I will offer this advice; If it is legal, before you do it, PLEASE closely check all the laws that will affect you! Here in Louisiana it is legal for 18 year olds to Openly Carry but anyone who carries needs to all the places where carry is prohibited and how to act when approached by the police. I also highly recommend getting some training on gun retention and that you buy a good level 2 or higher retention holster. Those cheap nylon Wal-Mart holsters just won't cut it.

Best of luck!

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
The Oregon experts will help you with the details, but it is legal, generally, in Oregon.

The prohibition on young adults buying handguns is on the federally-licensed dealers, not on the buyers. It is legal to acquire handguns through other legal means, including private party sales.