Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: I need some advice/help!

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    1

    I need some advice/help!

    Hello everybody, I'm new to the website and need some help!

    I was burglarized last year a right around the time I was going to the range for sometime.

    I was paranoid and my friend suggested me get a gun. So I did some looking around and everything I needed to do to pick one out.

    Fast forward a few months and I realize that I wasn't ready for that responsibility yet so I posted an ad of Armlist.

    I got a buyer and went out to meet him. We exchange contact and everything and went on with our business. This was right around the end of November. I later saw a poster I594 and decided to look it up. This is where I realize I made a huge mistake.

    I was going through hard times and when my exgf moved out I think she accidentally through away the contact paper before I could report the sell and now I have no contact of him atm. I'm working out getting his contact again through my service provider.

    Long story short.

    I bought a gun that is registered under me.

    Sold it to a buyer but lost his contact.

    Didn't get to report my sell. This was before December 4th.

    Anyway I can check if he registered it under himself as well as how I could protect myself?

    I'd hate to think he didn't registered it under himself and one day uses it and I get blamed.

    I understand I made an Idiotic mistake and now I am trying my best to fix it
    Last edited by HN2015; 04-30-2015 at 02:53 PM.

  2. #2
    Regular Member Whitney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Poulsbo, Kitsap County, Washington, USA
    Posts
    449

    ????

    Quote Originally Posted by HN2015 View Post
    Hello everybody, I'm new to the website and need some help!

    I was burglarized last year a right around the time I was going to the range for sometime.

    I was paranoid and my friend suggested me get a gun. So I did some looking around and everything I needed to do to pick one out.

    Fast forward a few months and I realize that I wasn't ready for that responsibility yet so I posted an ad of Armlist.

    I got a buyer and went out to meet him. We exchange contact and everything and went on with our business. This was right around the end of November. I later saw a poster I594 and decided to look it up. This is where I realize I made a huge mistake.

    I was going through hard times and when my exgf moved out I think she accidentally through away the contact paper before I could report the sell and now I have no contact of him atm. I'm working out getting his contact again through my service provider.

    Long story short.

    I bought a gun that is registered under me.

    Sold it to a buyer but lost his contact.

    Didn't get to report my sell. This was before December 4th.

    Anyway I can check if he registered it under himself as well as how I could protect myself?

    I'd hate to think he didn't registered it under himself and one day uses it and I get blamed.

    I understand I made an Idiotic mistake and now I am trying my best to fix it

    At the risk of sounding condescending, this makes no sense to me. You state you were going to the range for sometime. Next you state you realized you were not ready for "that responsibility". ??

    It is also peculiar to me that you also mention the requirement of I 594 and at the same time profess ignorance of registration.

    I suggest you first read up on RCW 9.41 http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41; any remaining questions you have after reviewing the RCW will likely be easily fielded here.

    ~Whitney
    The problem with America is stupidity.
    I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Snohomish, WA
    Posts
    150
    You should it before 594 went into effect so you are not breaking the law at all. You do not need a bill of sale. It is good to have one but not required by law.

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran slapmonkay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    1,267
    Quote Originally Posted by HN2015 View Post
    [...]

    I bought a gun that is registered under me.

    Sold it to a buyer but lost his contact.

    Didn't get to report my sell. This was before December 4th.

    Anyway I can check if he registered it under himself as well as how I could protect myself?

    I'd hate to think he didn't registered it under himself and one day uses it and I get blamed.

    I understand I made an Idiotic mistake and now I am trying my best to fix it
    First, there is no such thing as firearm 'registration' in WA state. The state does maintain a record (controversially) of firearm sales. Prior to I594, private sales did not have to have background checks or have the sale reported, mostly only sales purchased at an FFL would have been reported to the state.

    Your sale occurred prior to I594 going into effect, therefore no law was broken, you additionally are not required to turn into the state a pistol sale form. For personal liability reasons it would have been good to maintain a personal sales record in the unlikely event that the gun falls into bad hands after you sell it but there is no requirement to do so. The state does still and always will have a record that you purchased that gun at some point, You likely won't convince anyone to remove that sales record from the state database either but that does not establish continued ownership of the firearm.
    Last edited by slapmonkay; 04-30-2015 at 06:32 PM.
    I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

    It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

    I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

  5. #5
    Regular Member MontanaResident's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    160
    You sound paranoid.

    Let me tell you, if the new owner shoots someone, you are as responsible as the retail store that sold you the gun, as is the manufacturer that sold it to the retail store. And of course it's the bullets fault, and the chain of responsibility is the same. YOU DIDN'T SELL HIM BULLETS TOOOOOO????? God help you if you did!

  6. #6
    Activist Member golddigger14s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lacey, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,990
    Also it might help if you get someone to translate, so that it is readable without getting a headache.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

  7. #7
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,604
    Waaay to many inconsistencies and contradictions in the OP to take it seriously.......it has a certain off beat flavor to it.

    OTOH - I commend those that have shown patience in providing answers. It is good practice after all.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  8. #8
    Regular Member rapgood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bothell, WA
    Posts
    565
    Reading the post, my BS alarm went off so many times that the batteries ran down and I was left defenseless for 2 hours.
    Rev. Robert Apgood, Esq.

    A right cannot be lost by exercising it. McDonald v. Chicago, 561 U.S. 3025, 130 S. Ct. 3020, 3021, 177 L. Ed. 2d 894 (2010) (citing Near v. Minn., 283 U.S. 697 (1931)).

    Although IAAL, anything I say here is not legal advice. No conversations we may have privately or otherwise in this forum constitute the formation of an attorney-client relationship, and are not intended to do so.

  9. #9
    Activist Member golddigger14s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lacey, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,990
    $20 that it is a drive by, that we will never hear from again. Any takers? I hate to bash new guys, but the ?? meter is at full bars.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

  10. #10
    Accomplished Advocate BB62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,887
    Quote Originally Posted by rapgood View Post
    Reading the post, my BS alarm went off so many times that the batteries ran down and I was left defenseless for 2 hours.
    Yep!

  11. #11
    Regular Member Freedom1Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Greater Eastside Washington
    Posts
    4,690
    https://youtu.be/lHokGQ4BkV8


    Yeah, this guy set off my alarm too.

    I think that he/she/it might be part of the opposing force.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

  12. #12
    Regular Member Difdi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    996
    Quote Originally Posted by rapgood View Post
    Reading the post, my BS alarm went off so many times that the batteries ran down and I was left defenseless for 2 hours.
    I hope you weren't exposed to any infomercials while you were incapacitated...

  13. #13
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,604
    ^ ^ Informally, that's an informality. ^ ^
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  14. #14
    Regular Member rapgood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bothell, WA
    Posts
    565
    Quote Originally Posted by Difdi View Post
    I hope you weren't exposed to any infomercials while you were incapacitated...
    I got off light. I bought only 3 pressure cookers, 4 George Foreman Grills, and 2 Roombas (the Deluxe model).
    Rev. Robert Apgood, Esq.

    A right cannot be lost by exercising it. McDonald v. Chicago, 561 U.S. 3025, 130 S. Ct. 3020, 3021, 177 L. Ed. 2d 894 (2010) (citing Near v. Minn., 283 U.S. 697 (1931)).

    Although IAAL, anything I say here is not legal advice. No conversations we may have privately or otherwise in this forum constitute the formation of an attorney-client relationship, and are not intended to do so.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    West Plains, ,
    Posts
    388
    Here is the help you need, use it wisely grasshopper.


    http://www.thewritersworkshop.net/classes_seattle.htm


    bob

  16. #16
    Regular Member Difdi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    996
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Better hope Homeland Security doesn't find out....that sounds like a "domestic terrorism" recipe!
    Most people have enough chemicals, tools and assorted junk in their garage, under the kitchen sink and in their closet(s) to generate a bomb-making charge if the authorities search their house with an eye towards getting a conviction. All of it has legal uses, but you can 'prove' anything you like when you control the narrative.

    Do you reload your used cartridges? Do you have leftover materials from installing a chain link fence on your property? Congratulations, you have everything needed to make pipe bombs!

  17. #17
    Regular Member rapgood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bothell, WA
    Posts
    565
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Better hope Homeland Security doesn't find out....that sounds like a "domestic terrorism" recipe!
    Shhhh.....
    Rev. Robert Apgood, Esq.

    A right cannot be lost by exercising it. McDonald v. Chicago, 561 U.S. 3025, 130 S. Ct. 3020, 3021, 177 L. Ed. 2d 894 (2010) (citing Near v. Minn., 283 U.S. 697 (1931)).

    Although IAAL, anything I say here is not legal advice. No conversations we may have privately or otherwise in this forum constitute the formation of an attorney-client relationship, and are not intended to do so.

  18. #18
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Difdi View Post
    Most people have enough chemicals, tools and assorted junk in their garage, under the kitchen sink and in their closet(s) to generate a bomb-making charge if the authorities search their house with an eye towards getting a conviction. All of it has legal uses, but you can 'prove' anything you like when you control the narrative.

    Do you reload your used cartridges? Do you have leftover materials from installing a chain link fence on your property? Congratulations, you have everything needed to make pipe bombs!
    Quote Originally Posted by rapgood View Post
    Shhhh.....
    I much prefer the strategies of the old Imperial countries - if they could not win the war outright they would flood their enemy with prisoners of war to the point that it cost their enemy more to keep the prisoners than to fight the war. I say we fill the FEMA camps to the point that there will be only two jobs available: being a FEMA camper and guarding the FEMA campers.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •