• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I need some advice/help!

HN2015

Hello everybody, I'm new to the website and need some help!

I was burglarized last year a right around the time I was going to the range for sometime.

I was paranoid and my friend suggested me get a gun. So I did some looking around and everything I needed to do to pick one out.

Fast forward a few months and I realize that I wasn't ready for that responsibility yet so I posted an ad of Armlist.

I got a buyer and went out to meet him. We exchange contact and everything and went on with our business. This was right around the end of November. I later saw a poster I594 and decided to look it up. This is where I realize I made a huge mistake.

I was going through hard times and when my exgf moved out I think she accidentally through away the contact paper before I could report the sell and now I have no contact of him atm. I'm working out getting his contact again through my service provider.

Long story short.

I bought a gun that is registered under me.

Sold it to a buyer but lost his contact.

Didn't get to report my sell. This was before December 4th.

Anyway I can check if he registered it under himself as well as how I could protect myself?

I'd hate to think he didn't registered it under himself and one day uses it and I get blamed.

I understand I made an Idiotic mistake and now I am trying my best to fix it :(

Last edited:

Whitney

????

Hello everybody, I'm new to the website and need some help!

I was burglarized last year a right around the time I was going to the range for sometime.

I was paranoid and my friend suggested me get a gun. So I did some looking around and everything I needed to do to pick one out.

Fast forward a few months and I realize that I wasn't ready for that responsibility yet so I posted an ad of Armlist.

I got a buyer and went out to meet him. We exchange contact and everything and went on with our business. This was right around the end of November. I later saw a poster I594 and decided to look it up. This is where I realize I made a huge mistake.

I was going through hard times and when my exgf moved out I think she accidentally through away the contact paper before I could report the sell and now I have no contact of him atm. I'm working out getting his contact again through my service provider.

Long story short.

Anyway I can check if he registered it under himself as well as how I could protect myself?

I'd hate to think he didn't registered it under himself and one day uses it and I get blamed.

At the risk of sounding condescending, this makes no sense to me. You state you were going to the range for sometime. Next you state you realized you were not ready for "that responsibility". ??

It is also peculiar to me that you also mention the requirement of I 594 and at the same time profess ignorance of registration.

I suggest you first read up on RCW 9.41 http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41; any remaining questions you have after reviewing the RCW will likely be easily fielded here.

~Whitney

Seriona

You should it before 594 went into effect so you are not breaking the law at all. You do not need a bill of sale. It is good to have one but not required by law.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
[...]

First, there is no such thing as firearm 'registration' in WA state. The state does maintain a record (controversially) of firearm sales. Prior to I594, private sales did not have to have background checks or have the sale reported, mostly only sales purchased at an FFL would have been reported to the state.

Your sale occurred prior to I594 going into effect, therefore no law was broken, you additionally are not required to turn into the state a pistol sale form. For personal liability reasons it would have been good to maintain a personal sales record in the unlikely event that the gun falls into bad hands after you sell it but there is no requirement to do so. The state does still and always will have a record that you purchased that gun at some point, You likely won't convince anyone to remove that sales record from the state database either but that does not establish continued ownership of the firearm.

Last edited:

MontanaResident

You sound paranoid.

Let me tell you, if the new owner shoots someone, you are as responsible as the retail store that sold you the gun, as is the manufacturer that sold it to the retail store. And of course it's the bullets fault, and the chain of responsibility is the same. YOU DIDN'T SELL HIM BULLETS TOOOOOO????? :confused: God help you if you did! :eek:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Waaay to many inconsistencies and contradictions in the OP to take it seriously.......it has a certain off beat flavor to it.

OTOH - I commend those that have shown patience in providing answers. It is good practice after all.
icon14.png

rapgood

Reading the post, my BS alarm went off so many times that the batteries ran down and I was left defenseless for 2 hours.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
$20 that it is a drive by, that we will never hear from again. Any takers? I hate to bash new guys, but the ?? meter is at full bars.

Difdi

Better hope Homeland Security doesn't find out....that sounds like a "domestic terrorism" recipe!

Most people have enough chemicals, tools and assorted junk in their garage, under the kitchen sink and in their closet(s) to generate a bomb-making charge if the authorities search their house with an eye towards getting a conviction. All of it has legal uses, but you can 'prove' anything you like when you control the narrative.

Do you reload your used cartridges? Do you have leftover materials from installing a chain link fence on your property? Congratulations, you have everything needed to make pipe bombs!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Most people have enough chemicals, tools and assorted junk in their garage, under the kitchen sink and in their closet(s) to generate a bomb-making charge if the authorities search their house with an eye towards getting a conviction. All of it has legal uses, but you can 'prove' anything you like when you control the narrative.

Do you reload your used cartridges? Do you have leftover materials from installing a chain link fence on your property? Congratulations, you have everything needed to make pipe bombs!

Shhhh.....

I much prefer the strategies of the old Imperial countries - if they could not win the war outright they would flood their enemy with prisoners of war to the point that it cost their enemy more to keep the prisoners than to fight the war. I say we fill the FEMA camps to the point that there will be only two jobs available: being a FEMA camper and guarding the FEMA campers.

stay safe.