• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Illinois resident rights

Hello all going to Missouri soon and have Illinois FOID card and just wondering what my rights are in MO as far as open carry and vehicle. Also now that Illinois has CC does MO recognize our permit?<br/>

kcgunfan

If you are 19 or over, and have a handgun, you may carry however you wish in your car. Missouri honors all other states CCW permits, but since the FOID card is not a CCW, I suspect it's as useful as a library card. Missouri allows local control of open carry without a CCW permit, so you need to check local laws.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
but since the FOID card is not a CCW, I suspect it's as useful as a library card.

Laff - Nice. MO doesn't have anything like a FOID card. The closest you will come is that some box stores selling ammo near the IL border may ask if you are an IL resident and if so ask to see a driver's license to buy ammo. I still haven't figured out that one or on what authority that happens.

If the OP can offer some idea of an itinerary I'm sure MO folks will help with local ordinances banning OC. Although, if you have an IL CC you can OC or CC.

Ezek

Hello all going to Missouri soon and have Illinois FOID card and just wondering what my rights are in MO as far as open carry and vehicle. Also now that Illinois has CC does MO recognize our permit?<br/>

under SB 656, so long as you are in your vehicle and travelling "peaceably" you may open carry your firearm on your hip. otherwise it is to be stored with ammo separate from gun I believe. unless you have a CCW, in which case you'll probably have it concealed upon your person.

Last edited:

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
under SB 656, so long as you are in your vehicle and travelling "peaceably" you may open carry your firearm on your hip. otherwise it is to be stored with ammo separate from gun I believe. unless you have a CCW, in which case you'll probably have it concealed upon your person.
No. From the MOSHP carry brochure:
In addition to the concealed carry permit discussed above, Missouri now permits any person who is at least 19 years old to transport a concealable firearm in the passenger compartment of a motor vehicle. No concealed carry permit is required. The peaceable journey exception is still in the law, and may apply in circumstances where the new law does not (i.e. if the person is less than 19 years old).
Note: This law does not affect the statute prohibiting possession of a concealable firearm by a dangerous felon.
http://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/Publications/Brochures/documents/SHP-863.pdf
(this was faster for me at the moment that pulling up and citing statute)

Ezek

NP Didn't intend to sound rude. Was traveling and mobile and trying to make it short and sweet. :)

No Worries man, didn't sound rude at all. Sorry if I came off as offended, or rude, wasn't trying to. Thanks for pointing the guy in the right direction again,.