Thread: Remember X-Acto knives, now EXACTO bullets, Pentagon's Smart Bullets

Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin

Remember X-Acto knives, now EXACTO bullets, Pentagon's Smart Bullets

“DARPA’s Extreme Accuracy Tasked Ordnance (EXACTO) program, which developed a self-steering bullet to increase hit rates for difficult, long-distance shots, completed in February its most successful round of live-fire tests to date. An experienced shooter using the technology demonstration system repeatedly hit moving and evading targets. Additionally, a novice shooter using the system for the first time hit a moving target,” DARPAsaid on its YouTube page on Monday.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 05-01-2015 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Fat fingers
    If TRUMP 2016 loses then I will shrug off my WHITE MAN'S BURDEN and leave the world to the Dindus and Done Nuffins. Read and understand Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged as a prescription for the future. TRUMP 2016

So how much does this cost a bullet? $3.00 - $5.00 tops? Wonder what is the targeting system - laser?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    So how much does this cost a bullet? $3.00 - $5.00 tops? Wonder what is the targeting system - laser?
    The article's reference of "aero-actuation controls, power sources, optical guidance systems and sensors," matches this Wikipedia entry: "The DARPA EXACTO program may face competition from Sandia National Laboratories for creating a guided sniper round. The DARPA EXACTO program uses different methods than Sandia's guided round. It relies on remote-guidance tied to the optics, which may be more reliable than Sandia's guidance method of needing to paint the target with a laser for their projectile to follow, which can be detected, diffused, or blocked."

This is by no means the first self-guided round, however. The M712 Copperhead was a 155 mm caliber cannon-launched, fin-stabilized, terminally laser guided, explosive shell intended to engage hard point targets such as tanks, self-propelled howitzers or other high-value targets. It may be fired from different artillery pieces, such as the M114, M109, M198 and M777 howitzers.

The M712 Copperhead weighs less than 140 lbs yet unit production price was about $30,000 (source).

I seriously doubt you'll find one of these puppies going for less than $300. That's "three hundred dollars." If I had to guess, in smaller quantities, each round might run as high as a thousand dollars or so. But that's just a WAG.
    The 1st protects the 2nd, and the 2nd protects the 1st. GET THIS OR LOSE IT ALLl: 27-2=0. Our 2A is THE bellwether, and ain't none finer: Islamic Reality. Our Founding Fathers on Church and State. PC=ZERO.