Thread: Articles and statistics related to 2nd amendment

Articles and statistics related to 2nd amendment

Hey everyone.
    I've got a friend that is doing a research project of a class on the 2nd amendment...obviously, being the good friend that I am, would like it to have a nice "pro freedom" ring to it. Do you all have any good links for statistic and articles by reputable people on the 2nd amendment?

-yes, I googled, but I know a lot of y'all have a lot of this stuff bookmarked

Thanks in advance!

"He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Super weird. That link shows as an invalid link for me.

Go to the Forum main (first) page.

Start at the top and scroll down till you see "Law Library"

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Thanks for the directions, skid

Founder's Club Member
    If this is for college, the professor may require a certain number of scholarly sources. Pay attention to those just in case.
    Last edited by Citizen; 05-02-2015 at 07:02 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    If this is for college, the professor may require a certain number of scholarly sources. Pay attention to those just in case.
    Thanks citizen.

I let him know. I am in the medical field, so scholarly articles look a bit different there. More studies and less surveys.

Would case law be considered scholarly? I advised him to start there.

No, case law would not be a good resource.

Start with John Lott and follow the yellow brink road from his bibliographies.

But if I ever find out that this assignment has anything to do with "guns as a public health risk" I will personally come and deal with you, your friend, and your friend's professor(s). The only way to avoid that is by including baseball bats and hammers and cinder blocks and automobiles and 5-gallon pails (to suggest a few) as public health risks.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    No, case law would not be a good resource.

Start with John Lott and follow the yellow brink road from his bibliographies.

But if I ever find out that this assignment has anything to do with "guns as a public health risk" I will personally come and deal with you, your friend, and your friend's professor(s). The only way to avoid that is by including baseball bats and hammers and cinder blocks and automobiles and 5-gallon pails (to suggest a few) as public health risks.

stay safe.
    I can agree that case law would not make a good primary source. However, case law may come into play, depending on how the student develops the topic and which sources support that development.

Certainly, case law would not count as a scholarly source to meet a required minimum number of scholarly sources, if the professor requires such.

A scholarly source would mean a paper or article written by a scholar. For example, (Gary Kleck?) did a survey years ago, extrapolating that guns are used defensively some 2M times a year. He was a professor or something from a university in (Florida?). A university professor would be indisputably a scholar.

Just depends on whether your friend's professor requires a certain minimum number of scholarly sources out the total number of sources.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

I would bet he is looking for that. He asked me for pro gun sources, so I am guessing it is a thesis defense of some sort.

In that case, I would think theory may be better than actual statistics, as most statistics would likely show correlation but not a cause/effect. I could be wrong. I told him to start with John Lott and another couple sources I used.

Definitely NOT about public health

Quote Originally Posted by J_dazzle23 View Post
    I would bet he is looking for that. He asked me for pro gun sources, so I am guessing it is a thesis defense of some sort.

In that case, I would think theory may be better than actual statistics, as most statistics would likely show correlation but not a cause/effect. I could be wrong. I told him to start with John Lott and another couple sources I used.

Definitely NOT about public health
    Dont have any sources of articles, but somewhere in there make sure to tell them what the 2A really means and why its in there. It is the teeth of our Constitution. (not that it matters anymore).

Quote Originally Posted by J_dazzle23 View Post
    Hey everyone.
    I've got a friend that is doing a research project of a class on the 2nd amendment...obviously, being the good friend that I am, would like it to have a nice "pro freedom" ring to it. Do you all have any good links for statistic and articles by reputable people on the 2nd amendment?
    Search away. Most claims are cited.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    Search away. Most claims are cited.
    Awesome thanks! I'll forward that. Thus may perhaps be a Gem of a thread

Sounds like a trap to me. What is the focus of the assignment, what is the teacher's premise.

We all have a right to own and peaceably carry a firearm for the purposes of self defense, and in some states, to come to the aid of the state if required.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Sounds like a trap to me. What is the focus of the assignment, what is the teacher's premise.

We all have a right to own and peaceably carry a firearm for the purposes of self defense, and in some states, to come to the aid of the state if required.
    Naw- he chose the subject. Only requirement is that it be a current news and or political topic.

Gunfacts.info would be an excellent source as it has a lot of info and sources for every one of its facts. Another good one is guncite.com as it has all sorts of info with cites. Its debunking of the wild west is especially good.

Quote Originally Posted by Aknazer View Post
    Gunfacts.info would be an excellent source as it has a lot of info and sources for every one of its facts. Another good one is guncite.com as it has all sorts of info with cites. Its debunking of the wild west is especially good.
    Thanks! That looks like an awesome source!

State Researcher

The Racist Roots of Gun Control

Since I first read it, I have always thought that Clayton Cramer's, "The Racist Roots of Gun Control", took a unique angle on the whole issue of gun laws that can cause many on the other side to at least rethink their basic assumptions. While Mr. Cramer is a lowly software engineer rather than an admitted member of ivory tower academia, the essay is extensively footnoted.

L. Neil Smith's short essay, "Why Guns", offers a nice perspective on the so-called "single issue voter."

Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    I can agree that case law would not make a good primary source. However, case law may come into play, depending on how the student develops the topic and which sources support that development.Certainly, case law would not count as a scholarly source to meet a required minimum number of scholarly sources, if the professor requires such.A scholarly source would mean a paper or article written by a scholar. For example, (Gary Kleck?) did a survey years ago, extrapolating that guns are used defensively some 2M times a year. He was a professor or something from a university in (Florida?). A university professor would be indisputably a scholar.Just depends on whether your friend's professor requires a certain minimum number of scholarly sources out the total number of sources.
    +1 I was able to use Miller to combat an anti's point of view that military weapons were not for individuals. Just depends on how you use it and which case law.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Very good resources guys. Opencarry.org coming through in the clutch. So proud