• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Articles and statistics related to 2nd amendment

J_dazzle23

Hey everyone.
I've got a friend that is doing a research project of a class on the 2nd amendment...obviously, being the good friend that I am, would like it to have a nice "pro freedom" ring to it. Do you all have any good links for statistic and articles by reputable people on the 2nd amendment?

-yes, I googled, but I know a lot of y'all have a lot of this stuff bookmarked :)

Thanks in advance!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Go to the Forum main (first) page.

Start at the top and scroll down till you see "Law Library"

stay safe.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
If this is for college, the professor may require a certain number of scholarly sources. Pay attention to those just in case.

Last edited:

J_dazzle23

If this is for college, the professor may require a certain number of scholarly sources. Pay attention to those just in case.
Thanks citizen.

I let him know. I am in the medical field, so scholarly articles look a bit different there. More studies and less surveys.

Would case law be considered scholarly? I advised him to start there.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
No, case law would not be a good resource.

Start with John Lott and follow the yellow brink road from his bibliographies.

But if I ever find out that this assignment has anything to do with "guns as a public health risk" I will personally come and deal with you, your friend, and your friend's professor(s). The only way to avoid that is by including baseball bats and hammers and cinder blocks and automobiles and 5-gallon pails (to suggest a few) as public health risks.

stay safe.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
No, case law would not be a good resource.

Start with John Lott and follow the yellow brink road from his bibliographies.

But if I ever find out that this assignment has anything to do with "guns as a public health risk" I will personally come and deal with you, your friend, and your friend's professor(s). The only way to avoid that is by including baseball bats and hammers and cinder blocks and automobiles and 5-gallon pails (to suggest a few) as public health risks.

stay safe.

I can agree that case law would not make a good primary source. However, case law may come into play, depending on how the student develops the topic and which sources support that development.

Certainly, case law would not count as a scholarly source to meet a required minimum number of scholarly sources, if the professor requires such.

A scholarly source would mean a paper or article written by a scholar. For example, (Gary Kleck?) did a survey years ago, extrapolating that guns are used defensively some 2M times a year. He was a professor or something from a university in (Florida?). A university professor would be indisputably a scholar.

Just depends on whether your friend's professor requires a certain minimum number of scholarly sources out the total number of sources.

J_dazzle23

I would bet he is looking for that. He asked me for pro gun sources, so I am guessing it is a thesis defense of some sort.

In that case, I would think theory may be better than actual statistics, as most statistics would likely show correlation but not a cause/effect. I could be wrong. I told him to start with John Lott and another couple sources I used.

Definitely NOT about public health :)

nobama

I would bet he is looking for that. He asked me for pro gun sources, so I am guessing it is a thesis defense of some sort.

In that case, I would think theory may be better than actual statistics, as most statistics would likely show correlation but not a cause/effect. I could be wrong. I told him to start with John Lott and another couple sources I used.

Definitely NOT about public health :)

Dont have any sources of articles, but somewhere in there make sure to tell them what the 2A really means and why its in there. It is the teeth of our Constitution. (not that it matters anymore).

OC for ME

Sounds like a trap to me. What is the focus of the assignment, what is the teacher's premise.

We all have a right to own and peaceably carry a firearm for the purposes of self defense, and in some states, to come to the aid of the state if required.

J_dazzle23

Sounds like a trap to me. What is the focus of the assignment, what is the teacher's premise.

We all have a right to own and peaceably carry a firearm for the purposes of self defense, and in some states, to come to the aid of the state if required.

Naw- he chose the subject. Only requirement is that it be a current news and or political topic.

Aknazer

Gunfacts.info would be an excellent source as it has a lot of info and sources for every one of its facts. Another good one is guncite.com as it has all sorts of info with cites. Its debunking of the wild west is especially good.

J_dazzle23

Gunfacts.info would be an excellent source as it has a lot of info and sources for every one of its facts. Another good one is guncite.com as it has all sorts of info with cites. Its debunking of the wild west is especially good.
Thanks! That looks like an awesome source!

utbagpiper

Banned
The Racist Roots of Gun Control

Since I first read it, I have always thought that Clayton Cramer's, "The Racist Roots of Gun Control", took a unique angle on the whole issue of gun laws that can cause many on the other side to at least rethink their basic assumptions. While Mr. Cramer is a lowly software engineer rather than an admitted member of ivory tower academia, the essay is extensively footnoted.

L. Neil Smith's short essay, "Why Guns", offers a nice perspective on the so-called "single issue voter."

Charles

sudden valley gunner

I can agree that case law would not make a good primary source. However, case law may come into play, depending on how the student develops the topic and which sources support that development.Certainly, case law would not count as a scholarly source to meet a required minimum number of scholarly sources, if the professor requires such.A scholarly source would mean a paper or article written by a scholar. For example, (Gary Kleck?) did a survey years ago, extrapolating that guns are used defensively some 2M times a year. He was a professor or something from a university in (Florida?). A university professor would be indisputably a scholar.Just depends on whether your friend's professor requires a certain minimum number of scholarly sources out the total number of sources.
+1 I was able to use Miller to combat an anti's point of view that military weapons were not for individuals. Just depends on how you use it and which case law.

J_dazzle23

Very good resources guys. Opencarry.org coming through in the clutch. So proud :):):)