• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying with holster in the pocket

nobodey

I prefer carrying with a holster in my pocket because it is the most comfortable, less obstructive. I know this is a grey area. The pistol/holster is half way concealed and the shirt doesn't do a good job of concealing what isn't in the pocket. Most of my shirts are not long enough to conceal the pistol.
I have a CPL. I used to carry with a shoulder holster and in the waist. Again, the pocket is so much more comfortable. Not to mention much easier to draw with one hand without using the other to keep the shirt from catching.

I went without a CPL for the past few years because I encountered criminals with badges (long story). My main concern is how/why and LEO would confront me while carrying the way I do.

I thought I had a question to ask... comments/advice?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to OCDO.

Could you be a bit more precise about how you are carrying?

At first I thought you might be pocket carrying, but then the comment about your shirt not covering said that was not right.

Are you wearing a fairly low-ride OWB holster at 3 o'clock such that part of the body of the holster slips into your pocket?

I've learned to not say much about how others may be dealt with by cops - especially if the person has a "history" and thje cops are aware of that. About the only semi-safe generalization is that not calling attention to yourself can lessen the odds cops will want to interact with you. Also, case law about what constitutes concealed varies so muh by state that it is difficult to keep up with the ins and outs of it. It would help if some Michiganders chimed in wit state-specific info for you. (But watch out for those Yoopers - they sametimes have a twisted sense of humor. :lol: )

stay safe.

nobodey

Welcome to OCDO.

Could you be a bit more precise about how you are carrying?

At first I thought you might be pocket carrying, but then the comment about your shirt not covering said that was not right.

Are you wearing a fairly low-ride OWB holster at 3 o'clock such that part of the body of the holster slips into your pocket?

I've learned to not say much about how others may be dealt with by cops - especially if the person has a "history" and thje cops are aware of that. About the only semi-safe generalization is that not calling attention to yourself can lessen the odds cops will want to interact with you. Also, case law about what constitutes concealed varies so muh by state that it is difficult to keep up with the ins and outs of it. It would help if some Michiganders chimed in wit state-specific info for you. (But watch out for those Yoopers - they sametimes have a twisted sense of humor. :lol: )

stay safe.

Khar P45, holster (nylon holster that doubles as IWB/OWB) with a clip that attaches to my right front pocket (jeans). 2 o'clock. Holster is about 50% visible if I'm shirtless.

I wore a button down shirt today and it concealed my gun 100% because it's longer. Most of my shirts conceal the gun just enough if I am standing still. But moving around plus the wind and whatnot, my shirts are not always concealing my gun.

I am certainly not known by LEO in Detroit.

I'm confused you do or do not have a CPL? I think you are saying you had one, let it lapse and now have one again, but I'm not sure.

Sorry, that was misleading. Yes, I had one. Long story short, the president of the company I work for restored my faith in LE (he was chief of police and is a federal marshal), so now I have my CPL again.

Well ****, now I remember that I was stopped once while carrying in the pocket like I do now... I may have actually posted this story on here years ago.

I should probably mention that I moved to Detroit (not the best decision) from Harrison Township and I'm white which means people notice me around here.
I'm short, and have an athletic body type so you'll notice a bulg where the gun is....

I was carrying a Kimber Raptor II 1911 (4" barrel IIRC) with a similar holster in my right pocket. Was walking back from the store on the sidewalk in a residential area. Approaching a road at an intersection, a car pulled up and 3 males starred me down hard. I forgot the dialog but they got out and stopped me in the middle of the road, at that point I was passing behind their vehicle. I wasn't alarmed because I knew they were undercover LEO.

They ran my CPL, asked me questions like why was I living in Detroit (lol). Didn't disarm me. I don't look like a criminal. I made a joke, "lookin for dope?". He said, "nope, just guns. We'll get some tonight, too."
***edit:
I also remember him (the one who stood with my while the other 2 ran my license) asking me why I carried in the pocket. I told him because it was comfortable and very easy to draw from. I don't remember a notable response.

How could I have avoided that situation? Probably by not moving to Detroit? (haha) If I was OCing I'd expect the same result. Maybe not tho. A concealed gun that is not so concealed can create situations with LE. I think that is the moral of the story.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--

Well ****, now I remember that I was stopped once while carrying in the pocket like I do now... I may have actually posted this story on here years ago. ..........................

Please explain "may have actually posted this story on here years ago."

We have archives and could probably recover it for you.

OC4me

I understand exactly how you are carrying. I do that now and then, except with a .380. It would be similar to an inside the waistband setup with the grip showing.

Since 'concealed' is not defined anywhere in the statutes (that needs to be fixed), it may or may not be considered legally concealed. Since you now have a CPL, it matters not. Carry on!

B

Bikenut

In Michigan......

It is legal to carry concealed with a CPL...

It is legal to openly carry with or without a CPL...

While it is legal to open carry without a CPL there are restrictions that apply but....

If you have a CPL you can legally carry concealed, openly, or some combination thereof and it doesn't matter if your gun... or part of your gun... is showing or not since if it isn't showing then you are carrying concealed but if it is showing you are carrying openly.

That does not mean you won't get stopped and questioned (hassled for engaging in the legal activity of carrying a gun) by cops who think you are a criminal trying to hide a gun but are just sloppy at it.

But... consider this. Using a covert video/audio recorder can not only show what did happen during an attack or a hassle cop stop that recording can also show what DIDN'T happen. It can show that you did not say/do what someone said you did.