• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to OP and NC

draksig

I have not lived in NC all that long but this is the first state I have lived in that is this friendly about OC. Starting to see it more and more but I wasn't really looking before either.

I just recently purchased a 9MM (my first Semi) and plan on some OC until I can get my CCP. Once I get a good OWB holster I will carry on hip until I get in my van where I plan on putting it in the tray of my center console (so It will be secure). I even plan on painting the tray white to provide contrast.

Just want to ask one question. When I do not want to carry in a store for some reason, can I then secure the 9MM inside the console and out of view then move it back into view when I return to the van?

nobama

I have not lived in NC all that long but this is the first state I have lived in that is this friendly about OC. Starting to see it more and more but I wasn't really looking before either.

I just recently purchased a 9MM (my first Semi) and plan on some OC until I can get my CCP. Once I get a good OWB holster I will carry on hip until I get in my van where I plan on putting it in the tray of my center console (so It will be secure). I even plan on painting the tray white to provide contrast.

Just want to ask one question. When I do not want to carry in a store for some reason, can I then secure the 9MM inside the console and out of view then move it back into view when I return to the van?

Welcome to OC.org. Some others may reply, but I will answer the best I can. Why disarm while in the vehicle? put it on your hip, open in a holster. I dont see any reason not to "hide" it while not in the vehicle. I would. Also, why not just wear it into the store? if its legal? A gun on your hip, in a holster is MUCH more secure than floating around in your vehicle. I wear mine all the time where legal, never had any problems.

draksig

Not disarming, I am a big guy and the console tray is easier to get to than a holster on my hip. And I will need to go in no guns allowed locations from time to time.

PLUR

This is pretty much what I do and AFAIK you aren't breaking the law by doing it. Sometimes I'll place it into the glove box (locked) if I'm concerned about it. Basically I'm trying to prevent someone from seeing it and deciding they want to bust the window open to steal it. Just be sure you aren't waving it around for everyone to see when you put it away. Scan the area first then put it away.

A lot of guys will (rightly) advocate that you shouldn't ever disarm yourself and not do business with places where firearms aren't allowed. I'm inclined to agree but in reality every so often you'll have to leave the firearm behind. I'm all for leaving it some place where it isn't in view of the general public since there are a ton of idiots walking around that'll steal anything that isn't nailed down.

That issue aside: In the car I often have mine laying in the center console or on the passenger seat. In my car this is more or less secure but won't prevent the gun from going flying in the event of a roll over. If you're concerned about that you can buy a holster and mount it inside of the cab some place. Lots of people mount them below the steering wheel or between the driver's seat and the center console. It wouldn't cost much and is pretty easy to do, check out some of the videos on youtube.

I don't carry holstered in the car because it's just harder to get-at the gun if I need it. The entire reason I started carrying is due to the fact that I was nearly car-jacked in Danville, VA some years back. I don't know how y'all wear your seat belts but mine make it so it's nearly impossible to draw the weapon when I'm buckled up.

Last edited:

solus

PLUR, et al., take a look at this holster

dougdseatbelt1_small.jpg dougdseatbelt3_small.jpg

http://www.levergunleather.com/p_holster_rigs.htm

snaps on your seat belt, i personally use double sided velcro with an olde holster and strap my BUG down to my seat belt while still wearing my normal carry on my hip...this precludes the inadvertent leaving of my firearm due to an emergency departure from my vehicle to assist others in accident situations or routine exits to fuel.

or on long trips go with a shoulder holster...

ten one half dozen for whatever works for your situation.

ipse