• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Report - Cape Girardeau area

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
Well, I've certainly been enjoying the statutory change negating the City of Cape Girardeau's OC ban [eta: for those of us with CCW]. From the time it passed until recently I was mostly CC simply because of the weather and having on coats or sweaters that naturally concealed. But with the advent of warmer weather I've been OC quite a bit and, except from a few people asking about it politely leading to positive, albeit brief, discussions, and one pair of clerks at the quick shop whispering about it loud enough for me to hear ("Is that a GUN??") I haven't had any issues. I don't get out much but here's some places I've been OC in the area (Jackson has never had an OC ban but I will mention it as well just for newbs and such):

Dollar General (Cape & Jackson)
Wal-Mart (Cape & Jackson)
Happy Tails Doggy Day Care
Menards
Wings, Etc. (Cape & Jackson but only times when I haven't had a beer - won't usually drink adult beverage when OC)
Food Giant
Petco
Hardee's (Jackson)
Houchs Donuts
Mobil (previously Bi-State)
Rhodes 101 (several locations)
Discount Smoke Shop
Crosnoe's Jewelry
The Medicine Shoppe
Pizza Hut
Ellis Battery
C&G Motor Company
Taco Bell
Advance Auto
Wal-Mart Local Market (or whatever it is called - it is the groceries only store that opened recently)
And, my wife organized a volunteer group for the Parks Department Clean Up Cape last weekend so I was OC all over downtown Cape trimming trees, mulching, picking up trash.

Now many of those local businesses I have been patronizing for several years so staff at least recognize me so maybe this is a YMMV situation for some of those places. But for me, I have yet to have any issues or, except for the whispering clerks, much of any reaction. Although, one lady at Crosnoe's Jewelry did do a double take and widen her eyes noticeably but didn't say anything when I popped in to pick up my watch.

A few of the places I visit very regularly and in most of those staff that have seen me for years invested a little time to discuss it with me. I very much hope that someone like me, who they see as a regular who is always polite and chatty, serves as an ambassador for others to come. The discussion from them usually runs along the lines of,
Them "You're carrying a gun? When did you start doing that?"
Me "I've had a gun almost every time you've seen me over the last __ years. Just had to conceal it in Cape until the law changed last fall."
Them "I didn't know."
Me "I guess I did a good job concealing. *laugh and smile*"

This is usually followed by some questions about the law, carrying, concealed carry classes and almost every time some expression of an interest in carrying a gun for self-defense at some point.

So, FWIW, that's my little report.

[ETA: Last fall, right after OC passed, I was standing outside the front of my offices, OC, on the phone when 2 cop cars pulled into my parking lot and arrested a pedestrian walking through our lot. One cop looked over, said something to the cop nearest, they both looked over, I waved, they waved and we all went about our business. The only cop I have seen since who I noticed noticing my OC, just smiled and waved and I reciprocated.]

Last edited:

Redbaron007

Oh so good to hear!! :)

Now for the finale, it would be nice if you could do it without the permit. But time will tell.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
Oh so good to hear!! :)

Now for the finale, it would be nice if you could do it without the permit. But time will tell.
At this point the permit has been irrelevant as no one has asked to see it, as it should be. However, I assume that if I sterile carried and was asked in the City of Cape Girardeau, that I would end up in an extended discussion and not about A5. :p

Mo

Banned
Appreciate the report and thanks for communicating with people the way that you do.

Good report from a anti gun city. Now if someone that lives in Lake Ozark or nearby would do the same to test the rabid anti-gun police chief and his officers and the city council that passed the OC ban on the advice of the anti-gun police chief.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
...Now if someone that lives in Lake Ozark or nearby would do the same to test the rabid anti-gun police chief and his officers and the city council that passed the OC ban on the advice of the anti-gun police chief.
True. But noooo, people should wait until the MoSC decides Dotson's case! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

logunowner

Good report from a anti gun city. Now if someone that lives in Lake Ozark or nearby would do the same to test the rabid anti-gun police chief and his officers and the city council that passed the OC ban on the advice of the anti-gun police chief.

Carry almost everyday in Lake Ozark and when possible I make sure Police are well aware that I am exercising my 2nd Amendment rights...
More to come on Lake Ozark, their time in the spot light is yet to come.