• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question from a out of stater

Bill45

So, after reading the sticky on Montana laws, do I read it right that you can ONLY open carry in a restraunt? That concealed carry is illegal? and if the restraunt serves alcohol even in the non-bar area that carry is prohibited?

If this is so I have been breaking the law for years every time I drive through Montana.

Bill in Washington

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
So, after reading the sticky on Montana laws, do I read it right that you can ONLY open carry in a restraunt? That concealed carry is illegal? and if the restraunt serves alcohol even in the non-bar area that carry is prohibited?

If this is so I have been breaking the law for years every time I drive through Montana.

Bill in Washington

You are partly correct. If the establishment does not serve alcohol then you may open or conceal carry no restrictions.

To be safe, any establishment in which serves alcohol whether its in the non-bar area or not, you are prohibited from conceal carry and are required to open carry. The whole establishment is typically considered off limits for conceal carry due to the wording of the law. This would include places like Applebees, Montana Club, Red Robin, Actual Bars, etc.

I understand your confusion, I will update the sticky montana laws post to help clarify.

The actual law regarding conceal carry is 45-8-328(c) which is quoted below:
MCA 45-8-328 said:
45-8-328. Carrying concealed weapon in prohibited place -- penalty. (1) Except for legislative security officers authorized to carry a concealed weapon in the state capitol as provided in 45-8-317(1)(k), a person commits the offense of carrying a concealed weapon in a prohibited place if the person purposely or knowingly carries a concealed weapon in:
[...]
(c) a room in which alcoholic beverages are sold, dispensed, and consumed under a license issued under Title 16 for the sale of alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises.
[...]

*There was an attempt to fix this law this legislative session and the last legislative session, both times the bill was vetoed by the governor.*

Last edited:

Bill45

OK, So, I would assume that the best play here is to just open carry everytime one enters a restaurant. Even if the outside temp. is -20, just remove your coat as you enter. This law could cause problems if you are entering an unfamiliar restaurant that serves drinks and you do not know it.

It's a shame the law has not been clairified. If this law was enforced (assuming your concealed gun was noticed) a lot of unsuspecting folks can be caught up in a New Jersey style situation like that woman who crossed over from a neighboring state into New Jersey and got arrested for what was leagle in her state but a major felony in Jersey.
For instance in Wa. only the area that is off limits to persons under 21 is a no gun (any gun concealed or not) area. Which is a stupid law too as you can get just as drunk and stupid in the "family" eating area as at the bar.

How did Montana get a anti-gun Govenor? I expect firearm morons in Washington governent but Montana is a suprise.

pongo000

You are partly correct. If the establishment does not serve alcohol then you may open or conceal carry no restrictions.

To be safe, any establishment in which serves alcohol whether its in the non-bar area or not, you are prohibited from conceal carry and are required to open carry. The whole establishment is typically considered off limits for conceal carry due to the wording of the law.

I'm curious where you get this interpretation. The law specifically states "room," and in most family-style dining establishments the bar area is clearly delineated as a "room."

From what I've read about this, it's clearly a gray area, so to state that restaurant carry is "open carry only" is somewhat misleading.

Last edited:

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
I'm curious where you get this interpretation. The law specifically states "room," and in most family-style dining establishments the bar area is clearly delineated as a "room."

From what I've read about this, it's clearly a gray area, so to state that restaurant carry is "open carry only" is somewhat misleading.
For instance, Applebee's, McKenzie River Pizza, etc are places where there is no clear divisional wall between bar and restaurant, therefore it's all considered 1 room. Also, some places have draft taps in the restaurant areas to help in serving. Then you need to wonder, how open of a floorplan makes a room? When it comes to gray areas its typically recommend to error on the side of caution.

A fix to the law is in the works (did not make it this last legislative session). It is noted on both conceal carry sites and here at open carry that to be safe you should not conceal in a restaurant that serves alcoholic beverages. You are however welcome to do as you please or consult an attorney.

For reference the MT info from a concealed carry site, note the restaurant carry info: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/montana.pdf

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited: