• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Failure to identify - recap for the cops that skipped that class.........

OC for ME

Show me a law or case law that states traffic stops are considered arrests!
MO has a similar statute.

Arrest. - 544.180. An arrest is made by an actual restraint of the person of the defendant, or by his submission to the custody of the officer, under authority of a warrant or otherwise. The officer must inform the defendant by what authority he acts, and must also show the warrant if required.
A traffic stop in MO is a arrest.

Count

Founder's Club Member
If it is an arrest than incident to arrest the officer can search the person. The officer cannot search the person during a traffic stop. If he chooses to arrest instead of issue citation on the traffic offense than it is an arrest and the person can be searched. A traffic stop is a temporary detention..... Unless it becomes an arrest.......

Count

Founder's Club Member
I prefer a temporary legal detention over an arrest....... Maybe it's just me......

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
If it is an arrest than incident to arrest the officer can search the person. The officer cannot search the person during a traffic stop. If he chooses to arrest instead of issue citation on the traffic offense than it is an arrest and the person can be searched. A traffic stop is a temporary detention..... Unless it becomes an arrest.......

It just depends on who is defining it, and for what purpose.

For example, the courts seem to recognize a thorough search of the person incident to a custodial arrest. But, while some courts recognize a traffic stop or detention as an arrest, they will suppress the evidence from a search unless it started from a recognized exception to the warrant clause: officer safety pat down for weapons, etc. applicable within the limitations of Terry v Ohio and subsequent cases.

KBCraig

Does it matter?
It meets the definition of being seized according to the Fourth Amendment.

Exactly.

If you're not free to go, you've been "seized". If you reasonably believe you're not free to go due to positioning, size, numbers, authoritative demeanor, badges and uniforms, etc., you've been seized (and yes, that has been settled in case law also).

All the quibbling about "detained", "arrested", "investigatory stop", "Terry Stop", and such, are all erosions of the right to be free from being seized without a warrant issued upon probable cause.

Last edited:

OC for ME

Exactly.

If you're not free to go, you've been "seized". If you reasonably believe you're not free to go due to positioning, size, numbers, authoritative demeanor, badges and uniforms, etc., you've been seized (and yes, that has been settled in case law also).

All the quibbling about "detained", "arrested", "investigatory stop", "Terry Stop", and such, are all erosions of the right to be free from being seized without a warrant issued upon probable cause.
If it were not for the gun they carry most cops would be darn sure they had the law clearly on their side. As it stands now, that gun is the only reason a cop can demand your ID where no authority to do so may exist.

Count

Founder's Club Member
Maybe we should just ask Acevedo what rights he's willing to bestow on us...... Since our rights come from police chiefs we shouldn't bother reading case laws or that pesky Constitution...... Who cares about definitions: unlawful detention, lawful temporary detention, consensual encounter, reasonable suspicion, probable cause, arrest? You almost had me convinced there.....

carstensxd45

Anyone know what is happening to the bills right now?
Am afraid that the politicians are going to run out the clock so to speak, let it sit in committee until it is too late to get another vote. That way they can claim to support open Carry (to get votes) and yet let it die to pacify the anti crowd (getting their votes also), I really hope I am wrong! !!

Count

Founder's Club Member
From TSRA

Anyone know what is happening to the bills right now?
Am afraid that the politicians are going to run out the clock so to speak, let it sit in committee until it is too late to get another vote. That way they can claim to support open Carry (to get votes) and yet let it die to pacify the anti crowd (getting their votes also), I really hope I am wrong! !!

Session Ends June 1st
TSRA Priority Legislative Agenda

URGENT ACTION

HB 910 by Phillips and SB 17 by Estes-Licensed Open Carry
neither bill has completed the legislative process. The House bill is sitting in the Senate and the Senate bill is sitting in the House.
The links take you to a list of actions within the legislative process.

HB 937 by Fletcher and SB 11 by Birdwell-Campus Carry the Senate passed SB 11 early and the House moved HB 937 which is currently in Calendars Committee. This is the 4th Legislative session for this important personal protection issue. Check the links for bill progress to date.

My comment: We need to call all 31 senators and Dan Patrick. They can pass with no obstacles the HB910 licensed open carry anytime...... This link will take you to all of their info: http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/Members/Members.aspx?Chamber=S