Thread: Court setback for I-594 lawsuit

Court setback for I-594 lawsuit

SAF mulls next move after court setback on I-594 lawsuit

Second Amendment Foundation Executive Vice President Alan Gottlieb is mulling his next move after a federal district court judge today dismissed without prejudice the lawsuit against provisions of Initiative 594, the 18-page gun control measure passed by voters in November following a multi-million dollar campaign push by the gun prohibition lobby.

http://www.examiner.com/article/saf-...-i-594-lawsuit

Time to go for the single subject rule violation in state court. If I-695 in 1999 got thrown out for that, then surely I-594 must get thrown out. It covers tons of different subjects. Trying to claim that anything having to do with "guns" is a single subject is absurd, then I-695 from 1999 should have stood because it covered "taxes."

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    I sent this to my representative...feel free to use it to send to yours:

Rep. Hayes,

Can you please request an Attorney General's opinion regarding the sale of 12 Gauge Flare Guns at thousands of retail stores across Washington state in violation of RCW 9.41.113? I believe that a formal opinion from the Attorney General would greatly help in the fight to overturn this law.

Noedel Scientific has determined, correctly, that 12 Gauge Signal Flare Guns such as those manufactured by Orion and sold at Wal Mart are firearms, meeting the definition of such contained in RCW 9.41.010:
    http://www.noedelscientific.com/user/flaregun1.pdf

These "guns" are sold right off the shelves at thousands of retail stores across Washington without the background check required by RCW 9.41.113. As I am sure you will agree, the Attorney General, after supporting I-594, has completely washed his hands of the mess it's passage has created and it is time to hold him accountable.

Thank you for your support,
    I greatly look forward to your reply,

Very Respectfully,
    FYI:

it's = it is
    its = possessive form of "it"

Don't forget the evil high capacity powder actuated nail guns.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
    Time to go for the single subject rule violation in state court. If I-695 in 1999 got thrown out for that, then surely I-594 must get thrown out. It covers tons of different subjects. Trying to claim that anything having to do with "guns" is a single subject is absurd, then I-695 from 1999 should have stood because it covered "taxes."
    You don't seem to comprehend liberal genius. 695 is multiple subjects because it would constrain the taxing power of the government, which cannot be countenanced, while 594 is a single subject because gun ownership cannot be countenanced.

Quote Originally Posted by randian View Post
    You don't seem to comprehend liberal genius. 695 is multiple subjects because it would constrain the taxing power of the government, which cannot be countenanced, while 594 is a single subject because gun ownership cannot be countenanced.
    Then explain their refusal to overturn Chan v Seattle.

There is a chance they'll keep 594,but what do we have to lose? The longer 594 is on the books the more chance they'd keep it in the end anyway if the same suit gets brought years later. There is literally nothing to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
    Then explain their refusal to overturn Chan v Seattle.
    Sometimes things are a little too black letter even for them. That doesn't change their general propensity.

Quote Originally Posted by randian View Post
    Sometimes things are a little too black letter even for them. That doesn't change their general propensity.
    So what do we have to lose? Leaving the law on the books? Looks like that will happen regardless. At least with the suit there's a chance it will be thrown out.

I-594 also constrained the taxing power of the government.
    Yes, but that constraint isn't nearly as general or all-encompassing.

There is a loophole for the nail guns.
    Cite
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Not a "gun" cuz it is painted safety orange.

http://www.ramset.com/pdfs/XT540SellSheet-withMAG.pdf

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Well,,,

Looks like a Gun to me...
    With a silencer on the front,
    A fully automatic Piston return and
    it accepts a XT Mag attachment!!!

Oh My!!
    Last edited by 1245A Defender; 05-19-2015 at 08:38 AM.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Ramsets or similar are powered by gunpowder or something similar.

And they are not quiet at all.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Ramsets or similar are powered by gunpowder or something similar.

And they are not quiet at all.
    +1 and they recoil too.
    Throw me to the wolves and I will come back leading the pack.

Sales Tax

And nobody that has the authority will request an attorney general's opinion regarding Wal Mart and other sporting goods stores performing sales that are felonies, which I don't understand why because it would be an official record how ridiculous the law is.
    It just occurred to me the sales tax caveat in 594 should apply to places like Wal Mart and WestMarine.
    I believe the sales tax can not be charged if the transfer is between unlicensed dealers?

My local Wal Mart is not a dealer and should not be able to charge me sales tax on a flare gun. I do not believe there is an exception if the unlicensed dealer just happens to be a retail store.

I suppose the worst they could do is kick me out for trying.

~Whitney
    The problem with America is stupidity.
    I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?