Thread: Armed civilians keeping the government at bay?

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Armed civilians keeping the government at bay?

Why are we not hearing about this in the state ran media? No fake left or fake right taking the bait?http://www.huffingtonpost.com/josh-h...2.htmlcFUQ-The events described above actually took place 2,800 miles away last week in Grants Pass, Oregon, where a band of gun-toting insurrectionists have gathered in response to a dispute between local miners and the Bureau of Land Management (BLM)
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

State Researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Why are we not hearing about this in the state ran media? No fake left or fake right taking the bait?http://www.huffingtonpost.com/josh-h...2.htmlcFUQ-The events described above actually took place 2,800 miles away last week in Grants Pass, Oregon, where a band of gun-toting insurrectionists have gathered in response to a dispute between local miners and the Bureau of Land Management (BLM)
    I saw this reported last week via Drudge, but don't recall what the original media was.

The HuffPost article you linked to was every bit as even handed in reporting on LACs as one might expect. [/sarcasm]

Most notably, while rioters in Baltimore did property damage and injured others, the armed Oathkeepers in Oregon seem to be peaceful so far as I can tell. Yet another example of my pet peeve that the media focuses far too much on the "armed" or "unarmed" status and not near enough on the "imminent threat to life and limb" status of persons involved in various events.

Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

I hadn't heard about it. And yes, the article stinks on ice as a piece of journalism and shows the typical utter lack of self-awareness and hyperbole that generally accompanies lefty writers.

As to the situation and dispute itself, I am now curious, especially since it involves supposedly deeded rights, a matter about which I have a bit of knowledge, supposed gov't overreach and OC. The pages practically turn themselves if I can find someone else writing about it.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

The reporting and words chosen in the article was definitely laughable.I like the statement about the OathKeepers being anti gov......hahaha..... Still interesting that the media doesn't talk about this scenario at all? Maybe its because people exercising the 2A actually works to some degree?

"Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    The reporting and words chosen in the article was definitely laughable.I like the statement about the OathKeepers being anti gov......hahaha..... Still interesting that the media doesn't talk about this scenario at all? Maybe its because people exercising the 2A actually works to some degree?
    The comment that killed me was "Their ability to maintain the rule of law hung in doubt."

Apparently it never occurred to the author that it is government playing fast and loose with the rule of law that causes the problems.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    The comment that killed me was "Their ability to maintain the rule of law hung in doubt." Apparently it never occurred to the author that it is government playing fast and loose with the rule of law that causes the problems.
    +1 I noticed that too...my thought was what law? It isn't even a constitutionally authorized agency.

The presence of this organization with all of their guns and implied threats is bad for the image of Josephine County, our economy, our local business, our tourist industry.
    Uh, the first folks to respond were your fellow Josephine County citizens, the Oath Keepers of Josephine County. Please correct me if I am wrong, I thought OCing in public, in OR, had not been made a criminal violation.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare