Thread: Excellent Resource: Firearm Litigation Case Tracker

Excellent Resource: Firearm Litigation Case Tracker

Mods may want to move this to a higher level forum at some point, but I always like to give our Virginia folks a first look at stuff like this.

While looking up the current status on Bonidy vs USPS (the Post Office parking lot carry case) I ran across a webpage which lists the current status of dozens of major gun cases across the country. Seems it would be an excellent candidate for a Bookmark in your favorite browser!

BTW, the Bonidy vs USPS appeal is still awaiting decision in the Tenth Circuit from oral arguments last October.

Firearm Litigation Case Tracker

TFred

Thanks. Good.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Founder's Club Member
    Thanks TFred.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Added to saved links.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

But it's still not a sticky in The Law Library. (nudge, nudge, wink, wink)

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    But it's still not a sticky in The Law Library. (nudge, nudge, wink, wink)

stay safe.
    Sure is be.......now.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Interesting research. Reading one of the cases (link below) brought a question to mind.

http://michellawyers.com/wp-content/...unction_19.pdf

It concerns the law in Virginia concerning carry on church property during services unless there is a good and sufficient reason
    http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+18.2-283
    18.2-283. Carrying dangerous weapon to place of religious worship.

If any person carry any gun, pistol, bowie knife, dagger or other dangerous weapon, without good and sufficient reason, to a place of worship while a meeting for religious purposes is being held at such place he shall be guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor.

While I fully understand and support the right of a property owner to prohibit firearms on his property I am wondering why the state is writing laws concerning the conduct on church properties. Doesn't this cross the line separating church and state? in recap, I agree the church can restrict possession of firearms on it's property but not sure that the state can create an overriding set of rules/laws that actually restricts the church's rights (i.e. A church can openly welcome it's members to carry weapons for self defense but city police could still show up on Sunday Mornings and detain/charge members they discern as carrying weapons on the way into church) [parody of officer "Not my job to decide if your reason is "good and sufficient" - that is up to the judge to decide"]. While we may prevail in the end, especially with supporting statements from the pastor, it could be an expensive ride.

My guess is that it is more history carry-over than anything else. See "The obligation to carry firearms" at http://www.saf.org/journal/16/Coloni...Regulation.pdf 1619 Virginia law that required bringing guns to church and set a fine for failing to do so .

If it's not the Indians it's going to be the zombies.

stay safe.
    Last edited by skidmark; 05-11-2015 at 05:21 PM.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wrearick View Post
    Interesting research. Reading one of the cases (link below) brought a question to mind.

http://michellawyers.com/wp-content/...unction_19.pdf

It concerns the law in Virginia concerning carry on church property during services unless there is a good and sufficient reason
    http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+18.2-283
    18.2-283. Carrying dangerous weapon to place of religious worship.

If any person carry any gun, pistol, bowie knife, dagger or other dangerous weapon, without good and sufficient reason, to a place of worship while a meeting for religious purposes is being held at such place he shall be guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor.

While I fully understand and support the right of a property owner to prohibit firearms on his property I am wondering why the state is writing laws concerning the conduct on church properties. Doesn't this cross the line separating church and state? in recap, I agree the church can restrict possession of firearms on it's property but not sure that the state can create an overriding set of rules/laws that actually restricts the church's rights (i.e. A church can openly welcome it's members to carry weapons for self defense but city police could still show up on Sunday Mornings and detain/charge members they discern as carrying weapons on the way into church) [parody of officer "Not my job to decide if your reason is "good and sufficient" - that is up to the judge to decide"]. While we may prevail in the end, especially with supporting statements from the pastor, it could be an expensive ride.
    I think that's another of the Byrd Administration laws. Just like the mask statute. He declared war on the klan and all kinds of half hiny laws were passed.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    And yes TFred....an excellent tool. Thanks!

Missing Hollis v Holder, et al
    http://www.sdslaw.us/#!nfa-cases/c1xu9