• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Excellent Resource: Firearm Litigation Case Tracker

TFred

Mods may want to move this to a higher level forum at some point, but I always like to give our Virginia folks a first look at stuff like this. :)

While looking up the current status on Bonidy vs USPS (the Post Office parking lot carry case) I ran across a webpage which lists the current status of dozens of major gun cases across the country. Seems it would be an excellent candidate for a Bookmark in your favorite browser!

BTW, the Bonidy vs USPS appeal is still awaiting decision in the Tenth Circuit from oral arguments last October.

Firearm Litigation Case Tracker

TFred

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
But it's still not a sticky in The Law Library. (nudge, nudge, wink, wink)

stay safe.

wrearick

Interesting research. Reading one of the cases (link below) brought a question to mind.

http://michellawyers.com/wp-content...iffs-Motion-for-Prelimianry-Injunction_19.pdf

It concerns the law in Virginia concerning carry on church property during services unless there is a good and sufficient reason
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-283
§ 18.2-283. Carrying dangerous weapon to place of religious worship.

If any person carry any gun, pistol, bowie knife, dagger or other dangerous weapon, without good and sufficient reason, to a place of worship while a meeting for religious purposes is being held at such place he shall be guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor.

While I fully understand and support the right of a property owner to prohibit firearms on his property I am wondering why the state is writing laws concerning the conduct on church properties. Doesn't this cross the line separating church and state? in recap, I agree the church can restrict possession of firearms on it's property but not sure that the state can create an overriding set of rules/laws that actually restricts the church's rights (i.e. A church can openly welcome it's members to carry weapons for self defense but city police could still show up on Sunday Mornings and detain/charge members they discern as carrying weapons on the way into church) [parody of officer "Not my job to decide if your reason is "good and sufficient" - that is up to the judge to decide"]. While we may prevail in the end, especially with supporting statements from the pastor, it could be an expensive ride.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Interesting research. Reading one of the cases (link below) brought a question to mind.

http://michellawyers.com/wp-content...iffs-Motion-for-Prelimianry-Injunction_19.pdf

It concerns the law in Virginia concerning carry on church property during services unless there is a good and sufficient reason
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-283
§ 18.2-283. Carrying dangerous weapon to place of religious worship.

If any person carry any gun, pistol, bowie knife, dagger or other dangerous weapon, without good and sufficient reason, to a place of worship while a meeting for religious purposes is being held at such place he shall be guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor.

While I fully understand and support the right of a property owner to prohibit firearms on his property I am wondering why the state is writing laws concerning the conduct on church properties. Doesn't this cross the line separating church and state? in recap, I agree the church can restrict possession of firearms on it's property but not sure that the state can create an overriding set of rules/laws that actually restricts the church's rights (i.e. A church can openly welcome it's members to carry weapons for self defense but city police could still show up on Sunday Mornings and detain/charge members they discern as carrying weapons on the way into church) [parody of officer "Not my job to decide if your reason is "good and sufficient" - that is up to the judge to decide"]. While we may prevail in the end, especially with supporting statements from the pastor, it could be an expensive ride.

I think that's another of the Byrd Administration laws. Just like the mask statute. He declared war on the klan and all kinds of half hiny laws were passed.