• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Denied

Whitetail1

I recently was denied the purchase of a firearm at a local gun dealer. I was given a web address to see why. The thing is I have a CCW license and absolutely no police record. I don't even have a speeding ticket on my record. I feel like my rights have been violated. I'm confused and don't know what to do. Any help would be appreciated.

OC4me

Contact SAF.org. Chances are they're not ready to challenge the background check system in court yet, however it wouldn't hurt letting them know you'd be available as a plantiff.

At the very least you could add your case to their list of examples of law-abiding victims of that 1968 Gun Control Act.

1968 - that super special magical year that Congress required criminals to buy their guns off the black market. Result: crime went up and billions of dollar wasted on a flawed-by-designed system that even if it worked, doesn't work!

Last edited:

JustaShooter

It is probably a case of mistaken identity. Go to the web address to see why, and file an appeal.

Whitetail1

Contact SAF.org. Chances are they're not ready to challenge the background check system in court yet, however it wouldn't hurt letting them know you'd be available as a plantiff.

At the very least you could add your case to their list of examples of law-abiding victims of that 1968 Gun Control Act.

1968 - that super special magical year that Congress required criminals to buy their guns off the black market. Result: crime went up and billions of dollar wasted on a flawed-by-designed system that even if it worked, doesn't work!

Thanks. It's BS though. Over the years I've purchased at least 20 firearms. Now all of a sudden I get denied. It's un-American. They are infringing on my constitutional rights!

solus

I wouldn't place too much concern over it as NICS is revamping their system w/new software and it could be nothing more than a hiccup in the roll out.

if this isn't the site given to you: http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/appeals/nics-appeals-process/appeals-home then not sure where you were directed.

finally, some FFLs run the background check even tho the buyer presents their CCW.

myriad of reason why the FFL ran it through NICS, new customer, olde CCW, or just cuz.

ipse

Last edited:

Brian D.

Gutshot, soon after Ky. started issuing CDW licenses, friend of mine there ran into a weird problem. He had the license but the next time he tried to buy a handgun locally, NICS denied it. Several years previously he had lived in Florida and gotten fined by their state wildlife cops for some sort of minor fishing violation. Paid the fine and forgot the matter.

Well, it seems that between then and the abovementioned gun purchase, Florida had retroactively made that old offense a much more serious crime. Kentucky state police didn't catch it but the Feds sure did. He had to find a KY based attorney also licensed to practice in Florida to clear that up, and she had to fly to Tallahassee and fix it in person!

What a mess.

XD40sc

I recently was denied the purchase of a firearm at a local gun dealer. I was given a web address to see why. The thing is I have a CCW license and absolutely no police record. I don't even have a speeding ticket on my record. I feel like my rights have been violated. I'm confused and don't know what to do. Any help would be appreciated.

Did you go to the website to see why?

1 year olds have been placed on the "do not fly" list because they are believed to be terrorists.

Clerical errors do not equate to denial of constitutional rights.