• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New from OH and holster question!

AnonCarryOH

Hi there everybody, I am new to the board and from Ohio. I have open carried a few times lately and have had some annoyance with a hip holster making my pants or shorts fall down! I had it strapped directly to my belt and while it works, it doesn't work well. I bought a drop leg holster off amazon to try out, and I absolutely HATE that thing. It retains the gun acceptably, but it just flops all around when you're walking around. I used to play airsoft as a kid and I dug out my old 'tactical' vest I had for that and pulled the belt out of it. It's a rather beefy nylon belt and I used one of the horizontal mag pouches attached to it to help keep my holster in a set position (The holster is molle compatible and so it has sort of long straps on it to fit through the 'webbing.') To get the buckle around the holster I had to remove my extra mag from the mag holder built in to the holster, but since the belt has two mag holders on itself, I used the second one to put my mag in. I'm posting some pictures so you guys can see my handywork and let me know what you think. I tried it out for a couple minutes after I concocted this idea and my pants no longer fall down which is great, and the firearm is secured extremely firmly to me so I think I could even run comfortably wearing this.
Let me know what you guys think!

uLPAxoa.jpg

WxR2Vne.jpg

b6LXicj.jpg

UIwbkR1.jpg

solus

well welcome to the forum as well as the never ending search for a holster you will love forever.

it appears you have also discovered the art of improvising (wondering aloud how on earth you would be able to draw the firearm from that concoction, but..)

if you read some of the olde postings, you might something to queue your interest on a proper method to hold your firearm where you want to carry it comfortably...

either way, enjoy your search and time out here as there will be more posters saying hello and offering their advice...

ipse

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Quite a rig you have there. Welcome to OCDO.

Like everyone else, I have used nylon and other synthetics as a belt, but I always return to Leather. I am a traditionalist.

By the By, I think I have that holster of yours somewhere in the "Black Hole Box of Holsters and belts" box in my shop.

AnonCarryOH

Maybe these two pics will clear up any confusion about how you would draw. It's actually a lot simpler than a pic without explanation may make it seem.

0qBsZKz.jpg

lum28lc.jpg

hjon71

I'm still new to holster carrying too. I kinda like your setup. I think noncarriers will appreciate the extra security of that strap and buckle but as mentioned it will negatively impact drawing. Better practice practice practice. Gotta link to share on where to buy? I like nylon over leather personally.

JoeSparky

Centurion
While I use and encourage others to use a retention style holster for any OC of a firearm, I am not aware of ANY law making the use of one a legal requirement. LEO's and others may have such a requirement as part of their employment agreements and mandates but that would be an employee-employer requirement.

I do see a potential for certain challenges if attempting to draw from this holster (as shown) in a crisis/emergency as the strap across the backstrap of the handgun and the large buckle would most certainly impede an appropriate grip and draw without first taking the extra time to actually release the buckle and more it and the strap out of the way before drawing said firearm.

All the above said, how you lawfully carry is completely up to you.

Good luck!