Thread: Providence Journal - RI S. Ct. rules Police chiefs "shall issue" gun carry permits

Moderator / Administrator

Providence Journal - RI S. Ct. rules Police chiefs "shall issue" gun carry permits

http://www.providencejournal.com/art...13831/?Start=2

SNIP

In the midst of this legislative session, state Supreme Court Justice Gilbert Indeglia, writing for the entire court, handed down an opinion in Gadomski v. Tavares that has been hailed as a landmark decision (“Court ruling opens door for concealed gun permit," April 24).

. . .

“[a]s a matter of policy, this Court will not countenance any system of permitting under the Firearms Act that would be committed to the unfettered discretion of an executive agency." Moreover, “[the Court] noted that any rights flowing from Article I Section 22 of the Rhode Island Constitution [which says simply, ‘The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.’] would be illusory, of course, if [they] could be abrogated entirely on the basis of an unreviewable, unrestricted licensing scheme."

. . .

Moderator / Administrator

Status of open carry in Rhode Island

What is the current state of the law as to openly carrying in RI with police chief issued carry permits?

Congrats to Rhode Island!

Admittedly it's not yet "shall issue" in the way many of us know that term but it sure beats having to be politically connected or the winner of some lottery in order to get approved.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

That's good. Thankfully when I lived in RI, my police chief was very 2A. While I had to go through some minor hoops, it was fairly easy to obtain a permit. As far as I know, OC is not permitted in RI.

http://www.studentofthegun.com

You can open carry in RI, well kinda.

There is two forms of carry licenses available in Rhode Island, you can get a license to carry from your local police chief, which is in theory supposed to be shall issue, but if you read the Rhode Island statutes title 11 chapter 47 section 8, that makes carrying a handgun without a license openly or concealed a crime, well the police chief issued license is authorized by statute 11 chapter 47 section 11, which states the license shall permit concealed carry,

One could also be issued a license by the Attorney General of the state of Rhode Island, that is a May issue license. It is authorized by statute 11 chapter 47 section 18, The attorney general license authorizes open carry and conceal carry, but is harder to obtain
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member