Thread: Open Carrier Bullied by Protesters at Seattle May Day 2015

Open Carrier Bullied by Protesters at Seattle May Day 2015

Below are links to 2 videos I shot at May Day, Seattle, 2015. They include a man, identified as Shayne Butts, attending May Day in Seattle. He was legally carrying a slung rifle and peacefully addressing members of the crowd and media when he was called racist by one of the protesters. He was not accused of being a racist because he used racist words or suggested racist things. He was called a racist because he was carrying a firearm. I even heard the dumb woman in the video call his GUN racist. Having witnessed this incident, I can tell you, Butts acted with nothing but respect and conducted himself in a way that would make any free person proud.

Video 1: Initial reactions to Shayne while he talked with crowd members and answered questions from the media:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR_t5r0qznI

Video 2: The bullying continues into the march:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8M347Ivi_I

-Rogue Reflections -
    www.roguereflectionsphotography.com

Woah, the protesters who called him racist, it may be possible that some may be looters ? Last thing the looters probably want is arm civilians.
    Last edited by dinocoor; 05-12-2015 at 08:13 AM.

Hey Rogue were you OCing during this or during the May Day events? Couldn't see from the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
    Hey Rogue were you OCing during this or during the May Day events? Couldn't see from the video.
    I was indeed.

When I was growing up, I was taught that the "good guys" smile, and the "bad guys" wear black and hide their faces.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	badguy.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	12519

Hmmmm....

Name:	swat_team1.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	12520
    Rev. Robert Apgood, Esq.

A right cannot be lost by exercising it. McDonald v. Chicago, 561 U.S. 3025, 130 S. Ct. 3020, 3021, 177 L. Ed. 2d 894 (2010) (citing Near v. Minn., 283 U.S. 697 (1931)).

Although IAAL, anything I say here is not legal advice. No conversations we may have privately or otherwise in this forum constitute the formation of an attorney-client relationship, and are not intended to do so.

Masked faces and guns are freighted, be they Anonymous or good guys.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueReflections View Post
    I was indeed.
    So they were following this guy harassing him while ignoring your sidearm while you were walking right next to him...

They must have been hypnotized by the evil, scary and BLACK long gun!

Looks like the gun had lugs for a bayonet - bring it next time....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Verbal assault. Harassment. Mob action

Folks so scared of guns they can't stay away from a person with a gun. And go so far as to get in his face. Incredible restraint.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

No Bayonets in City of Seattle

Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    Looks like the gun had lugs for a bayonet - bring it next time....
    Unfortunately, Seattle has restrictive knife laws that prohibit carrying of any fixed bladed knife, no matter how small, explicitly including bayonets. Plus folding knives above a small size are prohibited. I think a bayonet could give the police the excuse they are looking for, so he's smart to leave it at home. Even carrying it in a pouch could get him in trouble. This is a city issue only, though. State-wide, carrying bayonets is fine.

-- Sandy (WA)

(Citation: SMC 12A.14.010)

Quote Originally Posted by RogueReflections View Post
    Below are links to 2 videos I shot at May Day, Seattle, 2015. They include a man, identified as Shayne Butts, attending May Day in Seattle. He was legally carrying a slung rifle and peacefully addressing members of the crowd and media when he was called racist by one of the protesters. He was not accused of being a racist because he used racist words or suggested racist things. He was called a racist because he was carrying a firearm. I even heard the dumb woman in the video call his GUN racist. Having witnessed this incident, I can tell you, Butts acted with nothing but respect and conducted himself in a way that would make any free person proud.

Video 1: Initial reactions to Shayne while he talked with crowd members and answered questions from the media:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR_t5r0qznI

Video 2: The bullying continues into the march:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8M347Ivi_I

-Rogue Reflections -
    www.roguereflectionsphotography.com
    Wow. A GUN being racist. Guess the term "black rifle" is pretty racist too.
    Come to think of it, there's a lot of racist objects out there: black powder, white rice, brown rice, black beans, yellow chili peppers, Red Hot Chili Peppers...

Props to the LGOCing man for remaining calm and collected, and especially for not being a hypocrite about Human Rights such as Freedom of Speech, unlike the incredibly rude and aggressive bunch that surrounded him.

Quote Originally Posted by dinocoor View Post
    Woah, the protesters who called him racist, it may be possible that some may be looters ? Last thing the looters probably want is arm civilians.
    Their reasoning (if we use the term very loosely) is that a black person would be shot on sight if they LAWFULLY carried a slung long arm. *searches for thread detailing the non-event and relatively non-publicized Long Gun Open Carry (LGOC) march organized by the Huey P. Newton Gun Club.*
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Young Man View Post
    Wow. A GUN being racist. Guess the term "black rifle" is pretty racist too.
    Come to think of it, there's a lot of racist objects out there: black powder, white rice, brown rice, black beans, yellow chili peppers, Red Hot Chili Peppers...

Props to the LGOCing man for remaining calm and collected, and especially for not being a hypocrite about Human Rights such as Freedom of Speech, unlike the incredibly rude and aggressive bunch that surrounded him.

Now the next step is to carry the giant Gadsden Flag

Their reasoning (if we use the term very loosely) is that a black person would be shot on sight if they LAWFULLY carried a slung long arm. *searches for thread detailing the non-event and relatively non-publicized Long Gun Open Carry (LGOC) march organized by the Huey P. Newton Gun Club.*

http://www.pbs.org/hueypnewton/actio...itolmarch.html

There's the Black Panthers carrying "assault rifle." Quick! Shoot them with the camera!

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Folks so scared of guns they can't stay away from a person with a gun. And go so far as to get in his face. Incredible restraint.
    That always gets me too. They like to claim that gun owners are so violently dangerous they can't be tolerated in society...and then they go right up to a guy with one and antagonize him. If he were even a tenth as dangerous to public safety as they claim, none of them would survive.

The crowd would have dropped by 3/4 had the "I wanna be a photojournalist" idiots weren't all hopped up on the fantasy of wartime imagery. "I'm not here to protest. I'm here to take pictures of blood and violence. For science."

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rapgood View Post
    When I was growing up, I was taught that the "good guys" smile, and the "bad guys" wear black and hide their faces.Click image for larger version. 

ID:	12519Hmmmm....Click image for larger version. 

Well played! Good sir!
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Incase you all don't know. Shane Butts was the Gasmask guy at the Capitol Rally in January.

Name:	gasmask.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	12524
    WA Guns
    "There is no such thing as a free lunch, but there is always free cheese in a mousetrap."

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Is he related to Seymore?
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Incase you all don't know. Shane Butts was the Gasmask guy at the Capitol Rally in January.

Oh. Well in that case, he has no credibility.

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Is he related to Seymore?
    (_._)

+1

Quote Originally Posted by rapgood View Post
    When I was growing up, I was taught that the "good guys" smile, and the "bad guys" wear black and hide their faces.

ID:	12519

Hmmmm....

Never met a politican huh? All bad people, all smile really well.
    "I'm just a no-account screed-peddler" Dave Workman http://goo.gl/CNf6pB

"We ought to extend the [1994] assault weapons ban" George W Bush

"The Bush Administration declared a permanent ban today on almost all foreign-made semiautomatic assault rifles." George Bush Sr, New York Times on July 8, 1989

"I support the Brady bill and I urge the Congress to enact it without delay." Ronald Regan.

"Guns are an abomination." Richard Nixon