Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: My encounter in Berea

  1. #1
    Regular Member NomadMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    50

    My encounter in Berea

    My wife and I were traveling through Kentucky and we pulled off the interstate in Berea to get some gas at the BP. After filling up I went into the store, but checked the door to make sure there was mot a “No Firearms” sign first, which there was not. In my home state, Mississippi, I open carry everywhere and all the time and when I travel I open carry wherever legal. As I stepped through the door the young lady behind counter looked at me, smiled and said “Good Morning.” She saw my firearm, not hard to miss as I carry a Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt on my hip and I smiled and said, “Good Morning.”

    I purchased a coffee and then went into the restroom. When I came out I saw a lady at the counter wearing a “Everytown for Gun Safety” T-shirt. I read her T-shirt out loud and then said, in the most polite voice I can muster, “All right, I’m all for gun safety.” She slowly turned toward me and gave me the ugliest and meanest look I have ever seen in my life, and I just smiled at her. But the best part was the young lady behind the counter who was wearing a huge grin and smiled at me.

    Carry on Kentucky!




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Accomplished Advocate BB62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,887
    Quote Originally Posted by NomadMan View Post
    ...When I came out I saw a lady at the counter wearing a “Everytown for Gun Safety” T-shirt. I read her T-shirt out loud and then said, in the most polite voice I can muster, “All right, I’m all for gun safety.” She slowly turned toward me and gave me the ugliest and meanest look I have ever seen in my life, and I just smiled at her. But the best part was the young lady behind the counter who was wearing a huge grin and smiled at me...
    Thanks for brightening my day!

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Cincy area, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    890
    NomadMan,I wonder if the lady with the t-shirt was local? If so she might not be the only anti-gun resident, thanks to the college town influence. But if YOU lived there, you'd be able to list all of 'em by name.

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran deepdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southeast, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,974
    Quote Originally Posted by NomadMan View Post
    My wife and I were traveling through Kentucky and we pulled off the interstate in Berea to get some gas at the BP. After filling up I went into the store, but checked the door to make sure there was mot a “No Firearms” sign first, which there was not. In my home state, Mississippi, I open carry everywhere and all the time and when I travel I open carry wherever legal. As I stepped through the door the young lady behind counter looked at me, smiled and said “Good Morning.” She saw my firearm, not hard to miss as I carry a Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt on my hip and I smiled and said, “Good Morning.”

    I purchased a coffee and then went into the restroom. When I came out I saw a lady at the counter wearing a “Everytown for Gun Safety” T-shirt. I read her T-shirt out loud and then said, in the most polite voice I can muster, “All right, I’m all for gun safety.” She slowly turned toward me and gave me the ugliest and meanest look I have ever seen in my life, and I just smiled at her. But the best part was the young lady behind the counter who was wearing a huge grin and smiled at me.

    Carry on Kentucky!
    +1 Nice!
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

  5. #5
    Regular Member self preservation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Owingsville,KY
    Posts
    1,039
    Great story. That's one thing that I love about OC, once in a great while you can piss of an anti. I hate when people say "I don't OC because I don't want to offend/scare the sheep/liberals." It will be a cold day in hell when I care about their feelings.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

    self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Rusty Young Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Árida Zona
    Posts
    1,648
    Quote Originally Posted by NomadMan View Post
    SNIP...I purchased a coffee and then went into the restroom. When I came out I saw a lady at the counter wearing a “Everytown for Gun Safety” T-shirt. I read her T-shirt out loud and then said, in the most polite voice I can muster, “All right, I’m all for gun safety.” She slowly turned toward me and gave me the ugliest and meanest look I have ever seen in my life, and I just smiled at her. But the best part was the young lady behind the counter who was wearing a huge grin and smiled at me.

    Carry on Kentucky!
    Welcome to OCDO and greetings from sunny, dry Arizona NomadMan!
    Sounds like a great experience. Definitely brightened my day as well.

    Add.: I see now you have actually been a member since December 2013. I only saw the post count. My bad.
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 05-12-2015 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Addendum
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

    “Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

    "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

  7. #7
    Regular Member NomadMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by self preservation View Post
    Great story. That's one thing that I love about OC, once in a great while you can piss of an anti. I hate when people say "I don't OC because I don't want to offend/scare the sheep/liberals." It will be a cold day in hell when I care about their feelings.
    Yep, that is one of my many reasons for OCing. When you OC you wear your politics on your hip :-)


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northwest Kent County, Michigan
    Posts
    757
    Ya know, sooner or later a few enterprising OCers are going to get themselves some of those "Everytown for Gun Safety" shirts. I think they'd go rather well with a holster.
    Last edited by OC4me; 05-12-2015 at 10:34 PM.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Superlite27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    God's Country, Missouri
    Posts
    1,279
    Quote Originally Posted by OC4me View Post
    Ya know, sooner or later a few enterprising OCers are going to get themselves some of those "Everytown for Gun Safety" shirts. I think they'd go rather well with a holster.
    Oh, I've been wanting one for a long time now.

    The problem is, I haven't found any, second hand.

    I have been scouring Goodwill, swap meets, garage sales, and second hand stores for ages in my desire to acquire one of these wonderful things.

    UNDER NO CIRCUMTANCES SHOULD ANYONE DONATE $30 TO THEIR CAUSE TO PURCHASE A NEW ONE.

    If anyone has one of these items that would make such a wonderful statement: OC'ing while wearing an "Everytown for Gun Safety" shirt (I'd even buy an MDA shirt as they're easily recognizable) I will purchase one from you at the full price of $30, as sold new.

    I will NOT contribute a dime to their cause for it, however.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by Superlite27 View Post
    Oh, I've been wanting one for a long time now.

    The problem is, I haven't found any, second hand.

    I have been scouring Goodwill, swap meets, garage sales, and second hand stores for ages in my desire to acquire one of these wonderful things.

    UNDER NO CIRCUMTANCES SHOULD ANYONE DONATE $30 TO THEIR CAUSE TO PURCHASE A NEW ONE.

    If anyone has one of these items that would make such a wonderful statement: OC'ing while wearing an "Everytown for Gun Safety" shirt (I'd even buy an MDA shirt as they're easily recognizable) I will purchase one from you at the full price of $30, as sold new.

    I will NOT contribute a dime to their cause for it, however.
    What if we make our own shirts? "Every Open Carrier for Gun Safety"

    Or

    "OC'ers Demand Action for Common Sense in America"

  11. #11
    Regular Member cjohnson44546's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post

    Yes, indeed. Its not that I don't care if they are pissed, I want them to be. That is one of the best parts of OC. It really pisses them off. There you are, right there in front of them and there is nothing they can do about it. Even if they aren't anywhere close by, they are pissed. My OC really offends Nancy Pelosi, and that just makes my day.
    might want to watch out for those types of people… most aren't too smart, and can be rather scummy. I wouldn't be surprised if the situation was right (other witnesses that would lie for them), that they'd would call the police on you and say you threatened them with your gun and tried to kill/rob/rape them. Don't assume they cannot do anything, always watch yourself in any situation.

  12. #12
    Regular Member NomadMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by cjohnson44546 View Post
    might want to watch out for those types of people… most aren't too smart, and can be rather scummy. I wouldn't be surprised if the situation was right (other witnesses that would lie for them), that they'd would call the police on you and say you threatened them with your gun and tried to kill/rob/rape them. Don't assume they cannot do anything, always watch yourself in any situation.
    Has anyone else ever noticed that firearm carriers "never" talk about shooting someone, but liberals will frequently make such statements toward those who defend firearms?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Cincy area, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    890
    Some pro-gun guys started the Facebook page for the Ohio chapter of Everytown For Gun Safety before the antis realized what had happened. Gives me a chuckle whenever I go there.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •